corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Vista is gay

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vista is gay
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Aug 10 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Takes over 10 minutes to copy across about 325MB of files from Vista to Ubuntu over a 10/100 ethernet link, with an average transfer speed of about 500-950k/sec.

I did the same thing yesterday but on a Windows 7 laptop over ethernet instead of the Vista PC above, took the same amount of time to copy across about 6GB, with a speed of about 9MB/sec!

[Edited on 12-08-2010 by Sam]
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andrew

12th Aug 10 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andrew likes this
Sam
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK now it has stopped with about 70MB to go FFS!

Might try that Robocopy command see if that works, shitty Vista.
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i copy anything over 100MB buy command line now, robocopy with a few switches.
Whittie

12th Aug 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've two laptops here for repair at the minute with vista, forgot how much I actually hate it!
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I normally mend laptops for students/family members of students as mates of mates etc, I normally supply them with Win7 at cost price from software4students.co.uk as I can't be FUCKED with Vista anymore.

I mean, have you seen the amount of updates that Vista does when you install a fresh copy?!?
Sam
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes I seem to remember it took a whole day to get a fresh install with SP2 up and running, downloading shit loads of updates etc.
Whittie

12th Aug 10 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pow - http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_2010_Professional_Plus-details.aspx

How does that work then, is there a genuine key supplied etc.....
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Pow - http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_2010_Professional_Plus-details.aspx

How does that work then, is there a genuine key supplied etc.....

Im sure with this the license works for students only and teachers whom the license can be put on a home computer. So if you are using it for personal use legally its not allowed.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from there FAQ

Who can buy software at Software4Students?

Primary and Secondary students: All currently registered students of primary and second level schools in the UK

University and college students: All currently registered students of universities and colleges in the UK

Parents, grandparents and guardians: If you are a parent or guardian or have a grandson or granddaughter for whom you would like to license the software, then you can purchase the software. The main requirement to purchase is that the end user licensee must be a student or be a faculty member in one of our listed educational institutions.

Teachers: Teachers employed by an accredited primary or secondary school, or a public or private university or college

I use to be able to get it working at a school, but i wasnt permitted to put it on non students/teachers computers
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should read the FAQ's Alex

Technically, it's illegal if you don't meet the FAQ's but you get a Retail CD (branded as Students only copy) and a genuine key.

I qualify for it working at a school and living in the same house as my sister who is a student.

[Edited on 12-08-2010 by pow]
Dom

12th Aug 10 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do they check to see if you're a student?
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 13:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dunno, I've always been legit...
Rob_Quads

12th Aug 10 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They don't check AFAIK. I know a few people who have got these and don't know anyone whos been checked up on. There is no way of checking up without the person being told due to data protection

Once you have a legit key MS will do sod all about it. They have some $$$ which is better than no $$$
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
They don't check AFAIK. I know a few people who have got these and don't know anyone whos been checked up on. There is no way of checking up without the person being told due to data protection

Once you have a legit key MS will do sod all about it. They have some $$$ which is better than no $$$

No they dont check if its for personal use go for it, but i wouldnt do it for a bussiness application
mwg

12th Aug 10 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyway I can buy from there when I'm not a student its miles cheaper. Vista is fucking me off

[Edited on 12-08-2010 by mwg]
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, fill your details in and purchase.
Whittie

12th Aug 10 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A3444&rt=nc&_nkw=Microsoft+Office+2010+Professional+Plus&_dmpt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1

Could make a few quid there
Dom

12th Aug 10 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame they only do Win7 Upgrades, a cheap retail copy would be useful
John

13th Aug 10 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Upgrade disc can be used for a full install iirc.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Aug 10 at 08:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Upgrade disc can be used for a full install iirc.

You dont get a key that would work though. You'd get an upgrade key and not a full key
John

13th Aug 10 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/10/23/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-the-answer.aspx

Looks like it'll work, either through a slight 'hack' or by launching the install from within windows then wiping, or even possibly just work.

[Edited on 13-08-2010 by John]
pow
Premium Member

13th Aug 10 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can use an upgrade disk for a clean install, you HAVE to put the key in during the installation though, not after.

The offical way of 'upgrading' from Xp to 7 is a clean install.

No-one tell me otherwise, I've bought W7Pro from that website and installed fresh copies on laptops with they key and CD they provide.
pow
Premium Member

13th Aug 10 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the traditional way, no hacks or anything.

If you do skip the activation prompt in OOBE then you can sysprep the system to put the key in, not ideal situation though

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll