corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » my car wont start-now with ecu fault test

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author my car wont start-now with ecu fault test
bobothebear

User status: Offline
13th Mar 03 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you got breakdown cover?
If so push ya car down to the bottom of Dells Lane. Ring up the AA and they will come out and fix it for free or tow you to a garage.
JayCarr

13th Mar 03 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ha ha ha, good idea but i don't think ive got break down cover
could i not by pass one of the oxygen sensors some how and see if it starts then? or would that not work? that way i know what the problem is and can get a new sensor.
bobothebear

14th Mar 03 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Oxygen Sensor that those codes are referring to is the same thing. The Air/fuel lean mix or whatever it referred to was meaning the Exhaust Gases are too lean.

The oxygen sensor is located on your exhaust manifold. And the other end of the wire goes to a bracket thing.
I can't say I have a clue what it would do if you disconnected this and then started the engine
JayCarr

14th Mar 03 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what from the manifold to the air box? there is a little red wire that does this.
JayCarr

14th Mar 03 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello mate its steve, what happening, i've been on the piss in letchworth. My brothers car is shite
bobothebear

14th Mar 03 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That wire is a temperature control vacuum hose if you mean the one that goes into the Fuel Injection unit from your airbox.

There is a wire with like a 14mm(ish) bolt on it. That goes directly into the Exhaust Manifold.Its quite difficult to miss.
You may have to remove the hot air shroud from the manifold to get to it.
I think there are 4 bolts to undo
bobothebear

14th Mar 03 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright big-man. Letchworth is a dump but full of sum nice slags. Are you out this Friday?I'm going to the footie with Joe on Sunday.
Indeed your brothers car is a shite heap.
Just let him drive your car
JayCarr

14th Mar 03 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok then mate, i will try it tomorow then come back on and tell you what happened by the way that was steve in the other post and he is ghey
JayCarr

14th Mar 03 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

martin's band were playin, nuff slags, must have got 27 proposisions. All MINGERS!!!!!! He aint drivin my car for sh!t, he'd stack it at the first chance. It'd be a bit of a change from his 45 bhp to my 150 bhp!!!!!!!
bobothebear

14th Mar 03 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently his is pulling 0 bhp though. So thats gonna be a hell of a increase.
JayCarr

14th Mar 03 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chortle Chortle, nite nite, i may see u 2moro. S7CVO
jondoe

14th Mar 03 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got same prob with 1.8 engine in my corsa but when i towed it round town for a few mins it started ..still wont start from key ....and i have a management light on so i will see what its fault is tmorrow and let u know
Richie

14th Mar 03 at 02:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate jus pop it to a recommended garage in ur area. seems 2 be getting a bit complicated.
LoudandProud

14th Mar 03 at 02:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aah for neone with a ecu (some older motors dont have em) i had this problem where it would also randomly cut out, mine turned out to be a dodgy wire between the ecu-engine whic caused the ecu to lose connection and therefore wouldnt start or it would cut out, try jiggling the wiring loom while someone tries to start it and if it starts then there is ur problem, dont take it to vauxhall cos there wank heads they said my ecu was faulty so i got that sorted n then found out somewhere else what the prob was, neva going to vaixhall again
Sam
Premium Member

14th Mar 03 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jaynova - I'm assuming you checked that all connectors on the engine are well... connected? If the oxygen sensor is plug/connector type thing, it may have been disconnected hence you not being able to start your engine!
JayCarr

14th Mar 03 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but what does the oxygen sensor look like? is it like what bobothebear said, on the manifold there is a wire coming off? if i cant do this then its off to a garage gonna cost loads probobly? im going to give it one more try, jiggling wires here and there. then i will be back
bobothebear

14th Mar 03 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is where I've sed, I've been looking for a picture but its pretty obvious after you have removed the shroud cos it is the only thing going into the exhaust manifold.
Anyway,I've been thinking again and....

The oxygen sensor is used in a closed-loop to control the fuel/air mixture. However the system stays in an open loop mode until the sensor reaches normal operating temperature.
The fault your ECU was giving obviously suggests it is stuck in the Open-Loop hence the Exhaust system is never reaching correct operating temperature.

So disconnecting this I believe should not
have any bearing on getting the bloody thing started because initially the ECU does not use any reading coming from it but it does show something later on ain't right as well.

Sam
Premium Member

14th Mar 03 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jaynova
but what does the oxygen sensor look like? is it like what bobothebear said, on the manifold there is a wire coming off? if i cant do this then its off to a garage gonna cost loads probobly? im going to give it one more try, jiggling wires here and there. then i will be back

Yeah it's on the manifold, and has a wire coming off it. Might need to remove the heat shield from the manifold to get to it though.
JayCarr

14th Mar 03 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive just been out and had another go at it, wiggling wires, connecting blocks etc. and still nothing. i saw the wire coming from the manifold but its quite corroded and also hard to get a spanner on it as its near the edge of the manifold(close to the block) i followed the wire back and it all seems fine, pushed together the blocks it comes to etc. but all cars start when manifold isn't at working temp anyway then takes air directly off the manifold to get the engine hot quicker.so is what you are trying to say that it is the air intake vavle is constantly open and cant get to working temp from the heat of the manifold?
JayCarr

14th Mar 03 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^up we go again!^
bobothebear

14th Mar 03 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No no no no no!!!!!!!
I think your confusing stuff and I'm getting confused.
You are correct in saying all cars start when the manifold isnt at normal operating temperature.
We are going into Electronics talk for the next part.(My degree was worthwhile after all)
The minute you start the engine the Oxygen Sensing system is in whats called an Open Loop.Nothing physically is actually open but "Open" is referring to a term whereby another external system is able to act upon our "open" system.

The Open-loop therefore has a threshold of parameters which must be made true for it to change into a closed-loop.
In our case when the Exhaust gases temperature in the manifold reaches X degrees. Before this happens it is using preset values in the ECU to set Air/Fuel levels.

When the temperature is reached the system changes to a closed loop whereby it is maintaining itself. Taking readings from the Sensor and using these to alter the air/fuel mix.

I think thats right.::
All that info still doesn't help get the bloody things started.
I say take it to the garage or sign up for instant breakdown cover with the AA and claim your first free Homestart today.

[Edited on 14-03-2003 by bobothebear]
mcr-corsa

14th Mar 03 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
JayCarr

14th Mar 03 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im confused too bobo'!
xrayracing

24th Jul 07 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was this ever solved?? We now have the same problem!
nrgdd70
Premium Member

8th Jan 10 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same with my corsa 1.4 sri fuel and spark tookit to garage and it had no compression :@

<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll