corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » is a after market exhaust manifold worth it?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author is a after market exhaust manifold worth it?
Richardhhha

User status: Offline
31st Jan 10 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hay all, basialy the misses wants to get me a late christmas presy and i thought about getting a janspeed 4-2-1 manifold but im wondering weter its worth it as i need more low to mid range omph and i cant afford another car with a bigger engine as insurance companys are raping me atm.

Cars a x14xe with flame powerbox, de restricted air box with pipercross panel filter and standard exhaust,

Im not going to be sticking a after market back box on it or removing the cat as i've been there before and i dont have the funds to do it again really.

So what sort of gains will i be getting if i got the manifold? Is it a lot better than the standard manifold?

Rich

[Edited on 31-01-2010 by Richardhhha]
philip2

1st Feb 10 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fitted a group n system and omp/ashley 4-2-1 mani on my gsi, and that had inlet, headwork, pistons, etc etc and compared to stock on 2 certain bits of road from work id lost 10mph over stock BUT on the new mani the lambda was on number 3 cyl, instead of collector, but i wasnt impresd, but i never moved lambda so dont know 100% if it was just that
belton

1st Feb 10 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think manifolds do a hell of alot of difference mate again its something that can be derestricted, so why not! probably worth getting a straight through pipe aswell if you really want to feel it,
i know this is a bad example but my mate has a 1.5 civic, the difference he got with a manifold was being able to do 90 in 3rd gear to doing 100, amazing power gain
AlexW

1st Feb 10 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally i wouldn't get a exhaust, the standard design isnt that bad!

If your set on one then go for a 4-2-1, A 4-1 will put more power top end, and the power on these engines are alright up high, even worse with the powerboxes.
stingray1987

1st Feb 10 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont do it dude. have you looked at your standard exhuast manifold???? if you look at it the top half is 4-2 then the downpipe is 2-1 so basicly the standar manifold is a 4-2-1. the only benifit an aftermarket one will have is there is no join/gasket in the middle of the manifold and downpipe. it will be wasted money mate.

get ur missus buy some sexy undies it will make more difference to you car than an exhuast manifold lol
stingray1987

1st Feb 10 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o and an aftermarket backbox makes noise not bhp. unless the exhuast is a group N then there is no point. take it up powerflow and get the centre silencer removed for £20 and thats just as good as a straight through system.

done get draged in by all the bulshit that these compaines say you will get from their products.
Richardhhha

1st Feb 10 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so what can i do to give it a bit more omph because im bored shitles with how gutless the car is.

There isn't any point removing the center box as it is a straight threw exhaust anyway, and its got just the right exhaust note atm, just wish i could get it to burble and pop like my old xe..

The 14xe manifold is a 4-2-1 your right there but is it restrictive?

I cant afford to do any head work otherwise phil would have the head by now, so what can i do?

[Edited on 01-02-2010 by Richardhhha]
scottc1088

1st Feb 10 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a manifold would make a difference but theres no point if youre keeping the rest of the system standard
stingray1987

1st Feb 10 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well an aftermarket manifold will be almost identical to the standard one except no air pump and no join in the middle so you would add more by taking out the spare wheel than you would by having one of them.

you say you have a flame powerbox on it. have you had the car remaped and the limiter raised?ive been told you need arp bolts if you want to do this but not 100% on this as i havent done it.

i would recomend a good serivce tho. you would be suprised how much of a difference it makes.

clean out throttlebody (probs already done if u have a powerbox)
change oil and filter
change fuel filter
change or clean air filter
change spark plugs
change ht leads
run a few tanks of bp ultimate with tad of injector cleaner in.
and take it for a nice long run on the motorway flush everything out.

you say you carnt afford insurance so i take it you havent told them about the powerbox. if not then you might aswell mod the shit out of it as ur not insuraed anyway.
barneykarl

1st Feb 10 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fitted one to my x16xe after my powerbox and found the car pulled better and revved better than without one fitted ,but I have a good exhaust system and it was only a small gain but every little helps, anyway I was happy with the result.
belton

1st Feb 10 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

honestly mate, a straight through system will do you car good, and make it more powerful, dont expect some massive results but it will be noticable, also try drilling ure airbox and putting a panel filter in, i am not the only oe on here who has said u get a remarkable difference x16xe's so should be the same on yours
stingray1987

1st Feb 10 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sorry but i crnt see how it can make a noticeable difference when the manifold is the same diameter as the standard one. both are a 4-2-1 but the standard one has a heat sheild so if anything the standard one is better.

so to get an aftermarket one as good as a standard one you need to heat wrap it aswell so if you ask me the only benifit is not having a split inbetween the manifold and downpipe. there is a bloke on corsasport in the projects setcion that has jenvy throttlebodies and he decided to keep the standard exhaust manifold.
why would he spend all that money on throttlebodies if he was loosing power through the exhaust manifold???
Richardhhha

1st Feb 10 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not expecting crazy power, i just need more omph in the low o medium rev range, and the car s insured with the powerbox, just insurance's want silly money atm for say a 1.6 sport they want 800+ for one and thats just stupid tbh thats what i ment by insurance companys rapeing me atm.

I used to have a drilled air box but the car pulls better with just the restrictors taken out of the air box.

I used to have a straight through exhaust but it just didnt do anything apart from making a lot of noise and slowing the car down.

Think i'll just leave it tbh, as its going to cost more than the cars worth to make it a little better to drive.

Oh and it gets a full service every 9k and mini services every 3k had one a few months ago.
stingray1987

1st Feb 10 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well only thing i could sugest is to uprate the brakes and suspension then.
yeah its not worth modding any car to be hounest. if i counted up all the money ive spent on mods i could afford a car that was fast and handled well as standard. but owell ill never learn lol.
Sean-B

2nd Feb 10 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my opinion the JS 4-2-1 complements the flame plenum perfectly. It helps to pull the powerband back down into a much more usuable area.

I certainly noticed the elimination of a major flat area between 2500rpm and 4000rpm.

Also the powerbox kicks in on a mates car at jus under 5000rpm. Mines pulling hard by 4200rpm.

In my opinion it's £130 very well spent.

New Poll