corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Just a few tips for buying stuff from classifieds

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just a few tips for buying stuff from classifieds
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
24th Jul 10 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah awesome selection mate, if I was earning alot of money like yourself that is what i would want in my dream garage.
adiohead

24th Jul 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
pics of Metro or STFU?!?!?!?!?!??!

BEST CAR ON CS BY FARRRRRRR

Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now you're being silly.
adiohead

24th Jul 10 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Now you're being silly.

YOU'RE a being
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still don't see why you would commute on 888s.

Your mate's tyres by his own admission had not been on a ragga, so he's paid too much money for tyres he isn't - indeed can't - make proper use of.

My comments related to price and appropriateness.

Got my Oxford English here - appropriate means suitable and proper.

Suitable - well fitted for the purpose; appropriate to the occasion - no, they're costing you too much given that you go to work to earn money and these are costing you more than they need to.

And he's losing money changing them. You Metro owners are so flash with your cash
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 14:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And re the wet weather comments, the people who sell you them say don't use them in adverse conditions. I would guess that is so you don't crash and blame them, given that they're not entirely appropriate in the wet either.

Those aren't my words.

Have a search for 'r888 wet weather' and see what the rest of the internet is saying.

There's one guy on PH sticking up for them for wet track use, and I do agree with his points - they're certainly preferable to budget tyres in wet weather - and I think this is where we may be at cross-purposes. He is talking about a track, in which you would be driving at full concentration in order to obtain a good lap time. Or at least drive fast for the purposes of enjoyment. Therefore you would be very much aware of the limited range of conditions, would generally have some prior knowledge of conditions on that bit of track before you drove on it and crucially, if you crash, it's par for the course of tracking a car.

I'm not talking about this - I'm talking about a road car in which you could be driving 100 miles down the motorway, know nothing about the road surface of standing water conditions, be sharing the road with other people who also only just want to get somewhere.

Crashing here because you wanted to pose on track tyres wouldn't be clever.

I actually didn't bring up the wet weather issue but I'm happy to discuss it. Again, and in support of the fact they cost too much, they're not appropriate.
Steve
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats wrong with pumas
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 14:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not as good as Metros.
Hammer

24th Jul 10 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Wait.

He drives a fucking Metro???

Blimey, this one's sharp...

Keep up Hammer.

Sharp, blunt, whatever. I don't copy and paste jokes off the internet and generally act like a complete pretentious wanker whilst driving a Metro.

I win.
Adam_B

24th Jul 10 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found 888s loads better than road tyres in all conditions other than proper heavy rain and on snow.
Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I still don't see why you would commute on 888s.

Your mate's tyres by his own admission had not been on a ragga, so he's paid too much money for tyres he isn't - indeed can't - make proper use of.

My comments related to price and appropriateness.

Got my Oxford English here - appropriate means suitable and proper.

Suitable - well fitted for the purpose; appropriate to the occasion - no, they're costing you too much given that you go to work to earn money and these are costing you more than they need to.

And he's losing money changing them. You Metro owners are so flash with your cash

They are better than any other tyre I have ever used, that's why.

Yes Ian and inappropriate means unsuitable. You said they were unsuitable for road use, that isn't true. They are road legal so are pefectly suitable for road use, just as a Pirelli, Nankang or Wanli tyre is as long as its got legal tread obviously.

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
And re the wet weather comments, the people who sell you them say don't use them in adverse conditions. I would guess that is so you don't crash and blame them, given that they're not entirely appropriate in the wet either.

Those aren't my words.

Have a search for 'r888 wet weather' and see what the rest of the internet is saying.

There's one guy on PH sticking up for them for wet track use, and I do agree with his points - they're certainly preferable to budget tyres in wet weather - and I think this is where we may be at cross-purposes. He is talking about a track, in which you would be driving at full concentration in order to obtain a good lap time. Or at least drive fast for the purposes of enjoyment. Therefore you would be very much aware of the limited range of conditions, would generally have some prior knowledge of conditions on that bit of track before you drove on it and crucially, if you crash, it's par for the course of tracking a car.

I'm not talking about this - I'm talking about a road car in which you could be driving 100 miles down the motorway, know nothing about the road surface of standing water conditions, be sharing the road with other people who also only just want to get somewhere.

Crashing here because you wanted to pose on track tyres wouldn't be clever.

I actually didn't bring up the wet weather issue but I'm happy to discuss it. Again, and in support of the fact they cost too much, they're not appropriate.

Even Toyo who sell, design and produce the tyres don't say not to use them in adverse conditions. They advise caution but that goes without saying. No-one I have ever purchased them from has said anything about not using them in the wet etc. http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?identity=products&product_id=18

A few pages ago you may recall quoting about 70 MPH in medium rain? Now, maybe it is just me but 70MPH is the speed LIMIT, so in rain I think common sense should tell people that the conditions are not so good so they would not travel at the limit? Especially on a motorway with all the spray and reduced visability.

