corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mazda 3 MPS Aero

New Poll
  <<  6    7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My Mazda 3 MPS Aero
M Sutton

User status: Offline
18th Jul 11 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks awesome at the Nurburgring!
Graham88

18th Jul 11 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John G
How come you went for white again? id love to see these in black against the red

Absolutely love the car, youv most certainly improved a "very good as standard" car

Cause I love how they looked in white before they went all messed up with brake dust. Just bloody tedious keeping them clean

Cheers mate, much appreciated
quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
How did you find the AD08s?

I'm likely ordering a set for my Corsa at the end of the week...

Awesome, really rate them. Sometimes I found it hard to see if they were any better, but then after feeling my tyres after 15 minutes and someone elses (not sure what they were) but mine were still as hot as if I'd come off track and there's were stone cold. I think the fact I don't really notice the tyres squealing etc means they must be doing well for me not to think they're crap, if that makes sense??
quote:
Originally posted by M Sutton
Looks awesome at the Nurburgring!

Ta
Fad

18th Jul 11 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Must of felt like it was on rails, reckon the extra grip must of helped destroy the cv
Steve
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 18:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not just mazda that employs the stupid policy of having to replace a whole shaft with joint ford do to
corsadonk
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
not just mazda that employs the stupid policy of having to replace a whole shaft with joint ford do to

Ford and Mazda are the same company.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good point
djgritt
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Ford and Mazda are the same company.

Not so much nowadays since they dropped their controlling ownership share from 33-odd% to 3.5% over the last couple of years...

Graham88

18th Jul 11 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah they are basically the same company, have FOMOCO on most parts of the car It's just utter stupidity, especially when a genuine shaft is £450, hence I wanted to try and go with a recon first. I suspect despite me trying to drill into them it was the 2.3 turbo not the 2.0 N/A when the first one blew, that they're still not rebuilding it correctly.

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Must of felt like it was on rails, reckon the extra grip must of helped destroy the cv

The grip was awesome, need my tracking and fast road setup looked at again I think though as I've had the hub apart due to driveshaft etc and it didn't feel as tight through the steering as when I first had it done. Plus where I had to raise the rear because of the track tyres rubbing due to having stiffer sidewalls, it didn't feel as planted on the rear. It didn't handle badly, but I don't think it's handling as well as it could given the mods I've put on it.

[Edited on 18-07-2011 by Graham88]
djgritt
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the feedback on the Tyres! Will give them a punt...
Graham88

18th Jul 11 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just keep an eye on pressures, I bought a tyre pressure gauge for this trip and adjusting them to keep them at 30psi really helped make a difference from previous trips/trackdays
Graham88

19th Jul 11 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's my Ring video, 8:54 BTG now just need to get a lap with no traffic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DBa42lnN7U

Video of me infront of my mate Garry in his VXR. We started on a slow lap but once my tyres were warmed up I leave him as I know the track alot better than he does (only his 2nd lap)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72GqzPsYkmU
N7 THD

21st Jul 11 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stunning pics, looks like you had a right good time!
gavin18787
Premium Member

21st Jul 11 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good

Did the joint give up on a lap? if so hope it didnt cause you any other issues

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Graham88

22nd Jul 11 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by N7 THD
stunning pics, looks like you had a right good time!

Cheers mate, it was epic! Just planned another trip today with a few mates for September, addicted much!?

Yeah it did Gav, coming through foxhole, so wasn't exactly going slow! Didn't cause any problems infact I wasn't really sure if it had gone or not cause it seemed fine apart from the initial clunk :s
Graham88

9th Aug 11 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One turbo out

Bit of play in the shaft....

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/GrahamVFR/Mazda%203%20MPS/?action=view&current=40a55bf5.mp4

A couple of pictures I got sent from someone of my and my mates on the Ring, really cool pic

And with a FRS who I had a very good little play with

Ordered my driveshaft, got a discount from my mate and it was still £345 with £110 discount

Got plenty to be getting on with before Oulton Park on the 30th
AndyCorsaSport

9th Aug 11 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great on track as always. £345 for a drive shaft and thats with discount, ive just put one on my 106, £54
Graham88

9th Aug 11 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ridiculous ain't it. But haven't got a choice! All because the CV joint is knocking. Still trying to get a refund from the recon company after I applied for a refund about 2-3 weeks ago. Only £85 but I think I deserve it back as they didn't meet the terms of service.
Mertin

9th Aug 11 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats happening with the turbo? Overhaul and back in or a replacement / upgrade?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

10th Aug 11 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best be hybrid'ing the turbo while its off!!
Graham88

10th Aug 11 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Overhaul, originally just for oil seals as it was getting very smokey on idle sometimes, but particularly after trackdays or driving hard when the oil was warm & thin, the amount of smoke coming out was scary! But there's play in the shaft so may need more work than I thought. Courier company should have picked it up by now and they'll get it tomorrow, take it apart, assess what needs done & ring me with a price and rough eta.

