corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone OS 4.0

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone OS 4.0
Rob_Quads

User status: Offline
5th Apr 10 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like we will find out some info on the new OS on April 8th. May also be an insight to when the next iPhone might come out although doubt it.
Matt H

5th Apr 10 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck

I have literally just clicked 'Confirm Order' on a HTC Desire, decided I couldn't be arsed with waiting around for the new iPhone
John

5th Apr 10 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll come out at the same time it does every other year, there's not much guess work.
Matt H

5th Apr 10 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd heard that they were attempting to move it back slightly due to the iPad launch
jrsteeve

5th Apr 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt H
Fuck

I have literally just clicked 'Confirm Order' on a HTC Desire, decided I couldn't be arsed with waiting around for the new iPhone

Got one already and am pretty happy with it so far. Iphone will be daft price if/when the new one's released
LeeM

5th Apr 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are there any rumours about any of the features of the new os?
XSIHardy

5th Apr 10 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf how have you already got the desire?

im waiting for my legend to come,

is there new OS nice?
Rob_Quads

5th Apr 10 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Main thing that looks to be in it is some form of multi-tasking. No-one knows quite what you are going to be allowed to do.

Other than that not really heard much about the new OS - most people are more interested in the new hardware
LeeM

5th Apr 10 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hardware upgrades will be minimal like usual. apple have got it sussed, drip feed the upgrades and people still buy in the millions!
jrsteeve

5th Apr 10 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by XSIHardy
wtf how have you already got the desire?

im waiting for my legend to come,

is there new OS nice?

Got it from carphone warehouse on tues/weds, tmobile shop next door didn't have them in yet. Taken it on T-mobile altho am using my 02 sim for now until the number is sent over to the new contract. It's dam fast on tinterweb and applications only slight gripe is the way text messages are all together rather than having separate sent/inbox etc - altho i've not looked into fixing that yet. Would defo recommend
Dom

5th Apr 10 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will be interesting to see what features they have added to OS 4. Multitasking is the major one, it really would be useful to be able to listen to the radio/spotify and surf the web etc Although i can't see the iPhone getting many updates, new camera (maybe forward facing?) and flash or perhaps a change to the A4 processor.

Matt/XSIHardy - any chance of a mini-review when you two receive the Desire/Legend? The Legend looks the best with that ali unibody, but wondering if the lack in grunt compared to the Desire is really noticeable. Android is an amazing OS though
Matt H

5th Apr 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
quote:
Fuck

Got one already and am pretty happy with it so far. Iphone will be daft price if/when the new one's released

I was a bit wary as in my eyes it is a geek brand, certainly in comparison to the likes of the Apple. But I read a review on it & I've never seen a phone get such a great write up. Putting the image thing aside I'm sure it's miles better than the 3GS, maybe even the newer version when its out

Here's the review if anyone wants to read it btw
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-desire-679515/review

Free phone on a £25 18 month contract - Can't see me getting anything close to that even if it were a 3G iPhone!
LeeM

5th Apr 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ooh multitasking could be cool so i dont get signed out of fb chat f i get a text. it was annoying on my blackberry having to manually close programmes to keep battery life sensible though, could be good could be bad
XSIHardy

5th Apr 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got mine for £30 on a 18 month contract, got plenty for that as well
jrsteeve

5th Apr 10 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Battery life has been a bit shit so far tho, altho i have been hammering the little games and do have it checking for emails every 10 mins. An extra battery may be a worthwhile purchase.

[Edited on 05-04-2010 by jrsteeve]
XSIHardy

5th Apr 10 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh iv read on a review that they have not got a very good battery life on them
ed

5th Apr 10 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on what you do with it. If you just use it as a phone then the battery lasts just fine. If you use it as an iPod, Exchange email and calenders, Facebook, Google Maps and you're on the web all day then it will run out

Hopefully they can upgrade the battery though, as it would be nice
jrsteeve

5th Apr 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Depends on what you do with it. If you just use it as a phone then the battery lasts just fine. If you use it as an iPod, Exchange email and calenders, Facebook, Google Maps and you're on the web all day then it will run out

Yep, just waiting for an uprated battery. At least you have the option for a spare with the Desire, no such luck with the iphone!
Matt H

5th Apr 10 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Battery life has been a bit shit so far tho, altho i have been hammering the little games and do have it checking for emails every 10 mins. An extra battery may be a worthwhile purchase.

There's an app mentioned in the review called AppKiller or something, it shuts down idle apps automatically & helps save battery life. Might be worth a look
XSIHardy

5th Apr 10 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one thing that is worrying me, is the friends stream, really cant see it being very good
ed

6th Apr 10 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed

Yep, just waiting for an uprated battery. At least you have the option for a spare with the Desire, no such luck with the iphone!

I think that Apple (and every one else for that matter) are now obliged to fit a user replaceable battery to their mobile phones due to European law...
jamied

6th Apr 10 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee_wee
ooh multitasking could be cool so i dont get signed out of fb chat f i get a text. it was annoying on my blackberry having to manually close programmes to keep battery life sensible though, could be good could be bad

one of my main reasons for jailbreaking apart from the unlock and free apps lol is a program called backgrounder which lets you multitask and leav any app open.
jrsteeve

6th Apr 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

There's an app mentioned in the review called AppKiller or something, it shuts down idle apps automatically & helps save battery life. Might be worth a look

Sweet just downloaded this, called advanced task control, will see if it helps! Loads of decent free apps so far too, just need a satnav one!
Bart

6th Apr 10 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Main thing that looks to be in it is some form of multi-tasking. No-one knows quite what you are going to be allowed to do.

Indeed.
I think apple have quoted it as along the lines of "multi-tasking support for 3rd party apps". I would interprit (sp) this to be multitasking for apps that apple believe you should be using it for and not everything, i.e, I open a web browser, load a page, switch back to my text messages and the browser doesnt continue to load in the background?

Just my own thoughts though.

PixelCube (an app developer), have noticed iphone's running 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.1 OS in their usage stats.
It doesnt really mean a great deal at this stage, just that they're multitasking with future release builds.
Rob_Quads

6th Apr 10 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

PixelCube (an app developer), have noticed iphone's running 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.1 OS in their usage stats.
It doesnt really mean a great deal at this stage, just that they're multitasking with future release builds.

I had seen this - I am betting it will be

Existing iPhones
New iPhones
iPad

..and they will only allow the multitalking on the new iPhones or something along those lines know they will again get a load more extra sales

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll