corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rear brakes excessively grabbing - MOT fail

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear brakes excessively grabbing - MOT fail
bradbassett

User status: Offline
9th Dec 09 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello all,

My girlfriends car (96 Corsa 1.4LS) has failed its mot due to the rear brakes excessively grabbing, although the garage I've taken it to aren't quite sure why. Initially with this problem they said they would go about changing either an adjustor or invertor (I've managed to forget the name of the part they said it was, but its supposedly whatever adjusts / controls the amount of pressure that gets applied to the front and rear brakes, and is located somewhere on the rear axle??) but none of their suppliers do this and it is a Vauxhall only part.

The rear cylinders were replaced 18 months ago, but not the shoes at the same time and we've had problems when taking the hand brake off, that the car won't budge and the rear brakes appear to be locked, and it takes a bit of rocking the car backwards and forwards to get the wheels free, although it hasn't done this for a while. So the garage have taken apart the rear brakes to have a look at this and cleaned up all the dust that was in there and checked that all over to make sure its working as it should, but it still grabs excessively on the rear brakes when going to brake.

Has anyone else had this problem at all or have any suggestions as to what could be causing this / what needs replacing.

Any suggestions would be greatly received.

Thanks very much.

Brad
flame

9th Dec 09 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is probably the rear brake proportioning valve that is attached to the rear axle and it is seized. You should be able to get one from a scrap yard or alternativelly dump that valve because they always seize. On all my sports I remove the valve and use the brake pipes from a base model along with their in-line proportioning valves. This in my opinion is a better setup because it isnt affected by lowering the car like the original one on the sports.
I will try and get some pics up of the pipes you need later- it is a straight bolt on job
steve-aoc

9th Dec 09 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could you please put some pics up cause i think i need to do this, did you light used to come on round right hand bends???
flame

9th Dec 09 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The handbrake light do you mean? It didnt come on because there was no problem with the handbrake. The valve that is seized only affects the footbrake. I will get some pics tomorrow in daylight for you
JaffaTB

10th Dec 09 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the light that comes on when going round corners means you have a low brake fluid level if i remember rightly
P1CK4D

10th Dec 09 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JaffaTB
the light that comes on when going round corners means you have a low brake fluid level if i remember rightly

Correct
SportBoy

10th Dec 09 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

handbrake cable not sticking where it goes through the clips on the rear beam?
handbrake shoe/lever not sticking? flexi hose not letting the fluid back?
the shoe hold down springs etc can make them stick on too if there tired.

New Poll