corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Computer O/S question

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Computer O/S question
cdcool1

User status: Offline
31st Mar 03 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, i've never used any form of linux before, but want to try it coz microsoft is doin my head in. I've downloaded Mandrake Linux, and basically want to know if, as with different versions of windows, you can just partition your drive, and have several o/s. for example, could i have 2 partitions, one with mandrake linux, and one with windows xp?

i have two 40GB harddrive, would i be just as well to put one O/S on each? but if i did this, would i beable to select during boot up which O/S to use?

cheers,

Dougie
Adam

31st Mar 03 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u Trotty or Super_si

both have used linux
stuyw

31st Mar 03 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can have a dual boot PC with linux and windows XP the same way as using different versions of windows
Super_si

31st Mar 03 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If youve got no experience,

Stop now i spent hours trying, your just aswell getting a Linux, mounting on windows in a GUI environment

Si
cdcool1

31st Mar 03 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it cant be that difficult can it?? or is it?

if they on seperate hard drives, i not really got anything to lose, coz if it all goes tits up, i can just re-format the linux hard drive and start again
Super_si

31st Mar 03 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put it this way. take everything you ever knowe about windows and forget it.
Installing is out the window. its called mounting, oh and then theres figuring which shell you want to run.

oh and linux telling you it doesnt like you £400 graphics card
cdcool1

31st Mar 03 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you had a look at mandrake mate?

http://www.mandrake.com/

seems very user friendly compared to other versions of linux which is more command line stuff

i thought shell was windows? isn't it bash with linux?
cdcool1

31st Mar 03 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and yes, i'd like to forget all about windows, but that aint possible, it bloody everywhere!!!
Brett
Premium Member

31st Mar 03 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Partition your drive into 2.
install windows on one partition.
install red hat linux on other partition.
linux comes with lilo (think it's called that), anyway it's a boot manager and will let you pick which O/S to boot up from.

Why u want linux tho?
everything on the planet is written for windows, unless you fancy yourself as a 'uber l33t hacker' or are hosting a web server (even tho IIS is 1000 times better) what's the point?

I find linux runs much slower than windows, don't expect much,
and Si's right about the gfx card thing, not much point having a 'superwooper graphics engine 5 squillion megabyte ram-boy massive 3" if you're gonna run linux

[Edited on 31-03-2003 by loafofbrett]
cdcool1

31st Mar 03 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've been recommended linux by quite a few people, saying its more powerful etc etc. i know everything is written for windows, hence the reson for wanting both O/S. i just want to learn about linux, because i know jack all about it, and i'm bored of windows and want something different

[Edited on 31-03-2003 by cdcool1]
buffcore_laney

31st Mar 03 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMHO, Linux is a poor mans Windows.

It has the same features, just no compatability

Have you looked into a new shell? The only one I remember is called HoverDesk.

[Edited on 31-03-2003 by buffcore_laney]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

31st Mar 03 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Super_si
Installing is out the window. its called mounting, oh and then theres figuring which shell you want to run.

Stop talking bullshit, its called mounting? no! Normally when you install something under a unix operating system you download the source code and COMPILE IT! and after you have compiled that you simply move the binaries into the right directories such as /usr/local/programname

Mounting is like mounting a filesystem all together, such as ISO9660 or something when putting a CD into the cdrom!
willay
Premium Member

31st Mar 03 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Why u want linux tho?
everything on the planet is written for windows, unless you fancy yourself as a 'uber l33t hacker' or are hosting a web server (even tho IIS is 1000 times better) what's the point?
[Edited on 31-03-2003 by loafofbrett]

are you fucking stupid? netcraft reports have shown that linux/unix has taken the web server market by STORM and rocks IIS, apache is used more and has 100x more function then IIS. get your facts right mate!
Brett
Premium Member

31st Mar 03 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

watch it willay

IIS is better, sorry.
I don't care what is more wide spread, just cause ppl see microsoft server as insecure. If admins pulled their finger out their ass there'd be no probs at all.

linux is shite, suck my ass
willay
Premium Member

31st Mar 03 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just shows how stupid you are, loads of people who HAVE A CLUE will be laughing at your dumb ass :/ and security isnt just the fucking reason you idiot, the actual performance of apache rocks IIS , just cause you cant work out the apache config doesnt mean you have to hit on it!
cdcool1

31st Mar 03 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, gettin back to the point, stuyw u2u'd me with a site that can help. found this tutorial on it

http://www.devhood.com/tutorials/tutorial_details.aspx?tutorial_id=405

just thought i'd post this as it will be useful to anyone who wishes to have both XP and a version of linux on their computer

Dougie
Brett
Premium Member

31st Mar 03 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol.
sexual tension.
cdcool1

31st Mar 03 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers stuyw
Makarus

31st Mar 03 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Linux is better than windows in many respects i.e efficiency, reliability..........yet where it falls down is compatability.

Yes it has certain things it does better than windows but what can it realy do when there is only small amountsof software around for it.

Stick with windows, windows is fine if you know what you are doing with it. I haven't had a crash on my XP machine since I built it, over 1 year ago now, and its on pretty much 24/7.
willay
Premium Member

31st Mar 03 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you wish, faggot

cdcool i think someone said use mandrake for your first linux OS i said this in another thread, GREAT choice for starting out new on it !
bobothebear

31st Mar 03 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cdcool download a piece of software called Bootmagic off Kazaa,
I use this at work and have a System running 95,98,XP,2000 and Linux.
Works like a dream if you partition it all correctly.
Linux is a damn good OS if you know how to use it.
stuyw

31st Mar 03 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cdcool1 - no probs m8, hope u get sorted
Brett
Premium Member

31st Mar 03 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Makarus
Linux is better than windows in many respects i.e efficiency, reliability..........yet where it falls down is compatability.

Yes it has certain things it does better than windows but what can it realy do when there is only small amountsof software around for it.

Stick with windows, windows is fine if you know what you are doing with it. I haven't had a crash on my XP machine since I built it, over 1 year ago now, and its on pretty much 24/7.

another satisfied customer
cdcool1

31st Mar 03 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers all!

willay - yea, i did see it in another thread as being a good linux O/S for beginners

bobothebear - will Bootmagic work if i have XP on one HD and Linux on another HD? i know it more or less the same as having a big HD partitioned into two, but i've read that some boot progs will only work properly if both O/S are installed on the "master" hard drive in your computer

willay
Premium Member

31st Mar 03 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

actually linux has some amazing compatability at this time, normally if there is a driver for windows 9/10 there is one for linux, its the other unixes there is driver problems!

of course if your only going to do minor operations such as office,internet,gaming, stay with windows, does the job fine! (win2k rocks!)

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll