corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Just a few tips for buying stuff from classifieds

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just a few tips for buying stuff from classifieds
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
24th Jul 10 at 03:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not just any Metro, a mint Metro. Nice. I just wondered why you would do that, given that they're not really appropriate for road use.

And when I'm a pompous twat, you can tell me my Puma is shit. Until then I don't see that it's relevant.

You drive a fucking Metro. Come on.
Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 03:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's not suitable for road use? I hope you mean the Metro off the NCAP rating?

Please don't tell me you mean the tyres? Not another simpleton that believes all the 'bad in the wet crap'?
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 03:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry, I forgot you were cleverer, hence the A Levels. My mistake.

you drive a Metro lolz
Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 03:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you aren't prepared to answer the question?

EDIT: Go on Ian, you may like the response.

P.S. You forgot my HND TBH.

[Edited on 24-07-2010 by LETGSI16V]
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 03:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant the tyres, I personally wouldn't buy track tyres and commute in them, it's a waste of money. Wet weather performance I can't comment on as I've not had the pleasure. But I would imagine they're less than ideal.

It was mainly the financial aspects but you Metro drivers are all rich enough to do it by the looks of things. Wish I was you tbh. Driving my track-slick Metro wherever it takes me the office and back baby, cruisin
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 03:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
EDIT: Go on Ian, you may like the responce.

P.S. You forgot my HND TBH.
Not in English I assume.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 03:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS you don't need to answer, I know you're rich enough. And cleverer. I'm clear.
Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 03:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I meant the tyres, I personally wouldn't buy track tyres and commute in them, it's a waste of money. Wet weather performance I can't comment on as I've not had the pleasure. But I would imagine they're less than ideal.

It was mainly the financial aspects but you Metro drivers are all rich enough to do it by the looks of things. Wish I was you tbh. Driving my track-slick Metro wherever it takes me the office and back baby, cruisin

Look attbe logs, it was editted before you posted. Still, not bad for 16 Stellas IMO.

Ian, I am happy to take you out in it in the rain on whatever compound cut slick you would like, I will then take you out on a normal road tyre, you change them in the rain and I will check you have done them up correctly.

I will even let you have a drive if you wish?

That's a genuine offer by the way as it's vital that someone running a 'weekend racer' type site is able to correct bullshit information about one of the most fundamental things for a track orientated car IMO.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 03:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its vital that you understand why I don't think commuting on 888s is a good idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
it's a waste of money
Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 04:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You seem to be altering your stance a lot Ian.

Tyres are what keep you in contact with the road, good grip is an investment. No point in driving on ditch finders to save a few quid but let me guess 'cut slicks only last two thousand miles' or whatever crap you have read? Much like the wet performance thing you second-guessed at with no knowledge.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 04:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quote my altering stance.
Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 04:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You said they 'aren't appropriate' for road use, then back tracked and started second guessing at their wet weather capabilities and then started on about costs.

As stated, for the interests of factual information I am happy to show you the difference first hand, then you don't have to second guess these things? You can't get fairer than that?

Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 04:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quote me back tracking.

And remind me who mentioned wet weather performance first.
Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 04:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you said they aren't appropriate for road use, so let's turn that around eh?

Cost doesn't make something inappropriate for road use so what does Ian?

You talk some waffle.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 04:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me, but by inappropriate, I mean not appropriate. To be clear, commuting means driving to work and roads are where you do this.

Commuting to work is a cost which you incur when you go to work. You go to work to earn money. It is preferably to earn more rather than less. Expressed another way (the A Level Maths will come in to its own here ), minimising the costs which you incur when you go to work will mean that you earn more - wowzers.

Track tyres are expensive. Expensive tyres are bad, boo

Using track tyres to commute is expensive. Particularly as when you do it on a road, like the road between your house and your place of work, normally a public road, which is subject to laws of the road, you can't drive like you're on a track. So you can't enjoy your expensive track tyres, because you're on a road. Going to work.

You might even argue that track tyres are inappropriate for road use.

Again, remind me who mentioned wet weather first? Would that be you? Would that be based on assumption?

