corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Help! Oil light flickering, very juddery in low revs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help! Oil light flickering, very juddery in low revs
Robby_W

User status: Offline
   26th Jan 10 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi there, I was wondering if I could get some help/advice, sorry about the essay.

I've got a x14xe corsa b and its been sat for 2 weeks, when I went out the other day to start it, it needed a jump due the alarm and immobiliser, but it took a while for the engine to start which isnt like normal, I just thought it was because it hadn't been start for a few weeks.

When it did start it sounded very rough and the oil light was flickering on and off, I took the hand break off and the brakes had stuck so just gave it a little nudge forward to free the brakes and the oil light stopped flickering. I left to idle for a second and it was idleing quite lumpy, I then took it for a quick spin round the block, it was exteremely hesitant (sp) in low revs, when the revs built up a little bit it drove fine but still sounded a little rough.

When I got it home I reversed it into my space and it felt like the clutch had completely gone or was on the way out so I had to rev it quite a bit to get it to move.

I checked the oil after the engine had been sat a while and the level seems fine so its not the oil level thats a problem.

I have no idea what the problem could be. Anyone had anything similar or the same as this before? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Rob
Kevxx

26th Jan 10 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check your oil pump, and pick up, could just be a blockage, but that also could be causing your other problems.
Robby_W

26th Jan 10 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one, I don't know much about engines and everything so is it quite easy to check?
Kevxx

26th Jan 10 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just did a wee check onthreads too, seems a common fault is Oil preassure switch, which just needs unscrew'd and put back in sorta thing.

oil light means either preassure switch is gone, or your engine is dying.

Oil pick up can be cheked by taking sump off, it's a couple of bolts holding it on.
personally not sure how to check an oil pump mate, sorry.
Robby_W

26th Jan 10 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate, thanks for the help
dean101287

26th Jan 10 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was idleing funny and the revs were dropping to around the 500 mark then the oil light may come on because the engine is not turning over enough to build the oil pressure up. Was your revs jumping as the oil light was flickering?

[Edited on 26-01-2010 by dean101287]
Robby_W

26th Jan 10 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea pretty much, when I took it round the block the light was off until I was breaking with clutch down (so the revs were low) coming up to a junction then it a flickered a little bit until I took my foot off the brake and put it into gear

Any ideas?
dean101287

26th Jan 10 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be idle control valve. How low do the revs drops?
Robby_W

26th Jan 10 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've only had it on for a little bit due to oil light flashing up but on idle the revs would vary between 500 and 1500 but more towards the 500 mark, when I drove it they went down to roughly 600 or 700ish
dean101287

27th Jan 10 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds lime ICV and the oil was flashing becuase of the low revs
Robby_W

27th Jan 10 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the help mate
daine
Premium Member

27th Jan 10 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Robby_W, a quick check mate, take oil filler cap off,stand looking in at the cams and get someboddy to start the car with out reving it, as the engine tick`s over you`ll see the fresh oil apear, that tell`s you your oil pump is working mate
If rev`s stop low then this could be your ICV, like dean said, pain in the neck to take off and clean.......
good look mate hope this helps.
Robby_W

27th Jan 10 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ha cheers for that daine, i'll go out and check that tomorrow when its light, i'll report on how it goes
Robby_W

28th Jan 10 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I sorted it, started it up with the oil cap off and the fresh oil was being brought to the top so just left it to idle for a few minutes and it was fine

No idea what the problem was, might have just been the oil pick up pipe being slightly blocked and running it cleared it out. The idle is still a little up and down, think the ICV needs a good clean but apart from that all ok.

Cheers for all the help and advice

[Edited on 28-01-2010 by Robby_W]

New Poll