corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » PROJECT (RUBY) flame red - crashed - gone :( new project started

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PROJECT (RUBY) flame red - crashed - gone :( new project started
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Dec 11 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good update mate.

Redtop looks mint,looks lovely all painted up.

What centre section you running off manifold? Is it a sportex backbox aswell?

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
Ad Blue B

6th Dec 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is outstanding well done mate!
sparcost3

6th Dec 11 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys .. and im not running it on that green filter im using the other silicon and silver 1.. but like you say i think a heat shield and maybe an better intake would be a good idea

now also looking for a 3 gauge pillar pod and gauges subtable for an xe
sparcost3

11th Jan 12 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

up
Jed D

11th Jan 12 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love scrolling down quick looking at the pics with the 8v in, 8v out, xe ready, xe nearly in, xe in hahaha
its like an old tom and jerry cartoon
good work
Corsab1999

11th Jan 12 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loving this one looks mint mate. Flame red ftw! wouldnt mind mine looking like this.. maybe one day lol
sparcost3

29th Feb 12 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
i love scrolling down quick looking at the pics with the 8v in, 8v out, xe ready, xe nearly in, xe in hahaha
its like an old tom and jerry cartoon
good work

haha yeah
sparcost3

29th Feb 12 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DansCorsaSXi
Good update mate.

Redtop looks mint,looks lovely all painted up.

What centre section you running off manifold? Is it a sportex backbox aswell?

no mate exhaust system is old standard 1 that will be re done soon
sparcost3

23rd May 12 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new pics tonight
eckers90

4th Jun 12 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where are these pics dipshit?
sparcost3

22nd Aug 12 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there on there way now james just sorted the camera..
sparcost3

22nd Aug 12 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here are the long awaited pictures as promised. Many thanks to Tom, harry and james for helping me build the engine

bought a nice set of silicon hoses 60 quid and swap for my black standard 1s

painted splitter and grill + refitted to bumper

bottom end before going back in the car after re honing and building up from scratch

now here is rebuilding the head

it has been skimmed which cosst me £30, pressure tested and cleaned

i have replaced all stem seals with new ones

i have polished compressed and lapped all of the valves and checked for a good seal on each of the 4 groups

fitted an expensive high quality head gasket and re fitted the head to the block using the corect sequence and torque values

re fitted hydraulic lifters and cams

fitted new cam belt kit, set up the timing and fitted the stainless belt cover

replaced the rocker cover gasket and fitted the rocker cover

4 new high quality spark plugs and beuru HT leads

i then fitted the inlet manifold and exhaust manifold

i then welded up a stainless decat - flexi alignment bypass pipe to fit against standard system from the old 1.4

the engine was now nearly ready to go

i fit my final parts such as hoses, intakes, slimline fan, strut brace etc and re fit my gsi bumper using bonnet pins to get rid of those nasty pannel gaps that all gsi bumpers are known for - they also suit the track look a treat.

finally i have painted up my oil cooler and made a gear linkage by cutting adding a 12mm spacer and re welding ( although i later replaced this with a quickshift linkage)

finally i resprayed my headlights and front grill to give it a more standing out gloss black mean effect

and there she is with my friends LET and our motorbikes (dt 125s )

sparcost3

22nd Aug 12 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now i have done about 700 out of 1000 running in so well on the way for a first track day at castle combe! see you all there!

[Edited on 22-08-2012 by sparcost3]
sparcost3

22nd Aug 12 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another little goodie arived - twin carbon effect gauge pod and my mate gave me an oil temp gauge to go in it. looking to get water temp and voltage though

sparcost3

22nd Aug 12 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

next i decided to go for a rear disk converted axle and picked 1 up for a good price with pollybushes (think there powerflex) and goodridge braided brake lines.

i am in the process of refurbing this.

i have stripped down the disks and calipers, shot blasted the disks and repainted and started to prepare calipers to re paint. i am also buying a brake line flaring kit to make my own brake line fittings.

i have started to grind down and de-rust the axle of its surface rust ready to paint

then following the above it can be re asembled, bearings greased and swopped over

sparcost3

22nd Aug 12 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

respraying my morette headlights

nibnob21
Premium Member

28th Aug 12 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bay looks very tidy and simplistic

MX5 Project Thread
Sean

28th Aug 12 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking great!! Can't wait to rebuild my xe! Oh and do you have a link to the bonnet pins you used for bumper??
sparcost3

29th Aug 12 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i don't have a link anymore mate just type aluminium bonnet pins into google there only about a fiver
Christopher

