corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mazda 3 MPS Aero

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My Mazda 3 MPS Aero
Graham88

User status: Offline
14th Apr 10 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought this in February after looking at several different cars. Choice between this and an Astra VXR, you can see which one came out on top. More for your money, fully specced up as standard, more power, LSD standard, and alot rarer! Only difference in my one was black wheels instead of silver, and a Cobb SRi induction kit, which sounds lovely!

About 15 mins after buying it:

Got it home and cleaned up:

Curious to see what power she was putting out and to check all was running ok I put on Dynotech rollers @ Hayes Engineering in Erith

You can also see I got my private plate put on which I love

As you can see I was more than happy with the power. 10bhp up on standard and 8ft/lb torque up it was running spot on and the air filter giving more or less the extra power it quoted on the website. The only comment was that it was running very rich but that was how most standard maps are, explains why it drinks so much then lol.

Decided to give the brakes a clean up then:

Much better.

Was given a coat of polish too but unfortunately (sods law) it rained on the way to take pics:

Also attended Fast Show with a few friends:

And took some runs up the 1/4 mile, considering I have never launched a turbo car nor this car, I was quite pleased but I know I can get much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNyp8F0PdSw

Now my brakes decided they didn't want to work anymore and greeted me with a nice metallic grinding noise, took the wheel off to figure out why and found the answer:

Bugger. So got some of these superb pads:

And will get them fitted this week along with new discs.

In the near future I will be getting Braided lines and put some Dot 5.1 fluid in. Power will come sooner or later but for now I am very happy with the car. Thanks for reading
FruitBooTeR

14th Apr 10 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You say you chose this over the VXR as it has slightly more power and LSD, but what are prospects like for future upgrades? Can you take these as far as VXRs in terms of mapping and upgrades?

It does look really nice btw and super clean and can imagine it being quite nippy
Laney

14th Apr 10 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WANT
3CorsaMeal

14th Apr 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love it great choice of car, i hardly notice any of them out on the road
Fad

14th Apr 10 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR
You say you chose this over the VXR as it has slightly more power and LSD, but what are prospects like for future upgrades? Can you take these as far as VXRs in terms of mapping and upgrades?

Equal lengh drive shafts and LSD so begging for more power I reckon.

Not so much in this country at the moment but as this engine is in the 3 & 6 I am sure someone will be fettling with it soon.

Quite big in the states as theres a few with 350 bhp at the wheels apprently according to some forums.
Ben G

14th Apr 10 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love it graham 5 door too so practical whereas the vxr only comes in 3 door

266bhp is plenty, especially with the lsd. if they didn't weigh so much they'd be so much quicker, but it's nice to have all those creature comforts.
Graham88

14th Apr 10 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR

It does look really nice btw and super clean and can imagine it being quite nippy

That's a good point tbh and that is not something I anticipated when buying it. Alot of the modifications need to be imported which is where a bit more cost comes into modifying as there are generally no off the shelf parts in this country. Now they are becoming a bit more common more companies are doing mapping and a few companies are looking into the importing side of things so that parts are available in this country.

You can go big turbo on them aswell. Baring in mind a Stage 3 VXR is what, 310bhp? There is an MPS with FMIC (they come with a top mount as standard = wank), downpipe, air filter & Stage 2 Map and it made 340bhp. So the prospect of tuning is definetly there!
quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Equal lengh drive shafts and LSD so begging for more power I reckon.

Not so much in this country at the moment but as this engine is in the 3 & 6 I am sure someone will be fettling with it soon.

Quite big in the states as theres a few with 350 bhp at the wheels apprently according to some forums.

And as Fad states here there are a fair few in the states running big power. Bigger Turbos, quite a few videos on Youtube of some running external wastegates and they sound epic
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
love it graham 5 door too so practical whereas the vxr only comes in 3 door

266bhp is plenty, especially with the lsd. if they didn't weigh so much they'd be so much quicker, but it's nice to have all those creature comforts.

Ben you are definetly getting old before your time The main reason I was put off by this car for a while was because it was a 5 door, but in the end I released it was a minor detail really. If they did a 3 & 5 door version I'd have bought the 3 door. No denying that 5 doors is nice when picking people up as I don't need to get out!

