corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....

New Poll
  <<  94    95    96    97    98  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Aug 13 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

7 tbh.

Steve
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How are people going to justify it when it has the same build quality as every other phone out there.

Probably say "its superior plastic"

Jobs would no way have let his phones get made out of plastic btw.
LeeM

10th Aug 13 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably be cheaper than the competition. but it will also probably be superior plastic as well
Balling
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
How are people going to justify it when it has the same build quality as every other phone out there.

Probably say "its superior plastic"

You do realise it's a budget phone designed as an alternative version on sale along the regular iPhone?

Balling
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, who are these "people" who need to justify it? And what exactly do they need to justify? And to whom?

Dom

10th Aug 13 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple manufacture premium products, that's what they are known for and what they are good at. They're simply undermining themselves producing this 'cheap' phone and what they've built up over the last 10 years.

Like Steve said, i'd be very surprised if Jobs actually signed off on this (not that we'll ever find out). Rather it sounds like one of Cook's bright ideas, a knee-jerk reaction to their shrinking market share - in my opinion, is more down to their lack of real innovation to keep them ahead of the curve, which now has caught up and beginning to supersede.

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Also, who are these "people" who need to justify it? And what exactly do they need to justify? And to whom?

I assume he means fanboi's who belittle other manufacturers based on build materials used in their products.

[Edited on 10-08-2013 by Dom]
A2H GO

10th Aug 13 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

You mean like the iPhone 3G/S
smcGSI16V

10th Aug 13 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got an iPhone 5 32gb for free through my mrs work to replace my aged 4s. Rather quite nice tbh.
gooner_47

10th Aug 13 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does your missus fancy getting me a free iPhone 5 too?
Rob_Quads

11th Aug 13 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Ignoring the whole 'justify' ....but the 3G/S was Plastic so yes Jobs would have developed such a phone

There are many reasons why people might go for a cheaper iPhone, a perfect example is if one 1 person has an iPhone with lots of investment in the apps then if a wife / child buys the cheaper phone then they will be able to use all the apps that they have already bought.

Obviously its going to be a lower spec product but that doesn't mean quality.

For the last few years they have shown there is a huge market for one by the fact that the year old models were still selling a lot

[Edited on 11-08-2013 by Rob_Quads]
John

11th Aug 13 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course there is a huge market for poor people to have a high end product.

If Rolex brought out £200 watches they'd sell like hotcakes.

It dilutes the brand and although will sell masses at the start, won't be sustainable.

It's difficult for what I call medium high end brands now (I know it's a long time before Apple are in any trouble).

The really expensive stuff, those people will always be rich and it's not a problem. Apple type stuff, although more expensive than competitors, isn't massively expensive.

The less exclusive they appear to become, the easier it is to pick the alternative.
Steve
Premium Member

11th Aug 13 at 08:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who's talking about a 3gs I said Jobs wouldn't have sanctioned a plastic phone. I assumed people would have the intelligence to assume I was talking about the present not quite a few years ago.

So my point still stands, jobs wouldnt be making plastic phones imo
A2H GO

11th Aug 13 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK Steve.

Let's be honest, even a ''cheap' apple phone won't be cheap and will still be high quality (that's already apparent from the images). Apple are struggling to attract previous non-apple customers, this will help ease the transition (ie. people will be more inclined if they don't have to pay a large amount more than their current non-apple phone).

It will also entice current 3G/3GS/4/4S owners who aren't bothered about having the 'premium model' to upgrade meaning all devices are 4" retina, perfect for devs. Will also make the 'proper' iPhone more exclusive again.
Steve
Premium Member

11th Aug 13 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something tells me you like Apple Products A2H?
sc0ott

11th Aug 13 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can tell a lot of you were very close friends with steve jobs.
Steve
Premium Member

11th Aug 13 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yh had him on MSN
A2H GO

11th Aug 13 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Something tells me you like Apple Products A2H?

Something tells me you don't.
Dom

11th Aug 13 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Let's be honest, even a ''cheap' apple phone won't be cheap and will still be high quality (that's already apparent from the images).

Tbf, you've complained about other phones being plastic in the past so why is this plastic cheap iPhone any different?

And producing a cheap version does and will, as John said, dilute the brand and premium image Apple has. The iPhone 5c will become stereotyped like the Porsche Boxster ie - 'The poor man's iPhone'.
Russ

11th Aug 13 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Let's be honest, even a ''cheap' apple phone won't be cheap and will still be high quality (that's already apparent from the images).

Tbf, you've complained about other phones being plastic in the past so why is this plastic cheap iPhone any different?

And producing a cheap version does and will, as John said, dilute the brand and premium image Apple has. The iPhone 5c will become stereotyped like the Porsche Boxster ie - 'The poor man's iPhone'.
doubt they care aslong as it makes billions.
also it's a great 'gateway' purchase as they like to say, buy iphone, buy ipad and then buy mac
A2H GO

11th Aug 13 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

I'm not promoting it I'm just saying. Plastic is fine for a cheap phone, not a top of the range/flagship one.

The MacBook Air was bought out as a 'cheap' alternative to the Pro, the iPad mini as a 'cheap' alternative to the iPad, none of which are particularly cheap compared to alternatives in the same market, this will be no different.

[Edited on 12-08-2013 by A2H GO]
A2H GO

11th Aug 13 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loved the original Mikey Shorts game(not that well known), they've released a new one, looking forward to giving this a go..

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mikey-hooks/id590500000?mt=8
jacko198

12th Aug 13 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gold?

Balling
Premium Member

12th Aug 13 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

At least Apple are owning up to the fact that plastic = cheap. A lot of phones are still reaching for the premium segment with a less than premium construction.

Not even sure if your Boxster comment was genuine or a jab at John.
Either way, I don't think the Boxster did much to dilute Porsche as a premium brand and I'm not sure I see this phone doing that for Apple either.

I honestly don't see this as being much different than Apple offering different ranges of iPod's.

John

12th Aug 13 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Porsche brand is well diluted now.

Boxters are fairly modern (compared to some other Porsches which are old and really cheap) but have plummeted in price.

Cayenne's are cheap used, bog sec 911's aren't particularly expensive now. They are bringing out a sub boxster model and a small 4x4.

The difference with these is that new, they are still pretty expensive, mostly 40k+.

An iPhone is £30 a month, which every dole scrounger has.

A £20 a month one will open it up to even more people. Good for people wanting an Apple product, not good for the brand.

As for Boxsters being the poor man's Porsche, for the moment, the Porsche brand can deal with that, and has heritage.

As an aside, I've not once said to anyone I owned a Porsche. I know my car is cheap, anyone who knows about cars knows my car is cheap.

How many people with an iPhone 3GCheap will lead with I've got a cheap iPhone, they won't, they'll all say they've got an iPhone.

I've said all along that the Apple bubble will burst, it started before I expected and happened exactly the way I said it would. You can only get away with bringing out exactly the same product year after year and charging a premium. The massive UI change is obviously already here, I think that's probably easier to speed through than phone hardware that was already well into development so we might just get a 5S this year, it will definitely have bigger hardware changes next year.

tl;dr

Apple can't get away with diluting the brand forever. They should be innovating and bringing out high quality products at premium prices, the way they want to make them, not trying to claw declining market share back and bringing out what the public think they want.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Aug 13 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the key difference, giving the public what they want, Jobs would only give the public what he wanted and was happy with.

<<  94    95    96    97    98  >>

New Poll