corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Arden GSi

New Poll
  <<  22    23    24    25    26    27    28  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Arden GSi
wyley

User status: Offline
13th Jun 12 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow your car look class man
If hope mine comes out of the bodyshop Lookin somewhat decent
shaunmods
Premium Member

13th Jun 12 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One thing that did cross my mind was that the rings might not have bedded in properly? I dont think semi-synthetic oils are meant to be used for running in

Or it could just be burning off the oil used when you assembled it maybe? Mine smoked a bit after I rebuild the head because I oiled the cylinders to stop them rusting while it was off.

Martin W
Organiser: South East
Premium Member

13th Jun 12 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by wyley
Wow your car look class man
If hope mine comes out of the bodyshop Lookin somewhat decent

thanks
Martin W
Premium Member

13th Jun 12 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
One thing that did cross my mind was that the rings might not have bedded in properly? I dont think semi-synthetic oils are meant to be used for running in

Or it could just be burning off the oil used when you assembled it maybe? Mine smoked a bit after I rebuild the head because I oiled the cylinders to stop them rusting while it was off.

i see what your saying but i'd driven just over 200 miles before it started smoking, if they havent bedded in properly , how has the oil got up the channels for the sparks and all over the top of the head? im praying its the gasket , im not taking it back out!

could oil travel down past the spark plug onto the piston though?
shaunmods
Premium Member

13th Jun 12 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its probably two seperate problems Martin Oil in the spark plug well sounds like a leaky rocker cover gasket as Jamie said. This wouldnt cause it to smoke though because the oil wouldnt be able to get down into the cylinders
Martin W
Premium Member

13th Jun 12 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I think its probably two seperate problems Martin Oil in the spark plug well sounds like a leaky rocker cover gasket as Jamie said. This wouldnt cause it to smoke though because the oil wouldnt be able to get down into the cylinders

thats exactly what i didnt want to hear

just gonna drive it some more with a new rocker gasket, see if it does it again or not
daine
Premium Member

14th Jun 12 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Martin, sorry to bring more bad news but first, on your silicone inlet pipe were`s the temp sensor??
Martin W
Premium Member

14th Jun 12 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daine
Hi Martin, sorry to bring more bad news but first, on your silicone inlet pipe were`s the temp sensor??

the temp sensor is on the bottom of the hose just the like the standard ones are
daine
Premium Member

14th Jun 12 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think you need to do a compression test Martin, got a feeling head gasket might have
gone again sorry mate!! but to do 180 miles and no smoke, then it starts burning
oil and smoking.
the white smoke is over fueling due to lambda reading low oxygen content, due to oil in cylinders
but it don`t look good.
Martin W
Premium Member

14th Jun 12 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Think you need to do a compression test Martin, got a feeling head gasket might have
gone again sorry mate!! but to do 180 miles and no smoke, then it starts burning
oil and smoking.
the white smoke is over fueling due to lambda reading low oxygen content, due to oil in cylinders
but it don`t look good.

The oil looks perfectly fine still the correct colour no mayo in oil etc?
Corsa_Sport21

14th Jun 12 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
but it don`t look good.

White smoke = water.
Black smoke = fuel.
Blue smoke = oil.

Just for future reference.
Martin W
Premium Member

14th Jun 12 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what I thought , Its black then blue
sam-6

16th Jun 12 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i saw this at PVS! great car, looks boss!
Martin W
Premium Member

16th Jun 12 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sam-6
i saw this at PVS! great car, looks boss!

Thanks mate
daine
Premium Member

16th Jun 12 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry Martin, I ment black smoke, it had been a long day,Cheers corsa_sport21
for correcting me
daine
Premium Member

16th Jun 12 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You done a compression test yet mate??
Martin W
Premium Member

16th Jun 12 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes all came in at around 200 psi
Martin W
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

18/6

so for the last few days ive been doing a lot of investagating and reading along with my dad to try and find the cause of the blue smoke. as you know we did a compression test, this is how the spark plugs are, all oily:

and this was the state of the compression tester!

after hours and hours of reading, i went down to see my local engine builders, Haynes engineering (we had a rolling road there recently). after chatting for a while, we got talking about how we put the piston rings in. we then realized that my honing was more round instead of chriss cross as its suppose to be:

this is mine:

and this is how its supposed to be:

as you can see from the last pic, the honing is not round like mine is. i'm hoping this is the cause of the blue smoke.

what do you think?
daine
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think its a long shot Martin, yours don`t look that bad, when you fitted the ring mate! did
you gap them first in the bores, then space the gaps around the piston?? on the compression
test did you get higher than normal readings? if so this shows its rings, the oil seals the piston
better therefore heightening the reading.
shaunmods
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just thinking out aloud here mate but I've just looked back at the photos of before and after honing it looks like you've taken quite a bit off the bores. You didnt happen to measure the ring gaps after honing did you? Possibily overbored it maybe?
Martin W
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Think its a long shot Martin, yours don`t look that bad, when you fitted the ring mate! did
you gap them first in the bores, then space the gaps around the piston?? on the compression
test did you get higher than normal readings? if so this shows its rings, the oil seals the piston
better therefore heightening the reading.

right silly question: what do you mean gap the bores then space the gaps around the piston?

it came out at around 200 psi which i did think was high yes
Martin W
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just thinking out aloud here mate but I've just looked back at the photos of before and after honing it looks like you've taken quite a bit off the bores. You didnt happen to measure the ring gaps after honing did you? Possibily overbored it maybe?

what do you mean measure the ring gaps? and i hope i haven't taken too much off or that means a new bottom end doesn't it? it ran fine for 200 miles before it smoked so i would have thought if id over-bored them it would have smoked from the beginning?
shaunmods
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 22:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deadliner
what do you mean measure the ring gaps? and i hope i haven't taken too much off or that means a new bottom end doesn't it? it ran fine for 200 miles before it smoked so i would have thought if id over-bored them it would have smoked from the beginning?

Putting a new ring into the bore and checking how big the gap is to see if its within the tolerances. Like this -

But yeah it does sound wierd how its only just started though
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely if it's overbored then new rings would wear and then cause blue smoke?

You wouldn't need a new bottom end, new oversized pistons and rings though

[Edited on 18-06-2012 by Darryl H]

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Martin W
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by deadliner

Putting a new ring into the bore and checking how big the gap is to see if its within the tolerances. Like this -

But yeah it does sound wierd how its only just started though

nope haven't done anything like that!

<<  22    23    24    25    26    27    28  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Arden GSi 24 database queries in 0.1918190 seconds