corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » ADSL line

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ADSL line
Jambo

User status: Offline
11th Mar 09 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is it?

What does it do?

And why do i need one?

Thanks
John

11th Mar 09 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's what a bt landline uses for broadband/high speed internet while allowing you to use your phone at the same time.

From your previous posts, unless you have some funky setup you already have one.
ed

11th Mar 09 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's an asymmetric digital subscriber line
Jambo

11th Mar 09 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i have one John

However, our IT company have said moving to another isp is a good idea to increase speed (well, duh!) but they have mentioned upgrading our adsl line too.
Now, im not sure which type we have, but surely this would be a pointless expense if most broadband companies are selling 8mb BB etc on just regular phone lines (BT)

Unless im missing the point
John

11th Mar 09 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no upgrading as such.

Dending on your phone exchange you will be able to get either up to 8meg or up to 20/24 meg.

In either case any isp will give you the same speed, without taking into account some isp's being better than others.

https://www.o2broadband.o2.co.uk/getBroadband.do

Put your number in that and let us know what it comes back with.
Sam
Premium Member

12th Mar 09 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jambo - one thing you could do or ask your IT people to do, is to check whether your broadband modem/router is set up for ADSL or ADSL2. It should be set up for ADSL2 to get the highest possible speeds.

I recently bought a new broadband router for our O2 broadband connection (8Mb), and I couldn't figure out why it was only connecting at 3Mb/4Mb instead of the 8Mb it used to do with the old router - it was because it was defaulted to ADSL rather than ADSL2 in the configuration.
John

12th Mar 09 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can only use ADSL2 if the ISP supports it on that exchange, which we'll see from the results of the o2 checker (for o2 anyway)
Jambo

12th Mar 09 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if that o2 is a line checker then Orange say 6.5meg on my line
John

12th Mar 09 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what services orange offer.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

That's an independant checker, will tell you exactly what's available on your line.
Jambo

12th Mar 09 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bt adsl is 2mb aparently
John

12th Mar 09 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would suggest that the 6.5 meg is the adsl2+ that Sam mentioned.

I'd move to somebody like o2 jambo.

If you know somebody with an o2 phone you can get decent internet really really cheap.

If your line supports 6.5 meg with o2 they only charge 7.50 a month or something like that.

They also have a business package although i'm not sure on the pricing.
Jambo

12th Mar 09 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work for Orange dude, i get it free for the same thing as o2

But i still dont know why our IT guys are recommending upgrading the line, not sure if its just to get more money out of my parents who arent clued up on tech. Etc.

I mean they arent cowboys, decent company so im guessing we will benefit from it, but is it actually needed.
John

12th Mar 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

orange broadband is shocking though

Your IT guys do sound like cowboys tbh.

Without knowing what they mean I wouldn't like to comment but I can't think of anything you'd do to 'upgrade' a line.

Try and find out what it involves and we'll be able to tell you if they're just trying to get money or not.
Dom

12th Mar 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with John, the IT Company would have got your current ISP to do a line check to see if there was a fault before attempting to upgrading your router/switch (as you said in your other post) or do anything else.

Also, if it's business critical i would spend the cash to an extent on getting a decent connection - O2/Be are highly recommended at the moment. Or if you're in a cabled area then look at NTLs Business packages or VM Broadband.

Not sure how much BT charge for a new line and line rental, but if you can get Orange free then you thought about getting a 2nd ADSL line? If not for you then as a backup or for load balancing?
Jambo

12th Mar 09 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

orange BB is better than it used to be! Couple of colleagues have it with no complaints. Money is not an issue, but its not there to be wasted.

Will check out o2s offers as well.

Dom, most of that went over my head i will try and get a more accurate description
Dom

12th Mar 09 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry jambo
backup or load balancing - the first being if one connection goes down then it switches to the other connection (if you had two internet connections - can be a mixture of ADSL/Cable/ISDN/3G/56k what ever etc).

The latter is where two connections are used and the data is split between these two connections. It also means certain applications can be directed to use a certain internet connection - like P2P could use the orange connection for example, while browsing/email and other critical things use the other internet connection. It's a bit extreme perhaps but it has its uses.

I would certainly look at getting two ADSL connections - an orange account and someone else (like said O2/Be - just get a home account). Atleast then if one goes down you have the other and visa versa. Plus the orange account could be used for general browsing/xbox etc and not effect your folks internet etc. Plus it works out a lot cheaper than what you're currently paying.
Although ultimately you would choose a VM connection(cabled broadband) and a ADSL connection for backup as a problem could occur at your exchange taking out all ADSL connections, where as the VM would (99%) still be working and visa versa).

New Poll