corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » onkyo 606

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author onkyo 606
ssj_kakarot

User status: Offline
12th Nov 08 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just ordered one with a set of 5.1 jamo speakers for £623 including all speaker cables and hdmi cables ect with free delivery not to bad.

any one got one or a previous model not used onkyo before previous av reciever was just a £100 sony, reckon the upgrade in sound is actually noticable and worth it lol perhaps i should have demo'd it before but the reviews seem great for it.

not got anything thats runs trueHD yet though mabye ill purchase a ps3 as my bluray media player cant do trueHD yet, till they release a graphics card that can send trueHD, current only passes fts through hdmi unfortunetly.

although the ps3 apparently decodes the HD audio onboard and trasmits the result to the reciever via hdmi hmmmm.

[Edited on 12-11-2008 by ssj_kakarot]
John

12th Nov 08 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a 505 and tannoy speakers, it's excellent.

When I compare it to the sony all in one downstairs the clarity is just much better, a sharper sound.
ssj_kakarot

12th Nov 08 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im intrested to see what the 1080i upscaling can do, dont hold much hope of it making a nes outputted through s-video much better though lol.
Toby
Premium Member

12th Nov 08 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have the 605 with some mission speakers and its a good setup, my brother has a cheaper package, he got a 518 i think with some onkyo speakers for 315 and this systyem is really good tbh even though it only has HDMI pass through and cant support true HD sound its a great bit of kit
Dav

12th Nov 08 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the 674E with Kef 5.1 speakers. I like the Onkyo stuff. My DVD upscaler and iPod dock are Onkyo too and they all work well along with my setup.
Toby
Premium Member

12th Nov 08 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what is the ipod dock like, doe iy work with the video?
ash_corsa

12th Nov 08 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot

although the ps3 apparently decodes the HD audio onboard and trasmits the result to the reciever via hdmi hmmmm.

[Edited on 12-11-2008 by ssj_kakarot]

Yep, im pretty sure the PS3 decodes the audio then sends it via HDMI as LPCM
A decent HD source will make you appreciate your new purchase much more!
Good choice with the 606, very highly rated piece of kit and excellent value for money
oceansoul

12th Nov 08 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

am i understanding this right, that only 1 connection is needed from amp to TV (HDMI) and all the other inputs are upscaled and sent to the tv along this cable? I.E. 360 to component on the amp then to tv via HDMI, and Freeview to s vhs on amp then to hdmi on tv. or do all the video connections need to be connected to the tv and i need to change the input on the tv and amp?

cheers, im looking for a new amp atm...
ash_corsa

12th Nov 08 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
am i understanding this right, that only 1 connection is needed from amp to TV (HDMI) and all the other inputs are upscaled and sent to the tv along this cable? I.E. 360 to component on the amp then to tv via HDMI, and Freeview to s vhs on amp then to hdmi on tv. or do all the video connections need to be connected to the tv and i need to change the input on the tv and amp?

Yes, all the sources will be displayed via HDMI as the 606 up-scales to 1080i
So you will only need a HDMI from the Amp to TV
xa0s
Banned

13th Nov 08 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the 605 (same as the 606 but only 2 HDMI's).

The PS3 decodes dts-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD so your amp won't be doing any of the work unfortunately, and the pretty little light won't light up. The PS3 sends it as LPCM (as mentioned above), so pretty much any HDMI amp will sound the same as the 605/606.

Still, you're future-proofing yourself.

Best sub £500 amp you can get, though -- good choice...

Any questions, let me know -- I know them inside out practically.

[Edited on 13-11-2008 by xa0s]
xa0s
Banned

13th Nov 08 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul

Yes. Get the 606 or if you're looking for something cheaper get a discounted 605 as it's exactly the same basically, but with 2 less HDMI inputs.
xa0s
Banned

13th Nov 08 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
im intrested to see what the 1080i upscaling can do, dont hold much hope of it making a nes outputted through s-video much better though lol.

Barely fuck-all difference mate -- seriously.
ssj_kakarot

13th Nov 08 at 00:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
quote:

Barely fuck-all difference mate -- seriously.

bah not that i got it for the upscaling it would just be nice to play some of my old retro consoles without them looking utter shite, not to worry though always have the emulators on my media centre.
Dav

13th Nov 08 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
what is the ipod dock like, doe iy work with the video?
Not to go off topic of the 606, but to answer your question... Not all iPods are supported by the dock. I know my iPod Classic or anything newer (Touch, iPhone, etc.) isn't compatible with the video function, only audio and on screen display. Which is all I bought it for anyway.

From the side of the box, compatible iPods are:

5th generation iPod (with video)
iPod Photo (with colour display)
4th Generation iPod
2nd generation iPod Nano
1st generation iPod Nano
iPod Mini

* 1st/2nd/3rd generation iPods are not supported.
xa0s
Banned

13th Nov 08 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a Onkyo dock (Onkyo DS-A1 -- same as the A2), and that supported the iPhone, Touch, etc...

New Poll