corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Not declaring mods/engine conversions...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not declaring mods/engine conversions...
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
30th May 10 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never really been in this position myself, I didn't bother saying my car had little mods like lowering springs or a back box, but I've seen a lot of people not mentioning a full engine conversion. To be honest, when I wanted an XE at 18 I was really tempted, and being really honest, I think I'd actually do it now.

I know a lot of you will jump on people who admit shit like that (which just happened in this thread) but how many of you know someone who hasn't declared a engine conversion and got away with it completely, and how many of you know someone who hasn't declared a engine conversion and either crashed or got caught (or both) -- what happened in their specific case?

I'm generally pretty curious, I doubt I'll ever have a car with a undeclared engine transplant but trying to picture myself in that situation, really wanting more power than a 1.2-1.4 or whatever but not having the cash to stump up £3k insurance (which I was quoted when I was 18), I really think I'd be tempted.

So, what have you seen, done or heard from your friend who knows a guy down the pub?
DannyB
Premium Member

31st May 10 at 00:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know anyone who hasn't declared major engine mods, it just wouldn't be worth it for those involved. The guys I hang around with have spent thousands on engine builds, why would they risk it for that alone nevermind the hassle of voiding your insurance should you happen to crash. It should be done. If you can't afford to run it/maintain it/declair it then you shouldn't be driving it. In my opinion anyway.
xa0s
Banned

31st May 10 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
I don't know anyone who hasn't declared major engine mods, it just wouldn't be worth it for those involved. The guys I hang around with have spent thousands on engine builds, why would they risk it for that alone nevermind the hassle of voiding your insurance should you happen to crash. It should be done. If you can't afford to run it/maintain it/declair it then you shouldn't be driving it. In my opinion anyway.

Understandable if they have the money and it's just them being reluctant to part with it, but what if you're 18 and already paying near a grand to insure a 1.2 and absolutely hate driving it? I insured a 165mph bike at 17 for £700 but I was limited to a 85mph (down hill) 1.2 Corsa paying over a grand.

I'm not trying to justify it, as I do think it's wrong, BUT I can see why it's really tempting and a lot do it.
DannyB
Premium Member

31st May 10 at 00:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I can see why people do it but I wouldn't do it or don't condone it, it's stupid in every way possible.
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

31st May 10 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an XE corsa for 6 weeks, was registered as a 1.6 sport and also insured as, i lost my job 4 days after buying it so it was only really insured to sit at my door until i sold it.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

31st May 10 at 00:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree with danny
Sean8v

31st May 10 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest i am 20 and was payin 1200 for mines registered as a 1.6 sport for a month and when my renewal was due it was 985 . I got on the phone to adrian flux and managed to get it insured as a 2litre for 785
big eck

31st May 10 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll admit my old XE GSI was insured as a 1.6 and when I was stopped with the traffic cops because of my number plates they done a full check on the car. He asked me to open the bonnet which I did, he leant on the engine had a good look about then closed the bonnet and commented on how clean it was. I was then sent on my way with a stern talking to about my illegal font plates.

Probably not the best thing to do but I took a chance and got away with it.

IMO its no worse than someone taking a chance speeding down a twisty bit of road and loosing control of there car smashing head on into another car or seriously hurting a passenger in yours.

What i'm getting at is everyone does something illegal its just that all the so called saints on here dont have the balls to admit it.

[Edited on 31-05-2010 by big eck]
xa0s
Banned

31st May 10 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What i'm getting at is everyone does something illegal its just that all the so called saints on here dont have the balls to admit it.

~willow~

31st May 10 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

belive it or not, its only 60quid more to decalre my let engine in my gsi!! you cant get away with any conversion cars around here, we have a c*nt of a copper round here that knows his stuff and is busting everyone!
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

31st May 10 at 07:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone I know personally that's done a conversion has always declared it, or has said that.

The one horror story that always sticks with me is Monster's, his insurance paid out for the third party and then sent Monster the bill, that was either 7k or 11k can't remember now.

That wasn't converted either just an x16 with some work done

[Edited on 31-05-2010 by Mike B]
Doug

31st May 10 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no point even having insurance otherwise. Why even bother paying your premium as it will be void anyway!

In this compensation culture I would hate to be uninsured!
xa0s
Banned

31st May 10 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
There is no point even having insurance otherwise. Why even bother paying your premium as it will be void anyway!

In this compensation culture I would hate to be uninsured!

Because if you're insured it comes up fine on Police checks so you don't get pulled (or you don't get pulled nearly as much as you would with no insurance). If you don't crash, or get caught, you save an absolute killing and get a years TCP.
LeeM

31st May 10 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont understand why it annoys people, as it doesnt affect you in the slightest, nor does it "put everyone elses premiums up"
RCoughtrie

31st May 10 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If you can't afford to run it/maintain it/declair it then you shouldn't be driving it.

amen
daymoon
Premium Member

31st May 10 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didnt declare any mods on my first car ( air filter, exhaust, wheels and steering wheel), but do so now on all my cars...

better be safe than sorry especially as i dont get charged extra for most of the mods anyway.
Chris x

31st May 10 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee_wee
i dont understand why it annoys people, as it doesnt affect you in the slightest, nor does it "put everyone elses premiums up"
If they crash into me, Im fucked.

[Edited on 31-05-2010 by Chris x]
LeeM

31st May 10 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris x
quote:
Originally posted by lee_wee
If they crash into me, Im fucked.

[Edited on 31-05-2010 by Chris x]

no your not, theyre insured and their insurer is legally obliged under the rta to pay for your damages whether they void the policy from inception or accident date
theyre the one thats fucked as if their insuance do void the policy, they may well find a nice bill through the letter box
Limecat
Banned

31st May 10 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love the way muppets try to justify not declaring it as it saves them money!?!

Guess what? Insurers work on risk, the bigger the riskthe larger the premium. Can't afford the premium? Guess what sort of risk you are?

I had an accident in my old XE Nova, not even a big one and the guy still managed to rinse about £100k from my insurers. Everything on that was declared, even down to the shaved locks. All you need is one incident like that and rest of your life is fucked.
deano87

31st May 10 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RCoughtrie
quote:
If you can't afford to run it/maintain it/declair it then you shouldn't be driving it.

amen

This.

Also, you'll get away with it until 1) You have a crash 2) You have a random roadside check by VOSA 3) You try to MOT it etc etc etc.
LeeM

31st May 10 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
I love the way muppets try to justify not declaring it as it saves them money!?!

Guess what? Insurers work on risk, the bigger the riskthe larger the premium. Can't afford the premium? Guess what sort of risk you are?

I had an accident in my old XE Nova, not even a big one and the guy still managed to rinse about £100k from my insurers. Everything on that was declared, even down to the shaved locks. All you need is one incident like that and rest of your life is fucked.

fuck me £100k what did you hit?
Limecat
Banned

31st May 10 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A locksmiths Astra van. He had a cracked bumper and headlight, absolutely no panel damage.
LeeM

31st May 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what did he claim for???
Ryan_G1

31st May 10 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All of my cars have been insured as standard. Go on, everyone jump on the bandwagon and tell me I'm a prick.
BarnshaW

31st May 10 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100k my ass

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Not declaring mods/engine conversions... 22 database queries in 0.0168369 seconds