corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » honest opinions of windows

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author honest opinions of windows
andy1868

User status: Offline
3rd Oct 07 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used vista for 10 months on my home machine and went back to xp. i've used vista at work since the start of december until present. the only way i don't get crazy errors is if i run it in the basic appearance settings, and there is therefore no point of having vista to start with IMO

both machines are above minimum standard, my work one is a 4200 X2 with 2GB RAM and my home machine is a 4200 X2 with 4Gb of RAM.

i'm not going back to it on my home machine until SP1 at the least, i'll install it on my work machine and judge from there

[Edited on 03-10-2007 by andy1868]
John

3rd Oct 07 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If vista is giving errors there is either a driver problem or the system isn't up to scratch.

My home system with a dodgy graphics card only ever falters when the graphics card plays up, and most of the time windows itself doesn't crash, the card crashes the driver and vista recovers from it, not one previous version of windows would have managed that.

As for the fancy bits, if i'm using anything but vista everything is turned off as they are a waste of time, on vista though, the fancy stuff is handled by the graphics card, which on the desktop isn't doing anything else so they are all left on.
bigD21

3rd Oct 07 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one question for anyone who can help - i installed vista ultimate to test it out and it uses ALOT of HDD space, especially for a basic format installation. The "hibernation" settings thing that automatically uses 2gb of HDD space, can that be turned off? along with anything else that eats up HDD?
N3CRO

3rd Oct 07 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XP all the way!
Cosmo

3rd Oct 07 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only go with Vista if your going to have a decent amount of RAM installed, otherwise you'll probably regret it.

I'd still personally go with XP. A lot of companies like Dell, HP, etc are offering XP installed with a voucher for a future upgrade to Vista - which IMO is the best current option to go for until most of the problems are ironed out. Especially if your not using it for anything taxing.
bubble

3rd Oct 07 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have xp on my laptop, my mum bought a toshiba laptop yesterday with vista on-it went straight back as when first turned it on it stuck on a "starting vista for the first time" page and never got any further. took it back comet-they tried tell her ring the tech support line.

needless to say she walked out with another laptop!!

which worked btw
Neo

3rd Oct 07 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Only go with Vista if your going to have a decent amount of RAM installed

Minimum 512mb
Recommended 2gb btw
Cosmo

3rd Oct 07 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Only go with Vista if your going to have a decent amount of RAM installed

Minimum 512mb
Recommended 2gb btw

ATLEAST 2GB imo.

Have tried it on a PC with less than that and also read a few horror stories on the net and isnt too impressive.
John

3rd Oct 07 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm running ultimate on 512meg just now, wouldn't recommend it as i'm only doing it till I build a new system but its running along fine tbh.
pow
Premium Member

3rd Oct 07 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turn on Netbois and away you go

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll