corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Fitted powerbox and car wants to stall?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fitted powerbox and car wants to stall?
X16XE.Adam

User status: Offline
13th Jun 10 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all, i've just fitted a powerbox to my X16XE, let the engine do its thing for a few minutes. It then started kangarooing between 500-900rpm. I would then rev the engine to a steady 1500rpm, engine sounded fine. Once i let off the throttle the engine would stall.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks Adam

[Edited on 13-06-2010 by X16XE.Adam]
Eddx14xe

13th Jun 10 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be a air leak?
Eddx14xe

13th Jun 10 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you use a smaller bolt for the alternator?
X16XE.Adam

13th Jun 10 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No didnt use a smaller bolt for the earth on the alternator as there was plenty of clearence, didnt think this could cause it to kangaroo whilst idling?

I was thinking an air leak, but cant hear nothing around the fpr and tank vent switch area.

Thanks Adam
Eddx14xe

13th Jun 10 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When my egr valve got stuck open and was letting air in, similar to a air leak, it would kangaroo when i slowed down, then after a bit it just all cut out and would only start if i was reving it as soon as the revs dropped it would stall again.

Sounds like the same kind of thing.

Spray something on the bits you took off around the gaskets and stuff, see if any of it bubbles
X16XE.Adam

13th Jun 10 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried spraying stuff around the things i had touched, but there was no air leaks. I found the earth that is in the map sensor loom which i forgot to put back on, so i put that on one of the powerbox bolts.
The engine still don't want to idle, it stays at around 500-600rpm, but just about keeps itself from stalling. And also when i put my foot flat on the accelerator, there is nothing, no response what so ever, the engine does not rev at all, then once i let off, the engine just wants to cut out and stall.

Thanks Adam
X16XE.Adam

14th Jun 10 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I been out to check over the car again, I found a vacuum pipe which is dangling...

I think it went on the original upper manifold, iirc there was one pipe for the fpr and another for the tank vent switch, then there was a vacuum pipe at the back, which is this one. Anyone have idea's where it should go?

I've also got 2 breathers, one at the top of the rocker cover which is venting to atmosphere...

And the other is the one on the right hand side of the rocker cover, the one next to the water pipe which is also venting to atmosphere...

Thanks Adam

[Edited on 14-06-2010 by X16XE.Adam]
Crana

14th Jun 10 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like the MAP sensor? make sure it goes straight to the inlet
X16XE.Adam

14th Jun 10 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The map sensor plug was a bit tight to get in, but it is connected fine.
The vacuum pipe itself is connected to the second hole down on the powerbox (VX performance powerbox), there was a slight hissing noise coming from around the fpr, but couldn't quite locate it. I will check the map sensor hose onto the powerbox when i get home, and make sure it has a tight jubilee clip on it.

I was thinking it could be the idle control valve, as whilst i was there i decided to clean it with some WD40. Gave it a clean over, then went to press it down and it was solid, i was told that it should be able to be compressed although with a little resistance, however mine is solid.

Thanks Adam
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

14th Jun 10 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you made up some new vac pipes

needs to go from the power box to fpr, rocker cover, map sensor and some other thing i cant remember the name of

[Edited on 14-06-2010 by IvIarkgraham]
X16XE.Adam

14th Jun 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the moment I have a t-piece in the bottom hole of the powerbox, one end goes to the fpr, and the other end goes to the tank vent switch. I havn't used new vac pipes, I have just made do with the standard vac hoses for now.
In the top hole of the powerbox is the brake servo pipe, the second hole is the map sensor and the third hole is t-pieced to the fpr and tank vent switch.
Thats the setup I have at the moment?

Thanks Adam
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

14th Jun 10 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need one that goes to the rocker too

in my mantzel i have brake servo
then i have another take off pipe that goes to
rocker cover
map sensor
fpr
tank vent
X16XE.Adam

14th Jun 10 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So should I t-piece the map sensor and send that to the rocker cover? As the fpr and tank vent switch are already t-pieced as one?

Thanks Adam
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

14th Jun 10 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah give it a go
X16XE.Adam

14th Jun 10 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok thanks, will find a t-piece when I get home.
Wasn't sure the if map sensor needs its own single vacuum hose. Might t-piece it from the one way valve that is for the brake servo.

Thanks Adam
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

14th Jun 10 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got all my things t pieced from one outlet
X16XE.Adam

14th Jun 10 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a t-piece screwed into the powerbox so i only have 2 outlets, which go to the fpr and tank vent switch. So i'll have to take a t-piece from somewhere else.

Thanks Adam
jeyson osti

14th Jun 10 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can be poor air-gas misture. Hold the tbi closed with your hand just for a few seconds, till it establize the rpm. The injection will correct the new parameter.
X16XE.Adam

14th Jun 10 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok i've just been out to have a look, i found that the map sensor vac hose had ripped, so i replaced that, tried it and it started fine, but revs shot upto about 1500rpm. I then t-pieced the map sensor vac hose with the vac hose on the top of the rocker cover and the car would not start at all.
I found that there was a hissing noise coming from over by the fpr, I found that the tank vent switch had one vac connector with no hose on it, i put my finger over it and could feel it had a vacuum, and the hissing stopped.

Thanks Adam
X16XE.Adam

15th Jun 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just like to add, i got it all working in the end, I had missed a vacuum hose off the tank vent switch. Engine was running nicely, then went for a little spin and after i let off at full throttle, the engine stalled. Took about 5 mins to figure out what it was... the idle control valve plug wasn't making good contact with the connectors, due to the wires being really tight and very little slack causing it not to idle properly. So had a fiddle with the main plug for the engine loom which the idle control valve plug comes from, put it in position, and secured it and its been sound ever since. Managed to go out last night and it didn't once miss a beat !

Thanks to all those that helped !

Adam

New Poll