Not bothering with hybrid, cause 1) it's £499 + VAT 2) it doesn't really give gains worth bothering about 3) everyone I know who's had hybrid has had problems
Graham88

22nd Aug 11 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I spoke to Turbo Dynamics today, and it's not looking good for my turbo.

The compressor and turbine housing have both been marked by the turbine & compressor wheel, the shaft has lots of play in it so this is how it's happened. The bearing housing is scored and it's not an oil seal as such but it's all been worn away and this is why it's been smoking on idle so I'm glad that problem has been found, just didn't expect there to be any other problems.

So basically where it's been left at the moment is Turbine & Compressor housing are scored but useable, needs new turbine, shaft, compressor wheel, centre bearing and the main compononents basically. Problem is I need a new bearing housing which they don't have available so he's going to ring around tomorrow and see if they can get one, if they can then the cost is £350 + VAT at the moment. If not then I'm screwed as they can't do anything with it. Then I really don't know

So it's the waiting game until tomorrow

Well it wasn't good news from Turbo Dynamics, they can't get hold of a bearing housing so there is nothing they can do, so it's getting posted back to me in several pieces, which is nice. After speaking to some people this is a common thing for them to do, so I'm quite glad I haven't got to have any further dealings with them as their customer service was awful. I was having to chase them constantly despite beign promised I'd get a call back to let me know what was happening.

So thanks to another MPS owner for selling me a spare turbo he had which I was really lucky to get hold of, 17k miles and it's like brand new :-)

Turbo goes on tomorrow, to say I'm excited at the thought of getting my car back is an understatement. You don't realise what you have until it's gone!! Been driving my missus Cooper S though and my god it's such a fun little car!

New hose from SFS Performance for the turbo to FMIC crossover pipe & smaller Mikalor as the one fitted is a bit too big

This is my old one, a bit mangled as you can see! Kept popping off, which may have been one of the reasons the turbo started smoking due to overboosting

Bad photo sorry, but the collection of things to be fitted!

New Genuine Driveshaft, Powerflex bush kit for the whole car & turbo!
Graham88

3rd Sep 11 at 04:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well Oulton Park was awesome Well worth the 200 mile trip there! Went up with my mate in his Astra VXR which is so nice, and my mates Dad in his M3 CSL, which is such an awesome car for standard apart from AP brakes all round. Handling wise I can't believe how good it is for standard! But I had good fun in mine I was a bit dissapointed because 75% of people there were professional race teams or people competing in championships, so there was a few Saxo's, loads of Caterhams, 9 R35 GTR's and a couple of full on GT1 race cars. Normal cars there was a Type R, 2 MX-5's, Ferrari 430 Scuderia (but driven by one of the race drivers as it was his own car) and a 458 Italia, again driven by a race driver. So there wasn't really much to play with on the day as I was either miles faster or miles slower. Most fun was with the M3 CSL but in all honesty, and he admits it himself, he's not a great driver so it really wasn't hard to keep up and inevitably overtake, but it was a fun little race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIEsQ3PU2hY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV_6nFjoc4Y

Destroyed my rear brakes for a reason unknown to me at the moment as I put brand new pads in 3 days before & I haven't taken them apart yet to see why it happened, but I've ordered standard rear discs & EBC Yellowstuffs to replace them. I've never been an EBC fan but hopefully they can change my mind.

Now just to prep the car ready for Silverstone in 1 and a half weeks

[Edited on 03-09-2011 by Graham88]
thegsi

3rd Sep 11 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What the fuck have you done to those brakes mate!
M Sutton

3rd Sep 11 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great! What camera are you using on your helmet? looks good quality!
Graham88

3rd Sep 11 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Destroyed em somehow really don't know how that's happened, the Mintex's I put in must be proper crap and just melted under the heat?? Even before the pads got halfway I noticed this happening to the discs, but nothing I could do at that point. Driving home 200 miles with grinding rear brakes wasn't cool though :-(

It's a Go Pro HD I borrowed off my mate with the Astra, I have the non HD version but might buy one of these as I'm impressed with the HD & better sound quality. Also rechargeable battery packs instead of AA's

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mazda 3 MPS Aero 24 database queries in 0.2006898 seconds