corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Pressure build up

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pressure build up
mar_cus

User status: Offline
8th Mar 11 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evo_69
mine did this exact thing wheni removed my inlet manifold and putting it back on trapped the breather pipe that goes round the back of the engine...have you checked that?

Which breather pipe mate? The breather pipe from behind the engine is metal isnt it?
evo_69

12th Mar 11 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you look on the right hand side of your rocker cover theirs two breathers, a thick one and a thinner one...the thinner one goes down past the throttle body and behind back of the engine when i put my inlet manifold i trapped this pipe with my inlet double check that mate cause mine was doing the same thing.....
mar_cus

12th Mar 11 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evo_69
if you look on the right hand side of your rocker cover theirs two breathers, a thick one and a thinner one...the thinner one goes down past the throttle body and behind back of the engine when i put my inlet manifold i trapped this pipe with my inlet double check that mate cause mine was doing the same thing.....

Ive got this one going to atmosphere mate, i read about it somewhere on here! Where is it origonally meant to go? i've forgotten!
frainey

12th Mar 11 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont know if uve solved the problem and this may sound silly but did you put the headgasket on right way up?
mar_cus

12th Mar 11 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by frainey
dont know if uve solved the problem and this may sound silly but did you put the headgasket on right way up?

There is a picture of the headgasket on from my progress thread. I can't see how it could go any other way?
mar_cus

14th Mar 11 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update:

Ran the engine in today as advised by lee303, and the pressure has gone down slightly, but it may just be my head!

Go a video of the pressure release anyway, so you can see that...

http://img860.imageshack.us/i/ip7.mp4/

So, any more ideas? lol!
lee303

14th Mar 11 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, you need to do a compression test as it is, then drop a couple of drops of oil down each bore and test again, do one at a time, don’t oil all four pots then start testing, and remember to hold the throttle wide open when you do it and disconnect the ecu so it doesn’t fire fuel in while you’re testing, or even better if you know a mechanic who has one do a leakdown test instead, way more informative
does to me look like the rings haven’t sealed properly though, and as i said earlier without taking it apart to measure you won’t be able to say for sure why
mar_cus

14th Apr 11 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey, didn't want to make a new thread as seen as its all related to my initial post...so here it goes...

So I cracked open the engine to drop the pistons out and check the gaps were staggered.

Pistons 2 and 3 where fine, all the end gaps measured up to 0.4mm out of a maximum of 0.5.

Pistons 1 and 4 seemed to be not as well staggered, which made be believe this was my problem from what people have already suggested. Then I went on to measure the end gaps every ring was fine apart from the 2nd compression ring. One ring measured 0.9mm and the other measured 0.6mm - meaning they were 0.1 and 0.4mm out...how much of an effect will this have? I mean...this is such a ridiculously small amount!

Anyway the engine is built back up again, for more testing etc. but the pressure build up is still there, although it does seem to be not as much!
AlexW

14th Apr 11 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Staggered gaps is pointless, piston rings spin.
mar_cus

14th Apr 11 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i spoke to SBD today, very helpful just to point out.

And he mentioned that the 0.1 and 0.4 difference will mean anything, and he said the staggering does matter because if they are lined up you will just have a gap where you will loose compression.

So yeah, I need new piston rings. I measured the rings that were dodgy in each cylinder just to make sure the bores weren't shot, and they all measure the same. So yeah....

Where is the best place to get a decent set of rings that will fit....which are cheaper than vauxhall!
DannyB
Premium Member

14th Apr 11 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moving this to help zone shortly
mar_cus

14th Apr 11 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
Moving this to help zone shortly

Go for it bud, i did post in there originally - i just didn't get as much feedback as I did in here. Didn't mean to be a pain!
DannyB
Premium Member

14th Apr 11 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a pain mate

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll