corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Time to buy my TV, should i bother though, SONY KDL40V000

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Time to buy my TV, should i bother though, SONY KDL40V000
Bullet Proof SRi

User status: Offline
6th Jan 09 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking at getting a new tv for a while now and decided on getting a Sony, purely for the fact that ive never been disappointed with any Sony product i have bought in the past. Plus you get a free 5 year warranty with their tvs.

Anyway i was debating if to buy the KDL40V4000, or pay the extra and get the W4500, which has the 100hz.

Recently i have been swayed towards the cheaper V4000 as i can now get it for £599 with 5 yr warranty and a free stand.

Thing is, this tv got best budget tv of the year, but after reading some peoples comments in other foroms, im not sure if i should get it.

I have heard some people saying that when playing a normal dvd on it the picture is not actually that good and ghosting can be seen, the digital picture is not great either,

Heres my situation,
The TV is for my bedroom so i will be fairly close to the set, it will be used for gameing and dvds mainly, my dvd player is only basic and does not have upscaling options on it.
Im running a extension lead from the sky box downstairs so i can watch the sky in my room, and through this lead i can get a fairly good signal for terrestrial channels 1 to 4 (though obviously this with be gone soon).

I need to get a new digital aerial to put in the loft if i get this tv so i can watch freeview.

My current tv is a 28"CRT TV which i have had for the last 4 years, and though it was only cheap and is out of date, it has never gone wrong and it has a good picture for dvds, gameing and tv use.

Im unsure of what to do really.

Sorry for the essay

Mase
Premium Member

6th Jan 09 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dads just got the W4500 in 40" and its excellent. He got a blueray player with it as well and the full HD is stunning... good looking telly as well, nice and simple.

Mase
John

6th Jan 09 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the bad comments you read were on avforums don't worry about them and just buy it, they go out their way on there to find the most stupid situations and then say it does something wrong it probably does ghost if you use one certain dvd.

I've not seen a bad sony yet in recent years and thats from their cheapest models to the expensive ones.
Bullet Proof SRi

6th Jan 09 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read bits off loads of forums.

Basically alot of people are telling me to either get a panosonic plasma, which yes i have looked at but the sony has a massive warranty. and a plasma is quite energy hungry.

Or to get a smaller screen

I do sit very close to my current 28"crt tv, probably around 4-5ft most of the time, other times a maximum of 10ft.

I have been told by a few people that a 32"would be more appropriate for that viweing distance, but that wouldnt be any bigger then my current one, as my crt is square and going upto a 32"widescreen would probably work out the same.

so basically a 37 or 40 is the option i think even though some people have said that the picture wont be good sitting that close.
John

6th Jan 09 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't rate plasmas at all unless you spend 2k+.

If you are watching SD stuff on an lcd and are too close for the size it will look absolute pants, HD stuff will be amazing even if its massive though.
LeeM

6th Jan 09 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a 37 in my room, sit about 8 feet away and imo its too big.
however its a samsung series 5 and i cant fault it in any way.
dan_m1les

7th Jan 09 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought this TV on X mas eve from mazon for £360 and it is a quality peice of kit, would definately recommend.

I think it is now £350.00 on play.com and still 360 on amazon.co.uk as well.
John

7th Jan 09 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sure you didn't buy the 32"?
Bullet Proof SRi

7th Jan 09 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that must of been the 32"

Im still quite unsure of what to get tbh, if i want the 40Sony i need to go order it moro on my day off.

Other comments i have had elsewhere about it being too big for the distance i sit it (meaning a poor picture) has put me off a bit.
ash_corsa

7th Jan 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plasma beats LCD hands down.
Just read the reviews, just bought a Panasonic 37" plasma with 5yr warranty for £479
PQ is stunning, blacks are black and the contrast is excellent.
LCDs just cant get the black levels of plasmas and it make a huge difference when watching films.

Just my opinion of course, read the review here, it won best 37" TV for the 2nd year running http://whathifi.com/Review/Panasonic-TH-37PX80B/
John

7th Jan 09 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Until my mate told me about that TV I didn't know they still sold tv's with 1024x768 res

That's a 4:3 resolution in a 16:9 size because of the rectangular pixels.

I'd much rather have 1080p instead of better blacks no matter what the review says.

[Edited on 07-01-2009 by John]
Bart

7th Jan 09 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee_wee
i have a 37 in my room, sit about 8 feet away and imo its too big.
however its a samsung series 5 and i cant fault it in any way.

I have a few friends with the samsung series 5 and they are all really chufft with it.
Make sure it has a high contrast ratio and you cant go wrong.
ash_corsa

7th Jan 09 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Until my mate told me about that TV I didn't know they still sold tv's with 1024x768 res

That's a 4:3 resolution in a 16:9 size because of the rectangular pixels.

I'd much rather have 1080p instead of better blacks no matter what the review says.

[Edited on 07-01-2009 by John]

What are you on about? Half of the TVs on the market arnt full HD
If it really made that much of a difference, dont you think it wouldnt have won the group test of which included full HD TVs??
If you saw the two TVs side by side i very much doubt you could tell which one was full HD and which was HD ready. But your could certainly see the grey- blacks on the LCD and it would piss you right off when watching a bluray.
Dont just go on what you hear off your mates

[Edited on 07-01-2009 by ash_corsa]
John

7th Jan 09 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate loves that panasonic, he was telling me how it had won and that it was 1024x768, I don't listen to anybody regarding tv's, I research and make my own mind up.

I'd still rather have a 720p lcd than a 1024x768 plasma, again because that's what i've decided from what i've seen, not what i've read in a magazine.
ash_corsa

7th Jan 09 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
My mate loves that panasonic, he was telling me how it had won and that it was 1024x768, I don't listen to anybody regarding tv's, I research and make my own mind up.

I'd still rather have a 720p lcd than a 1024x768 plasma, again because that's what i've decided from what i've seen, not what i've read in a magazine.

Fair enough

New Poll