corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Anyone had there head skimmed?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone had there head skimmed?
Macca_G

User status: Offline
7th Apr 03 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just took my car in today for a head gasket replacement and skimmed.......It was running pretty bad... just curious to know if anyone had this done and what the difference will be when i get my car back? Has anyone had this done will it feel a lot better do you think?
Kris TD

7th Apr 03 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only if that was the problem mate.
Macca_G

7th Apr 03 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, it was! You see i only got the car 3 months ago and ever since i got it, it has been running bad so i never actually felt the car when it was running good.....Just wanted to know if people felt a big difference when they had it done! Cheers
luca2020

7th Apr 03 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really, skimming the head will raise the compression ratio (tho it does depend how much u take off), which on small engined cars is benefical in performance, but on bigger engined cars not so much, and esp. not on turbo cars

u usually get ur head skimmed a few thou (1000th of a inch) if ur head gasket goes as a matter of precaution because u could of over heated the head and it might of bowed, so skimming assures a flat head
Demo

8th Apr 03 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 16v heads can be skimmed to a maximum of 12000th of an inch. any more and the valves will foul the pistons. and to be honest, you wont really notice any difference in performance as you can only skim it safely by such a small amount

New Poll