corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » How Long Will A New Buiild House Last For?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How Long Will A New Buiild House Last For?
Tiger

User status: Offline
8th Nov 09 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've often thought of this.

I live in a new build house, and while you can't ever imagine why it would eventually fall down / be knocked down to build a new house on top of it etc., I can't see it lasting, say, 1000 years.

So, what factors would go for or against the length of time a house would actually last for or at least be liveable in.

Ben.

[Edited on 08-11-2009 by Tiger]
mattk

8th Nov 09 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how long its maintained for, Ive worked in a 450 year old cottage that was still very very solid, yet Ive worked in a 20yr old house that was uninhabited for 3 yeard and it was fit for being knocked down, its amazing how quickly an empty house starts to deteriorate

supose its like a car if you look after it it will keep going
Sam
Premium Member

8th Nov 09 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My other half's family home is a listed building that's like nearly 400 years old and that's still around (only just though LOL)! Mind you they had to completely rebuild it over 30+ years ago as it was literally falling apart but still, as far as we know no major work was done on it before they bought it!
Twiggy

8th Nov 09 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think moden houses are just timber frames and plaster board, which does not help.
AlunJ

8th Nov 09 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't make anything like they used to... (or so i'm told)
Mad Moe

8th Nov 09 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's absolutely no reason why a Timber Framed house couldn't last hundreds of years if properly maintained.
mwg

8th Nov 09 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will have been designed to last a certain amount of time, most stuff is these days. Not sure what that would be on a new build house
smcGSI16V

8th Nov 09 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About a couple of hours at the most if you put a match to one.
lostboy
Banned

8th Nov 09 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The house I live in now is over 100 years old, structurally it's fine just a tad cosmetic work needed.

And considering the area has an underground river and a mine, its not bad at all, although some areas sank into the ground.
DaveyLC

8th Nov 09 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twiggy
I think moden houses are just timber frames and plaster board, which does not help.

As twiggy says most modern houses are mass produced timber frame builds and the bricks are just added to weather proof it, they arent really that structural..

Smaller developers still block build houses.. I live in a 12 year old block built house, the walls are about 18 inches thick so its a bit of a waste of space when land comes at a premium but it will definitely out last a timber frame house as long as there is no subsidance etc.

My old man is an architect and he thinks timberframe houses are brilliant.

I suppose only time will tell, since the 80's most houses are timberframe so give it another 20 years and we'll see what they are like then
ed

8th Nov 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'They aren't really that structural' - interesting thing to say about a structure.
Mad Moe

8th Nov 09 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you'll find that timber frame houses are still a relatively new concept in the UK and certainly weren't common place until the mid to late 90's.
Jake

8th Nov 09 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
the walls are about 18 inches thick

you sure about that?
Eck
Premium Member

8th Nov 09 at 14:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cottage I live in is coming up for 100 years old and it's absolutely solid. Only negative is that it's so old, the road that used to run down the front of our house disappeared and was relocated behind us... So yeah, our house faces out onto tree's
Mad Moe

8th Nov 09 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
the walls are about 18 inches thick

you sure about that?

Could quite conceivably be 14-16 inches think depending upon the size and style of brickwork, potentially wider again if constructed from natural stone.

[Edited on 08-11-2009 by Mad Moe]
Jake

8th Nov 09 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its 12years old and brick/block i cant see it being 18 fucking inches thick. conventional houses have 100mm brickwork-65/75mm cavity then another 102mm for the blockwork. if its natural stone on the other hand it might be slightly thicker
Mad Moe

8th Nov 09 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could also be constructed using a flemish bond to give you that sort of depth, however it's unlikey as it very expensive
Jake

8th Nov 09 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought it could be 9inch brickwork but on a house of that age if it was flemish/english bond i'd have thought it would still be single skin
Mad Moe

8th Nov 09 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont get me wrong mate I think it unlikely as well, just stating that in certain circumstances he could be correct.

My home is knocking on 500 years old, constructed from natural stone that is almost 2ft thick in places
Bonney

8th Nov 09 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Know of someone who lives in a house that is around 15 or so years old and its past it. All the ceilings are cracking, the pipes recently burst in the kitchen, and also the bathroom, The double glazing units have failed (water between the pains of glass) roof tiles slipping, plaster board nails popping out of the walls and coming through the plaster.

Personally i think these new houses are disposable houses as they start to wear quite quickly, Well thats from what i've seen anyway.
jungle

8th Nov 09 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like i say to laura i will never own a new build unless i build it myself! there not worth the hassle when you find out that alot of corners have been cut just to get the thing ready for the buyers
Jake

8th Nov 09 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney66
Know of someone who lives in a house that is around 15 or so years old and its past it. All the ceilings are cracking, the pipes recently burst in the kitchen, and also the bathroom, The double glazing units have failed (water between the pains of glass) roof tiles slipping, plaster board nails popping out of the walls and coming through the plaster.

Personally i think these new houses are disposable houses as they start to wear quite quickly, Well thats from what i've seen anyway.

sounds like a timber frame with all that movement? in fairness double glazed units have beads inside them to soak up moisture and after 10years they are no good and the windows mist up. perfectly normal
Colin

8th Nov 09 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well im moving into a new buld soon but I dont particularly think there built to last. I'll probably move into something older next, nice old cottage, decent sized rooms & some space outside being the draw more than anything else.
AndyKent

8th Nov 09 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to be careful when saying 'new build'.

New build from a massive developer are just done as quick as possible, as cheap as possible.

New build from a small time builder is likely to be miles better quality and you're unlikely to have half as many problems.

I'd have no problems at all living in a new build house, so long as it wasn't from a big construction company
Mad Moe

8th Nov 09 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you're spot on there Andy, I've being doing small high quality developments for the last few years I know for a fact none of my customers would have to worry about the crap they'd put up with off a larger developer

New Poll