corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » F&#K Sake M.O.T failure, need advice!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author F&#K Sake M.O.T failure, need advice!
Hoddo

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 07 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Argh! my car failed its M.O.T again today, but for things that didnt even come up on the first test.

001 Offside front (no headlight pattern) headlamp not in good working order or adversely affecting beam image

I can see condensation in the lense and there is a small chip, would that be enough to fail it?

002 Offside front velocity joint gaiter insecurely mounted to its housing

this did come up in the last test, the mechanic told be to use a cable tie on it, I actually bought a proper gaiter kit but couldn't get the metal tie to fasten.

Obviously the cable tie wasn't enough?

003 Rear Brake application uneven

I can only assume brake shoe wear, or they were disturbed while changing the bearings?

004 Offside rear brake juddering severely

not a clue? im guessing 3 & 4 are linked!?

sounds like I've got to give in and pay a ripoffanic !

anyone else failed on similar and know any remedies?
SAL
Premium Member

22nd Jun 07 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like a strict mot station imo...im not an mot tester but im sure the rear brake test is done by pulling the handbrake up fully and trying to accelarate thus if the car pulls and the wheels turn = fail

dont quote me on that though, its just i have never seen the rear wheels on the rollers ?

also the rear only works 10% again i think !

as for the headlights, get a new one and dont push the projection arm in, so the beam points high, i just passed through vaux with the niether of them in as i had no time to pee about

btw they sound like c*nts
Hoddo

22nd Jun 07 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stavs
sounds like a strict mot station imo...im not an mot tester but im sure the rear brake test is done by pulling the handbrake up fully and trying to accelarate thus if the car pulls and the wheels turn = fail

dont quote me on that though, its just i have never seen the rear wheels on the rollers ?

also the rear only works 10% again i think !

as for the headlights, get a new one and dont push the projection arm in, so the beam points high, i just passed through vaux with the niether of them in as i had no time to pee about

btw they sound like c*nts

not sure what ya mean about the lights, im guessing i'd understand if I was to tinker around with it.

sourcing a second hand one would be okay?

as for everything else I think I've got to consult a techy!?
SAL
Premium Member

22nd Jun 07 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when you fit the headlights there is a fitting that goes into the headlighr which controls the adjustment, it has to pushed in quite hard ? do you no the bit ?

all the other fittings are for bulbs etc
Hoddo

22nd Jun 07 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I vaguely know what your talking about yes
SAL
Premium Member

22nd Jun 07 at 23:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well dont try and click them in on either side, the part has like a small plastic ball on the end, dont get it to go in its hole, then it will push the headlights up and at the right angle for uk spec.

Hoddo

23rd Jun 07 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okay cheers mate, anyone else had any trouble with the list at the top of the page?
carnuts

24th Jun 07 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well sounds like the rear brakes need adjusting and yeah condensation on the headlight lense will fail mot as the light wont pass through what is water really

i have the same problem on my cv gaitor just seems to love to leak a little even with a brand new tie on it best thing to do is whip it off clean it up and then clip it back on

hope this helps a bit and yeah sounds like you had a really strict mot person
JoeyB

24th Jun 07 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put some tin foil over the head light and switch your head lights on for a bit....should dry it out.
DarkBahamut

24th Jun 07 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stavs

Ive been told that isnt the case. The rear brakes only need to pass a certainly efficiency, it doesnt matter if the wheels tuirn or not. I'm not a tester either but thats what ive been told.

My C had an MOT only a couple of days before i bought it, but the handbrake couldnt even stop the car from moving on a hill. Since then the rear brakes have been taken part more than once, its had new rear brake cylinders and new shoes and while it is better, it still cant lock the rear wheels.
Hoddo

25th Jun 07 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys, hair dryer on the head light will work aswell?

gotta go to the garage for the breaks as thats out my skill range.

New Poll