corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » oil pressure gauge fluctuation

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author oil pressure gauge fluctuation
sparkyunlimited

User status: Offline
16th Apr 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all....

I have had my c20xe rebuilt, during which a new oil pump was installed.

when i put it in the car i decided as it was a new build i would put an oil pressure and oil temp gauge in.

I have installed the sensors in the high pressure galleries that are normally blocked with a female allen head bolt - the one for the oil pressure is the normally blocked off turbo oil feed.

Whilst the engine runs fine and the low pressure light stays off, the electrical oil pressure gauge is really random, it jumps all over the place no matter whether the engine is hot or cold.

So... the question is.... despite it being a new oil pump, is there a possibility that the oil pressure relief valve is sticking??

there is the possibility that the gauge is faulty - the supplier has sent me a replacement sender which is exactly the same as the old one with random reading on the gauge itself.

has anyone else seen this??

cheers

dave
Nic Barnes

16th Apr 10 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what is it flickering to? is it completely at random? and it does this when sitting still and driving it?
sparkyunlimited

17th Apr 10 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is literally all over the place, up to 80 down to zero.... doesnt matter whether it is hot, cold, standtstill or driving.
davieslim

17th Apr 10 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the senders your using for the gauges are the specific to the gauge? i tried to use a genuine gm vdo sender and autogauge and the needle was all over the place
sparkyunlimited

18th Apr 10 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, the sender came WITH the gauge in the same box. From the lack of responses and the concentration on questions about the sender and gauge.. i am starting to think that it is not a classic sign of a faulty pressure relief valve... can anyone tell me the classic sign of a sticking valve?? would it throw up the low oil pressure light?
Nic Barnes

18th Apr 10 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take it garage get them to check it with an oil rpessure gauge.
Nic Barnes

18th Apr 10 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oil light only comes on with low pressure half the time its mostly no pressure and its too late.
sparkyunlimited

18th Apr 10 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i get what you mean.. but alot of the time the oil pressure gauge reads zero...
Think maybe i should spend more than £20 on a gauge kit!
Nic Barnes

18th Apr 10 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at 0, the light would be on as when you start the car the light stays on for a touch till it builds pressure.

if you ask a friendly garage if they have an oil pressure tester kit, get them to check it. cant really say if its the gauge for sure but more than likely is. if you are concerned i would get it checked properly.
sparkyunlimited

18th Apr 10 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

low pressure light goes out while cranking before it even fires... or right as it fires so dont think its serious... for what they cost i will just buy a new gauge.... cheers for your suggestions )

New Poll