Would that, when clarified for you, still mention price first and weather secondly? Would that include reference to my personal feelings about them, given that I have owned soft compound tyres in the past and used them on a road car, and decided against doing so because they were actually shit? Would that include me using the word 'imagine' because I'm neither in a position to comment about 888s or interested in finding out, especially behind the wheel of a fucking Metro?

If you don't understand the posts then I'll happily help you out. But please don't assume things about my posts that you can't fathom out for yourself. And while you're there, look up the the word inappropriate.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 04:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS you lose because you went to bed.

PPS I take it all back, they're perfect for commuting which is why your mate is selling them

PPPS As they won't sell on here I've deleted the thread for you. That should cut down somewhat on the amount of correspondence you receive.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 04:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better email Tweeks, tell them to sort their web page out.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Wheels_&_Tyres/Competition_Tyres/Toyo_R888_Tyre/1790/5077

quote:
The Proxes R888 is a sophisticated track day tyre, but is also fully road legal - making it suitable for high performance road driving, driving back home after a trackday or commuting in a Metro.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 04:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell them to remove this erroneous piece of information straight away
quote:
Note: Caution is required in extreme wet conditions due to limited anti-aquaplaning capabilities. These tyres are not intended to be used as regular road driving tyres, and should not be used in any sort of cold/winter conditions.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 04:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No warranty on something that I'm going to use for going to work - just what I need

quote:
As this tyre is designed and produced with competition compounds, no warranty is implied or given.
Thank you so much for educating me in matters which I was obviously simply completely ignorant of. I'm going to put 888s on all my cars now, should only cost about a grand, they'll wear down somewhat quicker than the current tyres, I've been advised against using them in any sort of cold/winter conditions and they don't have a warranty but hey, fuck all that, some guy on the internet who drives a Metro was RIGHT.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 04:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imagine my surprise.
quote:
the rigid sidewalls (which hardly deflate even when the tyre has a puncture!) mean that the wheels do tramline badly compared to road tyres, following every groove, ripple and white line marking on the road surface. This effect is even more pronounced in the wet.

quote:
the R888 is a tyre you have to treat with great respect when standing water abounds. Indeed even maintaining a steady motorway 70mph in "medium" rain is a matter of bravery, and so 60mph becomes more the norm in those conditions. Aquaplaning is an almost common occurance - you only need to hit a puddle at 60mph and you're there.

quote:
the costs of running them are obviously significantly higher as they wear so much more quickly.

quote:
there are sacrifices to be made; the noise, the wear rate, the tramlining, the increased chances of punctures, the poor wet weather performance.

http://the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52581
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 04:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10 minutes on this thread, this reply had better be worth the wait.
Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 04:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I said Ian, you talk some waffle. Off your logic of Maths no-one would drive to work, they would all walk? or drive mopeds?

I suppose the fact the the R888 is a fully road legal tyre has escaped your simple mind?

Nevermind eh?

I will be sure to write to the health and safety executive or whoever the hell is responsible for tyre safety standards first thing in the morning.

'Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my disgust at you passing a tyre as being fully road legal as I recently read on the Internet that they are unsuitable for road use as everyone uses the cheapest tyres available to commute to work, as 'that's what work is'?

The fact this person has never used these tyres is neither here nor there, he owns a website and is a teacher. He has fucked more kids than cot death. (Joke before you get all pissy knickered!).

I demand you remove these tyres from sale immediately, by order of Ian on Corsasport.

Listen to yourself?
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 04:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quote me suggesting that you should use only the cheapest?
Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 04:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
10 minutes on this thread, this reply had better be worth the wait.

iPhone Ian, not a PC. Have you tried looking at one at almost 6am after 16 beers? It ain't easy.

I am off to bed now, I'm normally up at 7am so I will have to continue tomorrow after my swim.

xxx MWAH.

P.S. Removal of for sale thread which I noticed a few hours ago makes you look very childish but we both agree it wouldn't sell to the 10p gangsters on here.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 10 at 04:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I removed the thread for your benefit. If they won't sell, as you correctly pointed out, all the thread is doing is attracting vexatious u2us.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Just a few tips for buying stuff from classifieds 22 database queries in 0.1038139 seconds