corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mazda 3 MPS Aero

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My Mazda 3 MPS Aero
thegsi

User status: Offline
3rd Sep 11 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't of thought that. Maybe if they were on the front but considering the load on the rears, I can't see them failing with the heat. Has it done it both sides? Looks as if they've been binding. Check the piston seals out.

[Edited on 03-09-2011 by thegsi]
Graham88

3rd Sep 11 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah both sides mate. When I get my new pads & discs I'll have a proper look. Don't really want to take it apart too much as if I end up needing new seals I doubt I'll get them in time for Silverstone on the 13th!
Graham88

9th Sep 11 at 04:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Millers Competition Gearbox Oil as the car has 40k on it now so about time it was changed and to maybe try & make the gears slot in a bit easier as 1st & reverse are getting quite stiff. But I think that's probably syncros but hopefully this is a short term solution.

And EBC Yellows for the rear

Got some pics from Oulton Park now

Now just to check the car over before Silverstone on Tuesday. I was going to post the list of cars are going but Hotmail is playing up, but basically it's a BMW day and it's full of M3's so should be fun!
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 11 at 06:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont make gearboxes like they used to i remember when it was unheard of to hear of gearboxes going below 100k now its the norm for them to not last 50k
Graham88

9th Sep 11 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep bit annoying to be honest first turbo now gearbox syncros on a car that's just over 40k. All I get is people saying it gets a hard life so it's bound to go wrong but it probably gets looked after than most MPS's because of that so it's shocking to have such major components failing at 40k/4 years old
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 11 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people dont understand my fabia turbo blew up because a foreign object entered the intake and clashed with the impellors, yet my mum was convinced that it was because i drove it hard formost of its life, even after the garage told her shes still convincedin her head it was down to the way i drove it
John

9th Sep 11 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You made it out like the turbo just failed Steve, didn't tell us it failed because metal doesn't like hitting metal at 100k rpm.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 11 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2nd time 'it just failed' first time something flew in to it
John

9th Sep 11 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who replaced it and what with?

Some dodgy garage with a refurbed part?
N7 THD

9th Sep 11 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good Graham!
Steve
Premium Member

9th Sep 11 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

was actually replaced with a kkk turbo which was meant to be better then the OEM part, clearly not
Mertin

9th Sep 11 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it destroyed a set of 3 day old pads on a track day, and your replacing the pads and away to do another track day at silverstone without investigating the fault wont it just destroy another set of pads?
Only thing I can think of was that they were sticking on for them to wear that much, and with sticking on they wouldve likely had a fair bit of heat in them aswell which wouldve added to destroying them
xa0s
Banned

9th Sep 11 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That photographer is really bad, made it look like you're all parked on the track lol
xa0s
Banned

9th Sep 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
Originally posted by John

was actually replaced with a kkk turbo which was meant to be better then the OEM part, clearly not

KKK turbos come standard on vrs'
Graham88

9th Sep 11 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for comments.

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
If it destroyed a set of 3 day old pads on a track day, and your replacing the pads and away to do another track day at silverstone without investigating the fault wont it just destroy another set of pads?
Only thing I can think of was that they were sticking on for them to wear that much, and with sticking on they wouldve likely had a fair bit of heat in them aswell which wouldve added to destroying them

Possible, I haven't had the rear brakes apart yet as haven't been using the car but got new discs today so will be doing it in the morning. I don't see how they'd suddenly be sticking as the previous pads had been in for months including a few trackdays. This is the first time I'd used cheap Mintex pads, always used Pagid before, so I'm putting it down to that but I'll still have a look obviously. The pistons in the rear caliper are the kind with 2 holes in where you wind them back, and they wind back fairly effortlessly, granted I'm doing it with a pair of long nosed pliers so harder than normal but it's still fairly easy with pressure, so that says to me it can't be sticking? Really don't know tbh. I'll just have to keep an eye on them at Silverstone as I've not got time to be rebuilding a caliper as won't get the parts in time.
quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
That photographer is really bad, made it look like you're all parked on the track lol

Yeah wasn't impressed at all, but pictures are pictures and he was the only one there apparently I certainly won't be buying them so just saved them, even if they did try and stop right clicking
LeeHadfield

10th Sep 11 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOVE this car on the white comps, but is there no way you can get the fmic central?
Graham88

20th Sep 11 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate. Without cutting bits off pipe off and lengthening pipes, no that's just the way the kit comes. That along with where the mounting points are, it'd take alot of work to move it, but I do see what you're saying.

I fixed my gearbox problem too. Discovered the weight on the linkage going into the box was hitting on a Mikalor clamp for the FMIC piping. This made so much sense once I realised because it started happening just after this was all removed and put back on for the new turbo Spent £50 on gearbox oil for no reason but hey ho, at least it's got good oil now.

Rear brakes sorted after destroying them at Oulton Park. New genuine rear discs with EBC Yellowstuff pads.

Think these were past there best?

