corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Handbrake freezes on? (Astra G)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Handbrake freezes on? (Astra G)
dannymccann

User status: Offline
   19th Dec 09 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried to go out in the car this morning and the handbrake had frozen on overnight To solve this issue we drove around for half an hour at slow speeds to try and warm it up a bit, which just resulted in red hot rear discs, but it did solve the problem at the same time

For now we wont be using the handbrake (just leave it in gear) but how do I stop this happening? I believe its the mechanism that controls the cable to hold the rear brakes in place, as the handle inside the car is as loose as a prossie's clunge
ash-si

19th Dec 09 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this happend to mine m8, on my corsa. i drove around for abit and kept pumping the break pedal and it was fine after. just dont pull the hand brake up mas much and leave it pared in gear ;-)
alan-g-w

19th Dec 09 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be putting a wee bit of grease on the cable guides (if it has them) and see if that does anything.
caseboy

19th Dec 09 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea m8 its the cable guides mine did it 2day , mine were packed with ice , used deicer on mine then greesed them !
dannymccann

20th Dec 09 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone know where they are? I havent the foggiest
dannymccann

23rd Dec 09 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump
B3KAN

23rd Dec 09 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the handle inside is still loose then that means that the hand brake is stuck on 1 side, just jack it up and see which side is binding, on the astra g with calipers on the back the handbrake is a wee leaver on the calliper, salt gets into it and makes it stick on, you can strip the leaver off and clean it up and grease it up and it should solve it,once all done pull the handbrake on a few times on and off and see that its still not sticking
alan-g-w

24th Dec 09 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the wheels off the back and follow the cable back until it goes into a plastic bracket looking thing. Pack it with grease and see if it makes a difference.

New Poll