corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Stuck lifter

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Stuck lifter
jibjob

User status: Offline
21st Jul 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just finished rebuilding my engine and it starts and runs fine but it sounds like one of the lifters is either stuck or not moving freely. When i put it all together they all moved fine so i assume ive knocked when we ive put it all back together into one piece. I didnt force any of them in before someone says ive hammered it in The only thing i can think of is that ive caught the head when i was removing the valves and collects and its caused a little lip and is now causing the lifter to stick. What can i do about it? Leave it and hope it sorts itself or will i have to strip it down and redo it all again? Ive been told to use Forte oil flush and see if it helps but i dont know whether its going to be a waste of money or actually help.

Limecat
Banned

21st Jul 10 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How long has it run for, my lifters were rattling like a skeleton having a wank in a biscuit tin until I had driven it about 30 mins so they could pump up.
jibjob

21st Jul 10 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it was run the other day for about 5mins then i took it for a short drive today for 10mins so i supose it could be that. It sounds like its only one though as the sounds coming from a specific spot.
Limecat
Banned

21st Jul 10 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a matter of interest, you mention a rebuild? Do you know what it was like beforehand? Did you dismantle and clean the lifters?
jibjob

21st Jul 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was perfect before i took it apart so it must have been something i did putting it back together. I gave them a wipe down but thats about it. They all moved freely before as i turned the head upside down and they all fell out! Thats why i think i must have caught the side and created a lip so the lifters got stuck.
jibjob

21st Jul 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im taking it for a long drive on Friday but ive got to keep it low revs but i might just blip it up to 3.5k to see if it clears but hopefully running it for a while at average revs should clear it. Im just trying to run it in properly Ive got such an urge just to plant my foot

[Edited on 21-07-2010 by jibjob]
shaunmods
Premium Member

21st Jul 10 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
Im taking it for a long drive on Friday but ive got to keep it low revs but i might just blip it up to 3.5k to see if it clears but hopefully running it for a while at average revs should clear it. Im just trying to run it in properly Ive got such an urge just to plant my foot

Sorry mate just deleted my reply as I wasnt sure if it was the best advice on a freshly rebuild engine But like I said it sorted mine out when mine first did it. Just don't go too mad lol
jibjob

21st Jul 10 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well im hoping to have a couple of hundred miles on it on Friday in fact i might be able to get the full 500 done on friday Tempted to go down to the south coast for the day
Limecat
Banned

21st Jul 10 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It was perfect before i took it apart so it must have been something i did putting it back together. I gave them a wipe down but thats about it. They all moved freely before as i turned the head upside down and they all fell out! Thats why i think i must have caught the side and created a lip so the lifters got stuck.

So you didn't split the lifters?

Give them chance with fresh oil and o from there. Keep it sensible though.

quote:

[Edited on 21-07-2010 by jibjob]

Don't be afraid to boot it, full gas but half revs.
jibjob

22nd Jul 10 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found out its not the lifters. Theres the blockage somewhere in the oil galleries on the inlet came side. The oil squirter on the exhaust side fires oil about 2 feet high but the squirter on the inlet just seaps (sp) out. Just stuck on what to do next Im going to swap the squirters round to see if its the actual squirter and then if its not that im either going to flush the whole system with a proper flush or im going to blow back down the blocked hole with an air line and see if it works. Any more suggestions?
dean101287

22nd Jul 10 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How did you test the squirters? Mine is tapping and I dont want to buy new lifters if its not the problem.
jibjob

22nd Jul 10 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did it the messy way Take off the rocker cover, put a sheet over the engine, wings, bumper and winscreen and just turn the engine on. If it works right it should fire a jet of oil straight up into the bonnet. Its a messy way but easy.

New Poll