corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » in car pc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author in car pc
koolkorsa

User status: Offline
20th May 04 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been thinking about an in car computer as a summer project.

Up front i'd go for a 7inch touchscreen monitor - about 200quid.

Then I was thinking of using an old computer i've got at home P3 500Mhz, with lots of ram and i'll slap a new 40gb hard disk in. This spec would be all I need to run audio and video jukebox, GPS, reversing camera, PS2 emulator etc. off.

My main concern is powering the computer and screen. Whats the best way of doing it - some use invertors and others use completely new power supply units in the computer. What other issues should I be aware of?

I know M2RV H has got an in car computer but couldnt find much on the spec or set up apart from the dash mounted screen.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers.
Rob Withey

24th May 04 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Power supply, you can use an inverter + standard PC power supply (adequate), or use a DC to DC supply like the Opus (www.opussolutions.com) which is better.

For screen, a proper VGA screen is better than a composite screen in terms of quality.

For getting the sound to your speakers you have several options : tape adapter, aux-in, straight to your amp, fm modulator or a head unit modification as I did.

For control you can use keyboard, remote control (irman or uir), voice control, touch screen or others.

Rob (www.nav.to/robwithey)
--Dave--
Banned

24th May 04 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on another note, you'll need more than a P3 500 if you're going to be running a PS2 emulator on there mate. I realise that you'll be needing to keep the space down to a minimum but those specs won't cut it.

Maybe for a PS1 emulator though, some great games on there. Track and field, Micro machines, the original Gran Turismos etc etc...
Wolf In Welsh Clothing

24th May 04 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just chip an Xbox and put linux on it, its legal and you can play games.
davemark

27th May 04 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go for it m8 im allready 80% there check out http://www.projectastra.co.uk

cheers

dave

[Edited on 27-05-2004 by davemark]
penfold82

28th May 04 at 01:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm planning on doing this when i can find a mini ATX board that can provide me with the specs i need.

Good suggestion is a wireless network card. Have one on ur pc in the home and it makes it piss easy to send files to your car.

The knightrider generation hav come out ta play
Richie

29th May 04 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get wireless network USB adaptors, kinda the same as bluetooth ones but on the wireless network specification.
davemark

31st May 05 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

please check out http://homepage.ntlworld.com/davemark/cice/cice.htm

dave
VegasPhil
Premium Member

1st Jun 05 at 00:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a Compaq Evo Desktop, or a Dell Optiplex machine from eBay. Small stuff

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » in car pc 25 database queries in 0.0109851 seconds