corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Computer Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Computer Help
Sam.S

User status: Offline
3rd Oct 04 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, my computer has decided to pack in for a while (again!! ) so am just looking for any advice from what the problem could be.

Right yesterday it was fine, turned it off when i went out then came back home so i turned it on but nothing happened. I decided it could be one of those problems that fix themselves over night lol.

So when i woke up i turned it on, and yey, it was booting up. Then it decided to go into a kind of standby mode where nothing responds from the computer and the monitor turns off (onto the orange bulb thing). To turn the computer off i have to hold button in for 10 secs because one normal press does nothing.

Does this sound like a motherboard problem to you? or perhaps a power supply problem??

Thanks in advance
Andrew

3rd Oct 04 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure the motherboard is not touching any of the case. There should be either plastic or brass stands between the board and case.

It does sound either the motherboard or PSU to me.

BTW, i'm pissed off with computers now. Just fixed 2 last night and this morning. Done one for free cause he'a a mate but the other guy is paying for the work done

[Edited on 03-10-2004 by Peugeot Nut]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

3rd Oct 04 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how far into the bootup did it get?

did you get a windows splash screen?
Sam.S

3rd Oct 04 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I replaced the power supply to a 400 a fair few months ago, and that solved it for a while but it kept happening now and again. Eventually it kind of sorted itself out somehow...

The motherboard is not touching the case neither...
Sam.S

3rd Oct 04 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure what a windows splash screen is mate, but it got to the xp loading screen but then just turned off. Now it doesnt get no where.
Andrew

3rd Oct 04 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New motherboard time i think.
Andrew

3rd Oct 04 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there power getting to the system? i.e. any lights on?

Sam.S

3rd Oct 04 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

damn. most expensive part aswell lol.
Sam.S

3rd Oct 04 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, there is lights on. Now when this problem happened before the lights flashed. Now they just stay on constantly...
Andrew

3rd Oct 04 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything coming on the screen?

Dom

3rd Oct 04 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam.S
damn. most expensive part aswell lol.

not really mate...usually the processor is the most expensive part. You can pick up a bloody decent mobo for 60 quid
willay
Premium Member

3rd Oct 04 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam.S
not sure what a windows splash screen is mate, but it got to the xp loading screen but then just turned off. Now it doesnt get no where.

ok thats a good start, that windows xp loading screen is the splash screen.

Try going into safe mode.
Dom

3rd Oct 04 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Peugeot Nut
Anything coming on the screen?

he said that it loads to the XP startup screen

personally mate, grab a copy of your XP cd, go into your bios and set the first startup deivice to the cd drive and see if you can get it to boot into the XP cd. If it does then leave it for a while and keeping checking on it, to see if it switches off etc. If it doesnt, then reinstall XP and see if its that screwing around with the ACPI (think thats the one)
willay
Premium Member

3rd Oct 04 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and if you dont know what safe mode is..

quote:
How do I get into safe mode?
How do you get into Safe Mode? Very easily. When booting your system, as soon as the first (POST) screen appears showing your memory and hardware information, start pressing 'F8.'

The Windows XP advanced options menu will come up listing various boot options. As you can see, there are a few safe mode options available. 'Safe Mode' is the one we are interested in for now. 'Safe mode with networking' allows you to connect to other computers via a network, and also allows you Internet access if you are using an Internet sharing device connected to your network. Note that dial up connections like DSL will not work directly in safe mode. 'Safe mode with command prompt' does not attempt to load the Windows Explorer graphical interface, instead transporting you straight to XP's DOS-like command prompt.
Sam.S

3rd Oct 04 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no nothing comes on the screen at all. The monitor just turns onto the orange bulb thing (standby i think).

Well thats alright then but the motherboard is the hardest to fit
Sam.S

3rd Oct 04 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing is coming up on the screen at all now. It did this morning to the xp loading screen but then turned off. Now there is nothing at all.
Andrew

3rd Oct 04 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try and boot it from your XP CD. If you have no options in your BIOS to do this then download the bootable floppy files from the MS web-site.

It's now sounding just like a general software prob. Win XP is poo But it's the best one MS have done
Sam.S

3rd Oct 04 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still not working. When i switch it on nothing at all comes on the screen so i cant get into bios. I put the xp disc in and still nothing comes on the screen and the monitor stays on the orange bulb setting.
Corsa Sport Gav

3rd Oct 04 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it cud be a RAM prob... it happened to me.. the RAM kept on freezing, repalced it and all was fine
Sam.S

3rd Oct 04 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So did you have the same problem as me? where nothing responds, nothing comes on the screen what so ever?
Corsa Sport Gav

3rd Oct 04 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer, but sumtimeit would boot up, but i could be playing a game and it wud just freeze and i narrowed it down to RAM, might not be the same prob, but might be
James_DT

3rd Oct 04 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Try and boot it from your XP CD. If you have no options in your BIOS to do this then download the bootable floppy files from the MS web-site.

It's now sounding just like a general software prob. Win XP is poo But it's the best one MS have done

XP is far from poo. You don't know how to use car polish, I feel you cannot comment on such things.
Dom

3rd Oct 04 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

fook me mate, why dont you just repeat what i said however, i will agree with XP being shite....most people wont notice it because they just use word and are all happy with it, but as soon as you install some decent hardware and want to use it as a professional tool....its cack I have it falling over atleast once a day and have atleast half dozen errors come up about this and that and IE shat itself so its shutting down etc etc And it will usually fook up explorer (OS shell) and will restart itself....
if only i could go back to 2k

however back on topic, sounds like something is hashed for sure mate. Could be anything from the CPU, fried mobo to dodgy ram

[Edited on 03-10-2004 by VisibleMan]
MarkW

3rd Oct 04 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try running the machine on minimum - ie: motherboard, cpu, one stick of ram, and graphics card, everything else like pci cards etc remove them, and disconnect hard drives and cd drives - see if the computer will now fire up like this, and just get to the post screen (the bit where it does memory count etc) if this works then you know it is going to be a problem, with something you have removed / disconnected - so therfore reconect and put back in pci cards one by one...

if the computer don't come on, try to clear cmos and see if this helps - again tho onli run the machine on mnimum just to get it to POST

if this still does not work - how about trying another monitor? i know it sounds daft but if its on its way out this could be the root of ur problem.......

if all else fails ur gonna have to start replacing things, start with memory, cpu thn motherboard thn graphics card - try to borrow them from a m8, or another machine until u get to the root of the problem.. don't buy anything yet as someone will rip u off wiv shit advice... tho if you do fit a new motherboard u will need to reinstall windows...

sori about the s.a - hope it helps

New Poll