Furthermore, that link about tramlining also has the guy admitting his bushes were knackered and they were on a far larger size wheel and tyre width than standard so all this rotating mass and unsprung malarky comes into play. Initially I started off on 185/60/13's on the front and I admitted a few pages back that it tramlined to fuck. However, since fitting a 175/60/13 that has been completely eradicated.

Ok Ian, I think I get you believe they are too expensive, I however don't. That's subjective and I think we can agree to disagree on that one?

I have driven on cut slicks for about 2 years now in all conditions and I can honestly say I have never felt unsfae, twitchy bum or avything like that, infact I have never even had the car aquaplaning and if I did the likelihood is that it would be due to misinterpreting the conditions or going too fast, both of which you can do and aquaplane on a normal road tyre.
Nath

24th Jul 10 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a fucking thread!!!
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 15:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cost isn't subjective - they cost more.

And you're not using that additional cost, they're not driven any harder than you can drive a normal tyre but you're spending more money.
Eck
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 15:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I quite like Metro GTi/GTA's and Turbo's
Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Cost isn't subjective - they cost more.

And you're not using that additional cost, they're not driven any harder than you can drive a normal tyre but you're spending more money.

Ian, you are misinterpreting my posts.

Something being 'expensive' is subjective. To me they are good value. To a tramp on a park bench with a dog on a string a cup of tea is expensive.

Ian, you asked for me to not make assumptions a few pages back, how about showing that same grace eh? Do you think I have acquired all the parts mentioned beforehand simply for the hell of it?
craig_s

24th Jul 10 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Partyvan
quote:
Originally posted by craig_s
hang on wasnt it you that was pming me about my car when it was up for sale?then after chatting about it for a while you didnt write back.

Yep because I spent 3 grand on another LET Corsa project shortly after because you didn't have a f*cking clue

you spent 3k on a corsa let project fucking retard.more like your full of shit and didnt have the cash!

dont moan about time waisters when your one yourself.
Mark B

24th Jul 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
I quite like Metro GTi/GTA's and Turbo's
Tommy L

24th Jul 10 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutely epic thread. I really can't believe what I've read this afternoon.
Twitch

24th Jul 10 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would you spend 3k on a project when you can build a full engine and finish the project for 3k :S
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
To me they are good value.
But you're not using them as they are intended! You would get the same levels of performance from a cheaper tyre! That for me isn't value.
Eck
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could do it for £3k, but it won't be to a high standard unless you're a good mechanic!
Partyvan
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair Wayne's Metro is worth more than about half the Corsas on here (all non XE/LET Corsa B's basically), and cleaner than 99% of them too I'd imagine. It is a stunning example of a poor car but it's not like thats all he's got... Up until recently a Corsa with brakes bigger than most people's wheels, a cage, ph2 LET etc... hardly a bad spec.

I don't care about the argument for tyres, so what if he used R888's on the road. Do you think a Metro will go fast enough to aquaplane? No it fucking won't, that's like trying to get round Hammer's ego on a space hopper.

Also lol@ all the keyboard warriors coming out and giving it large. I moaned about timewasters - something we can all appreciate I'm sure. I can see a few genuine folk on here agreeing with me - the rest must either be said timewasters or just internet warlords looking for an e-fight.

Perhaps everyone should just take a chill and maybe AGREE that yes the majority of Corsasport users are timewasting, penny-pinching, text-typing illiterate chavs!

No offence to the rest of you, I know there are plenty of people who aren't any of the above.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't agree that they're in the majority.
Partyvan
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I don't agree that they're in the majority.

Well put it this way - my chrome bonnet stay thread for example... out of the 11 people that said they will definitely have one, 3 have paid I haven't forced them on anyone, these are strangers who have come forward, approached me and said they want to buy one.

That is shocking.

So yes, I'd say 8 out of 11 is a "majority"
Hammer

24th Jul 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Partyvan
To be fair Wayne's Metro is worth more than about half the Corsas on here (all non XE/LET Corsa B's basically), and cleaner than 99% of them too I'd imagine. It is a stunning example of a poor car but it's not like thats all he's got... Up until recently a Corsa with brakes bigger than most people's wheels, a cage, ph2 LET etc... hardly a bad spec.

I don't care about the argument for tyres, so what if he used R888's on the road. Do you think a Metro will go fast enough to aquaplane? No it fucking won't, that's like trying to get round Hammer's ego on a space hopper.

Also lol@ all the keyboard warriors coming out and giving it large. I moaned about timewasters - something we can all appreciate I'm sure. I can see a few genuine folk on here agreeing with me - the rest must either be said timewasters or just internet warlords looking for an e-fight.

Perhaps everyone should just take a chill and maybe AGREE that yes the majority of Corsasport users are timewasting, penny-pinching, text-typing illiterate chavs!

No offence to the rest of you, I know there are plenty of people who aren't any of the above.

Another verbose reply from another jumped up prick with another bloated sense of his own self-importance.

If your that much of a high flyer bore off with your other high flying pals and leave the proletariat to talk to each other in text speak.

That way no one can rip you off Del Boy.

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Just a few tips for buying stuff from classifieds 22 database queries in 0.1082001 seconds