30th Aug 12 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks awsome! Very fresh
sparcost3

30th Aug 12 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate finishing touches now then track day was coming trax this weekend but i have a few issues to solve with the car now
Nic Barnes

30th Aug 12 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks spot on, really good.
sparcost3

31st Aug 12 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks mate
sparcost3

6th Sep 12 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the corect inner cv joint for equal shafts?
sparcost3

22nd Aug 13 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right finally time for a 2013 update i think, well over half way through the year now

well some of you might have been wondering were ive been in the last 8 months? some of you will know exactly why ive not been at any shows or track days in my corsa this year. for those of you who dont know me and dont know il explain now.

first things 1st.... i missed the horseshoe pass meet in november lastyear as the night before i was doing some testing as id made a few adjustments to the mounting of the exhaust system as it was rattling and was annoying under harsh excelleration.. after thinking id sorted it i went for a test run up the nearby sliproad and hit some surface water that went up into the engine bay... resulting in the car cutting out... it wouldnt restart so i left it there and towed it home the next morning and couldnt get it to run and therefore missed the meet. the wether was really bad and heavy rain but i left a hairdryer on under the engine for about 3 hours and the engine finally roared back to life ( thank fuck no water had been sucked in through the intake ) the good news from this is after i replaced a few blown fuses the exhaust vibration problem was now solved.

everything was well then in the winter months i continued to use the car as a daily driver comuting 250 miles a week with no problems what so ever!

didnt really do much to it over winter as it was mint how id always wanted it really....

maintained oil and changed the cv joint before new year.

then unfortunatley on the friday ithink it was the 14th jan whilst taking my mate home at about 1am i was going a bit to fast for the conditions as it was about 0 degrees and had been raining erlier in the night wasnt really thinking about what i was doing, braked to late for a corner.. thee breaks locked up and i could not turn atall going directly streight instead of left and had a crash.

the crash itsself wasnt that bad...

i had some wiring issues again the week before the acident with the starter motor shorting out and i had to jumpstart the car after work. i tried to fix the problem when i got home but it was a bit of a temporary bodge being honest that was doing the job until the weather warmed up but wasnt ideal.

the crash itsself i recon i was doing maybe 30 MPH at the point of impact with the curb. redtop owners will know the engines sit low anyway let alown when the cars lowered by 60-80mm but the sump was instantly ripped clean off and a hole put in the gearbox (as i found chunks of both over the pavement and could see were the oil emptied after hitting the curb) i think this probably slowed the car down a good bit more before i was airborn through a bush and came to rest with the left wing just bouncing off/into a tree.

instantly a huge load of steam/ smoke came from under the bonnet so i asumed id bust the radiator and it was steam... luckily the bucket seats and harnesses did a great job as we both walked away scratch and injury free although guttingly the same good outcome wasnt to be for the car we jumped out and i opened the boot to try and disconect the battery but couldnt and i was so stupid i never fitted a kill switch..... a few minuits later the worst thting ever happened... the car started trying to turn over without the key in and the small flames apeared under the back of the engine. i called the firebrigade and tried to put it out with my extinguisher through the pasanger wheel as ive always been told to keep the bonnet down to minimise oxygen to the fire and helping it not grow bigger. before long about 7 unwanted police cars showed up and blocked off the road... and made us get back from the car..

about 7 years later the firebrigade came ( considering there based about 2 mins up the road i wasnt very impressed)

2 ambulences came and never even spoke to us or checked us the car was now a bonfire even though there was basicly no fuel in it and id totally stripped it out so not to sure exactly what was burning but there you go..... it all burnt basicly :/

that was the end of a bloody good car and 5 years of bloody good fun. i salvaged hardly any parts from the car as they were way to badly burned or damaged which was shit expecially ruining 1 of few remaining mint c20xe engines. what a nob i am....

i will upload pictures of the crashed car for you and then some of my favourite pictures of how the car when it was at its best as a final goodbye/ R.I.P

after the crash i bought a astra 1,7 cdti as a runaround / to get to work. still have it now and it does the job...

BUT! i was determined to build a new corsa so for 3 months i spent every night looking for a good base for an even better project!

i found 1 around march for a bargain price with a full respray and gsi kit as a rolling shell and once i have uploaded the above mentioned pictures i will start a new project log for the new car thanks for reading hopefully see you in the new car at some track days and shows next year!

thanks, steve.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » PROJECT (RUBY) flame red - crashed - gone :( new project started 24 database queries in 0.1079581 seconds