The creature comforts are nice, Bose sound system, A/C, climate control, bucket style seats in half leather etc etc
Fad

14th Apr 10 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben is slowly becoming a minge it'll be all about gardening fairs soon
Ben G

14th Apr 10 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 doors is just easier for everyday life when i had the focus i hated always having to move my seat forwards to get people in the back.

plan on going back to a turbo saloon in about 6 months anyway, with some decent kit so i don't get so bored
Marc

14th Apr 10 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really like this, looking forward to seeing what other plans you have for it. Good to see you've gone for something a bit differant too.
Graham88

14th Apr 10 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree Ben but as it's not an everyday car for me that doesn't really matter

Cheers Marc
Graham88

17th May 10 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I have got the brakes all sorted now, new discs from Mazda and Hel Braided Hoses. Also got some 5.1 Fluid in there, they are immense!

I also attended BHP show at Lydden Hill Race Circuit where 15 mins sessions of tracktime was available, so I booked a couple of sessions. The first one was damp but relatively dry however the 2nd chucked it down just before my go, so wasn't much fun! It was also full of bell ends who wouldn't move out the way or were trying to drift infront of me!!

Session 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdoOTmGnOC0

Session 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLY3v_7qUaQ

A few pics people took for me!

I was very impressed with how capable it was out there! The Aero suspension wasn't too boaty on the corners and the diff certainly helped out of a few corners. I think I surprised a few cars out there and had a few people come up to me and comment how fast it looked, so I was very happy

Now got 4 new Paradas put on aswell which are excellent tyres

Off to Nurburgring this Friday!

[Edited on 17-05-2010 by Graham88]
Dale

17th May 10 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very nice, i have always liked these! You might see my friends Cupra he is off on friday aswell
Graham88

18th May 10 at 03:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ta mate

Soooo many people going out this weekend, it's gonna be rammo :-/
deanmcreynolds26

7th Jun 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really like this mate,

was a car i probably passed in the street until i saw yours, something about mazda that never really attracted me if you know what i mean,

but i would really consider one of these
Graham88

7th Jun 10 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate

It surprises alot of people, I regularly get people coming up to me asking what's in it, then are surprised when I say it's standard and they struggle/get beaten against it! (Private road)

Some pics and vid from the Ring

It was amazing, the weather was so so hot! About 28 degrees I think it was? And the cars out there are unreal! Never seen so many Porsches in my life

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7QYH6iQdEc

Pics:

[Edited on 07-06-2010 by Graham88]
deanmcreynolds26

7th Jun 10 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are these all AWD as well?
Chris x

8th Jun 10 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really do like these cars now!

How are the reapairs coming on?
mike56gte

8th Jun 10 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really like this car! i was at the ring last year and stayed in the same place as you i was in number 89 what are the chances! lol
Graham88

8th Jun 10 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deanmcreynolds26
are these all AWD as well?

No mate the 3's are FWD, the 6's are AWD though but use the same engine
quote:
Originally posted by Chris x
Really do like these cars now!

How are the reapairs coming on?

Ta Yeah all good she'll be good as new in no time!
quote:
Originally posted by mike56gte
really like this car! i was at the ring last year and stayed in the same place as you i was in number 89 what are the chances! lol

Haha how random is that Proper nice place
mike56gte

8th Jun 10 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah really is. want to go back again but its alot of money. did you ever time a lap out of couriosity?
Graham88

8th Jun 10 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't time a lap I was just filming them, in the one I posted I got a 9:33 from bridge to gantry, was held up a couple of times and wasn't flat out, so was quite pleased with that
mike56gte

8th Jun 10 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats pretty good going.
flybikeslee

8th Jun 10 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love the look of these! and as you say better specced than a vxr!
big eck

8th Jun 10 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was all set to buy one of these but the petrol/tax costs kinda put me off tbh. They were dearer than the evo to tax and the fuel consumption is about the same lol.

A hell of a lot of car for the money tho.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mazda 3 MPS Aero 23 database queries in 0.1068261 seconds