Attended BMW Car Club trackday with my mate in his Astra VXR, invited by my mates Dad in his M3 CSL. His friends are clearly doing well in life, convoyed up with a Nissan R35 GTR, GT3, GT3RS & E46 M3 with lots of tasty bits. Plenty of nice metal there on the day too, pretty well organised day tbh maybe a little too organised at points for my liking but it was good. Heavy rain shower at the end of the day cut my day as there was no way I was going out in it so I got a ride in the E46 M3, which is bloody lovely and I want it. Some pics from the day:

Seriously love this car

I was out with my mate in his VXR trying to give him some coaching to stop him understeering everywhere as he has never had instruction so was just giving him a basic idea as we had instruction booked for 3pm. Unfortunately on a fast right hander the car started shaking and lost all drive fortunately on the pit lane entrance so we coasted into the garage, got it jacked up and found the driveshaft had popped out from the outer CV joint. As we had no way of fixing it the AA was called and his day was over, gutting really as it was about 30 mins before he was due instruction and I know it would have helped him far more than I could.

It rained so the slicks came off the CSL

End of the day

End of the day for Garry

Then the following Saturday we met up at midnight to leave for Nurburgring for a short weekend trip. Only reason we didn't leave Friday was because it was still a German holiday and there was no accomodation for 6 of us. So the 2am ferry to get there at a decent time Saturday was the only answer, and I really hope I never have to get that ferry again! Absolutely killer.
In typical fashion the car has been running like a dream since I've had the turbo fitted, felt faster than it has in a very long time. So naturally the day before a big trip it starts playing up. Holding back as if I'm coming off the throttle and hesitating at high revs in 3rd and above, as if it can't get enough air/fuel. Cleaned the MAF up but didn't really make a difference, checked plugs but it's not a misfire but was just easy to check. EML light came on when I unplugged it with the car running and car stuttered so at least I knew it was working. On the way to get the light switched off at my mates garage it turned itself off and the car was flying again. Still got it plugged in and only fault code was MAF & IAT which were both expected, cleared them and all was ok. Packed the car up and left for the Ferry and it started doing it again, frustrated wasn't the word! Too late to doing anything and car drove fine normally. Garry had fixed his VXR at about 8pm on Friday night only to drive it up the road and it was shaking like a leaf, so something else got bent when the driveshaft popped out, so he had to leave that behind and bring his Fiancees Golf GTi, which they only got a few weeks before I might add so she wasn't best pleased
So yeah, off to a bad start for the trip if you like!

But it turned into an epic weekend as usual, it's what you make it after all

Running rich much?

Crazy German parking

I let my girlfriend have a lap too, I must be mad

Now the car is having a rest till next year.
Rich H

20th Sep 11 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love this car

Has your mate's VXR got the rollcage fitted now? I only ask, as I heard on the grapevine that it was being done at a place near me recently
Graham88

20th Sep 11 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah got a video from Silverstone too. Got another 2 but haven't had the time to upload them yet. I bought a Go Pro HD because I wanted to do front & rear cams so hopefully you'll find it quite interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPgl8lO4kYE
Graham88

20th Sep 11 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
Love this car

Has your mate's VXR got the rollcage fitted now? I only ask, as I heard on the grapevine that it was being done at a place near me recently

That was when I dropped it off at the powdercoaters to be done white. No pics when it came out as I didn't want to unwrap the bubble wrap incase I damaged it

I will have to get pics of it as I keep forgetting, Willay asked for some a while back But yeah it was done at a place in Sussex, he keeps telling me to get one
Ben G

20th Sep 11 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf have you done to your thumb nail?

car looks really good, no way i'd let my gf drive my pride and joy around the nurburgring though, nutter!
Graham88

20th Sep 11 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
wtf have you done to your thumb nail?

car looks really good, no way i'd let my gf drive my pride and joy around the nurburgring though, nutter!

All those bloody pictures and you comment on that I just have a stumpy thumb!

Ta mate. Yeah I must be a bit mental but it gives me a valid argument for her to let me drive her Cooper S round for a lap as she wants to bring it out one time. It was the most nervous lap I have or ever will do as she has no track experience but she was well within the cars limits (I made sure of that!) so if she overdid it into a bend she had so much grip to get around it anyway. But she was fine, she's a pretty good driver anyway.
big eck

25th Sep 11 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Yep bit annoying to be honest first turbo now gearbox syncros on a car that's just over 40k. All I get is people saying it gets a hard life so it's bound to go wrong but it probably gets looked after than most MPS's because of that so it's shocking to have such major components failing at 40k/4 years old

Sounds like my astra VXR

Really starts to piss you off tho and kills all love for the car imo.
Graham88

26th Sep 11 at 00:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep mine gets that way at times. Or I have nights like tonight where the car is running perfectly and it makes me want to keep it forever! But maybe that's the best time to sell
Graham88

29th Sep 11 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The beasts

[Edited on 29-09-2011 by Graham88]

<<  7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mazda 3 MPS Aero 23 database queries in 0.1939361 seconds