corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project X - DAF LF 7.5t Hospitality/Camper conversion

New Poll
  <<  17    18    19    20    21    22    23  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Project X - DAF LF 7.5t Hospitality/Camper conversion
Ste
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Feb 10 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phil W
What do you guys still need?

Money!

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
antnee

10th Feb 10 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another good update lads, coming along well now, just slap a bit of paint here and there and its almost done!

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Just one question. . .will it move with all that gear in it?

Is that a serious question? Do you realise what/how much usually is transported in these wagons?
Leighton

11th Feb 10 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The van is a 7.5 ton waggon so as long as we dont exceed that weight we will be fine.
The empty waggon weights 3.5 ton i think it was, its earlier in the thread, so that gives us about 4 ton to work with.

[Edited on 11-02-2010 by Leighton]
dhanson08

11th Feb 10 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you mean 4 ton?
Ste
Premium Member

11th Feb 10 at 09:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the wagon tares off at just over 5 tonnes so we have 2.5 to work with which must include the weight of all passengers and luggage. we'll be ok i think.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
DaveyLC

11th Feb 10 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking bloody good guys!

<health and safety>
I would be a little dubious about the battery location though.. Would they not be better in a box under the body? You've got a toxic gas and fire risk right there.

</health and safety>
Leighton

11th Feb 10 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had that discution over the weekend, they only release gas when they are charged over a sertan voltage and we are way below that so should not be any trouble at all. Fire risk is minimal i would say as cars dont just go on fir with batteries, and they are located below my bunk on the boat i sail
Ste
Premium Member

11th Feb 10 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, in the motorhomes we have hired in the past, all have had the batteries inside under a seat.

Anton2K3

11th Feb 10 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice work guys! I'm big into building campers, and have built my own. I read a lot of forums and books on the subject, hence this post. When wiring up the batteries, I see you have wired in parallel, so you have 12v at 'x' amp hours. Thats how I did it, however, I have read that the power take off from the bank should be the negative from one end, and the positive form the other, i.e negative from batt 1, and positive from batt 4. This ensures even drainage from the batteries rather than how you have it, where batt 1 will discharge, and 2,3 and 4 will effectively 'charge' it back up. Hope it helps anyway, i got it from a book called travel vans by john speed, highly recommended for a build like this.

Thanks,

Anthon
DaveyLC

11th Feb 10 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Leighton
We had that discution over the weekend, they only release gas when they are charged over a sertan voltage and we are way below that so should not be any trouble at all. Fire risk is minimal i would say as cars dont just go on fir with batteries, and they are located below my bunk on the boat i sail

Under normal usage it is perfectly safe but its when something short circuits or they demand is too high.. I've seen a few car batteries frazzle from over-cranking
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 10 at 17:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Short circuits or over-demand shouldn't be too much of a worry, they're not driving much and they're fused close on the wall adjacent to the locker. Could get a master fuse in there right next to the battery case to be safe.
Ste
Premium Member

11th Feb 10 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Davey, I had a read into this as I was dubious about locating the batteries inside. But, there are safeguards. First. they will only ever be trickle charged. The max charging voltage is about 13.2 for a leisure battery charger. Gassing only occurs above 13.8v. The battery box, although not yet shown on the pics is going to have a fuse directly on the side of it. This will offer short circuit protection. Also, as I've stated before, most motorhome manufacturers fit the leisure batteries under the seating so we are only following the norm.

Chris
Premium Member

11th Feb 10 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its tonne not ton,

7500kgs or 7.5 tonne.

7.5 tonne = 8.26733483 short tons
Ste
Premium Member

11th Feb 10 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I said!

Leighton

11th Feb 10 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shut it Norms !! bloody Yankees

We might have a problem with Towing as we will be over the 8.5 allowed, looks like the A3 is getting a Tow bar
Ste
Premium Member

11th Feb 10 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you'll find you were using the imperial measurement dave!

Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 10 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

8250 Dave.
Leighton

11th Feb 10 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian that even worse
Ste im using the dyslexic measurment
Jon_C
Premium Member

11th Feb 10 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not got paypal. Can i donate cash in any other way
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 10 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bank transfer, I'll u2u you the details if so.
Jon_C
Premium Member

11th Feb 10 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it big man
DaveyLC

11th Feb 10 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
Davey, I had a read into this as I was dubious about locating the batteries inside. But, there are safeguards. First. they will only ever be trickle charged. The max charging voltage is about 13.2 for a leisure battery charger. Gassing only occurs above 13.8v. The battery box, although not yet shown on the pics is going to have a fuse directly on the side of it. This will offer short circuit protection. Also, as I've stated before, most motorhome manufacturers fit the leisure batteries under the seating so we are only following the norm.

Good stuff! Wouldnt want all your hard working going up in smoke
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Feb 10 at 23:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More wiring, 12v fuse rack installed in the top consumer unit. Outside lights are wired up, battery loom is in place, master switch is also bought, just needed more 8awg to feed the CU, that will do tomorrow. Also got all the spade terminals on the lights, 20 sets of wires stripped of both insulation and crimped up, bit boring but it will be nice and bright in there!

Pod floor is made, uprights for one side made and installed. Other side to follow when we get more 2x2 when the shops are open.

Productive bit of fund raising as well, spent the morning relieving the green Puma of this little man

That should raise a few readies.

More tomorrow.

[Edited on 14-02-2010 by Ian]
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

13th Feb 10 at 23:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be getting to see this in the flesh tomorrow, hopefully get to make my mark on it too
am4nf

15th Feb 10 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is one of my fav projects I will actually be sad when its done

<<  17    18    19    20    21    22    23  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project X - DAF LF 7.5t Hospitality/Camper conversion 24 database queries in 0.1972148 seconds