corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Pressure build up

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pressure build up
lee303

User status: Offline
7th Mar 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm, did you hone them at home? what was your ring gap? don’t mean to sound condescending but its a very hard thing to do and if you got oversized rings getting the bore size right is critical, also another silly question but did you separate the ring gaps round the piston?
could well just need bedding in though so try that before you panic imo using the correct oil for running in is critical too so get some comma running in oil or juts some cheap mineral oil from your motorfactors
mar_cus

7th Mar 11 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee303
hmm, did you hone them at home? what was your ring gap? don’t mean to sound condescending but its a very hard thing to do and if you got oversized rings getting the bore size right is critical, also another silly question but did you separate the ring gaps round the piston?
could well just need bedding in though so try that before you panic imo using the correct oil for running in is critical too so get some comma running in oil or juts some cheap mineral oil from your motorfactors

Yeah i honed them at home with the honing tool that you can connect to your electric drill, you don't sound condescending mate, don't worry about that, i need help thats why i've made the thread! As for the ring gap, i didn't measure it as i don't have a feeler gauge, but i did put it up against the origonal rings and they matched, so i assumed it would be ok, although i have been told assumption is the mother of all fuck ups! And i really can't remember if i seperated the ring gaps, but i've got a funny feeling i've left them in a straight line and not staggered them....
lee303

7th Mar 11 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is, if they were standard sized rings, and your bores are worn or you’ve taken too much off with the honing tool, they may not give a good seal even when bedded in, and unfortunately as you didn’t measure the bores you wont know now, so tbh your best bet it to follow the method above and see how it is then, perhaps do a compression test, wet and dry, then go from there, post up how you get on

[Edited on 07-03-2011 by lee303]

mantamark

7th Mar 11 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why does your breather vent to atmosphere?
mar_cus

7th Mar 11 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
thing is, if they were standard sized rings, and your bores are worn or you’ve taken too much off with the honing tool, they may not give a good seal even when bedded in, and unfortunately as you didn’t measure the bores you wont know now, so tbh your best bet it to follow the method above and see how it is then, perhaps do a compression test, wet and dry, then go from there, post up how you get on

Yeah ok mate, well i guess i will have to do that then, nice one for your help, will post back with results. Hopefully get it sorted this weekend

quote:
Originally posted by mantamark
Why does your breather vent to atmosphere?

I never said it does?!
mar_cus

8th Mar 11 at 01:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, lee303, what if my ring gaps are all aligned and not staggered, what is going to be the result of that? I just have a feeling that they are aligned!
mantamark

8th Mar 11 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mar_cus
quote:
Originally posted by Cossie
oh sorry just explain it to y again get the engine idle and get someone to open the oil filler tap and close it while your watchin the exhaust to see any white exhaust.
if the engine continues with all that pressure bleeding than vent the oil breather to atmosphere before y f** th oil seals

Not 100% sure what your trying to say mate lol, the oil breather is to the atmosphere

Must have read that wrong.
DaveyLC

8th Mar 11 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Yeah i honed them at home with the honing tool that you can connect to your electric drill..

Expensive lesson learned there.
lee303

8th Mar 11 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Also, lee303, what if my ring gaps are all aligned and not staggered, what is going to be the result of that? I just have a feeling that they are aligned!

well, rings do rotate when they are in the bore around the pistons, so it wontl be a massive on going problem, but it may have caused some of the initial extra pressure, i would very much doubt that is your problem, the hand honing tool probably is though
Steve
Premium Member

8th Mar 11 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would you not just take the head to a company to hone it for you, surely wouldnt cost that much?
lee303

8th Mar 11 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the block? me personally yes, and i would want to measure the bores afterwards, and check ring gaps, thats the thing with the home tools, if your bores are already worn tapered or ovaled, you wont get rid of that as the stones aren’t good enough so you’ll just end up with a deglazed but still out of spec bore, and it seems stock rings have been fitted here, giving them even less chance of sealing
mar_cus

8th Mar 11 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what are you suggesting here, should I go ahead with trying to run it in the way you said lee303, or is it not worth it? If there is any hesitation that the rings are not going to bed, I'd prefer to split the engine and take the block somewhere to get properly honed. Bare in mind that the car does move and seems to run smoothly, minus this pressure build up!
lee303

8th Mar 11 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need to try and bed them in, you wont do any damage as such, if the bores are over sized those rings are no good anyway, follow the procedure then do a compression test, or preferably a leakdown test
mar_cus

8th Mar 11 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus that "honing" tool is described as a "de-glazing" tool, and I didn't do it for long, what are the disadvantages for using the 3 legged honing tool then?
mar_cus

8th Mar 11 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
you need to try and bed them in, you wont do any damage as such, if the bores are over sized those rings are no good anyway, follow the procedure then do a compression test, or preferably a leakdown test

Ok mate, will do it this weekend and see what happens, fingers crossed!
lee303

8th Mar 11 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good luck, hopefully they do just need a decent bedding in, the de glazing tool is fine for doing just that, taking glaze off the bores, but it wont correct any defects int he actual size of the bore with regards to ovality or taper that may be present in old bores as they centre off the existing bore, not any other reference point
thats the main disadvantage, plus most people don’t have the tooling to measure e a bore before and after honing, and its kinda essential...

[Edited on 08-03-2011 by lee303]

[Edited on 08-03-2011 by lee303]
DaveyLC

8th Mar 11 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
would you not just take the head to a company to hone it for you, surely wouldnt cost that much?

Steve
Premium Member

8th Mar 11 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what i would do if i was doing a head recon and i didnt have the suitable tools, just like i would take it somewhere to have it skimmed etc

i would find it more useful to me if there was something wrong with what i said, to be corrected with some useful info rather then just a laughing smiley

[Edited on 08-03-2011 by Steve]
harrisp

8th Mar 11 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
thats what i would do if i was doing a head recon and i didnt have the suitable tools, just like i would take it somewhere to have it skimmed etc

i would find it more useful to me if there was something wrong with what i said, to be corrected with some useful info rather then just a laughing smiley

This thread is about piston rings and honing the block and you are on about having the head honed and skimmed
Steve
Premium Member

8th Mar 11 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ffs, yes fair point

i know what i meant

Steve
Premium Member

8th Mar 11 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so in the last two days, i have called Miereles Skrtle and a block a head, whats wrong with me
DaveyLC

8th Mar 11 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give us a shout next time you are having a head honed Steve, I've got some sky hooks that need calibrating too.
pow
Premium Member

8th Mar 11 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need a left handed screwdrivers and some tartan paint as well
Steve
Premium Member

8th Mar 11 at 14:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

going mad
evo_69

8th Mar 11 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine did this exact thing wheni removed my inlet manifold and putting it back on trapped the breather pipe that goes round the back of the engine...have you checked that?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll