corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » How do I remove sealant quickly and easily?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How do I remove sealant quickly and easily?
dannymccann

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 08 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bathroom sealant im talking about. Theres huge gaping holes in the outside walls letting a right wind in so one weekend I decided to fill it with bathroom sealant. However, me being me I got straight on in there and tbh whilst it does its job its a right fucking mess So im thinking dissolve / take off all the sealant I put on and do a better job of it again.....

So what dissolves sealant and not the plastic pipes its stuck to? Or how do I get it off? Could I just sandpaper the current gashness?
Robbo

22nd Oct 08 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SOMETIMES JUST PULL IT OFF IF YOU MEAN LIKE MASTIC? USE THE END OF A SPOON OR SOMETHNG
myke

22nd Oct 08 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stanley knife and or a scaper normally.
what other material is it on? if it's on brick or block work you should be able to peel it off.
dannymccann

22nd Oct 08 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea its on brick, shall i get pictures? Its a truely woeful job

[Edited on 22-10-2008 by dannymccann]
dannymccann

22nd Oct 08 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They go from Best to worst, 4 different ones

After those 2 it started getting cold

Hmmm.....wonder if the landlord will notice
Haimsey
Premium Member

22nd Oct 08 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pick away at it tbh.

Wickes sell a solution you put on but i wouldnt reccommend it, its shit

[Edited on 22-10-2008 by Haimsey]

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
dannymccann

22nd Oct 08 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Told you it was shit, I had a little pick at it when I went out to take them photos but its fairly solid, considering its £1 from Wilko

You reckon my sandpaper idea could work? Ideally id like to not take it all off and fuck it up again
Bonney

22nd Oct 08 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get something called silicone eater from b&q. You put it on and leave it for 24 hours, Come back to it and it just falls off.
Wrighty

22nd Oct 08 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney66
You can get something called silicone eater from b&q. You put it on and leave it for 24 hours, Come back to it and it just falls off.

petrol has done the trick before

how i found out was trying to sealant up a hole above a fuel tank..next day it had gone
dannymccann

23rd Oct 08 at 07:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But would using a little petrol disintegrate the plastic pipes its attached to? I might nip to B&Q on the way home from uni and see if I can see that stuff
C2RL R

23rd Oct 08 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is brilliant mate! nice work!
on a serious note, not sure about removing the silicone but i'd suggest you try expaniding foam in the gaps when you re-do it. i've not tried it myself but my mate (builder) uses it for allsorts and told me to try it.
pow
Premium Member

23rd Oct 08 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah sealent isnt the best thing to use. Expanding foam FTW
dannymccann

23rd Oct 08 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was going to use expanding foam but I had no idea how much it expanded, which is why I went for sealant as I thought I would be able to control it better

If its ok tomorrow Ill nip to B&Q / Homebase and see about that remover stuff, then see if I can get some expanding foam at the same time...
myke

23rd Oct 08 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

expanding foam is savage.
it does expand a lot, so go slow with it.
don't get it on anything you don't want it on. especially your hands/clothes.
dannymccann

23rd Oct 08 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea you see now this is where I would fall down, I do everything in a rush, which is why the job I did last time looks like it does. I think I will give it another go with sealant, and if I fuck it up again my dad can help me next time, he is more patient than me
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

24th Oct 08 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought my sealant around my bath was bad, sealent is a real pain to work with, i have some of the sealant dissolver stuff to redo around my bath, sure it will do the job. haven't got round to doing it yet, it isn't bad at all im just a perfectionist and want it perfect
AK

24th Oct 08 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just use a knife.....

and work with small 'squirts' at a time....
dannymccann

24th Oct 08 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea it came out like that because I didnt screw the small end squirter thing on So I was using huge gobs of the stuff everytime i squirted it. O well learn from mistakes. Ill try not to take a finger off with my stanley

edit - just been out there for 45 minutes taking the stuff off. It came off surprisingly easy with the stanley but 20 mins in the stupid blade snapped in half, so thats gone in the bin.

Dont worry, DIY Dan to the rescue, using a flat head screw driver as a chisel () I managed to get it off even easier. From what I can see Ive managed to clean up the existing stuff and where its been cleaned up but left a hole Ive refilled it, better this time, but there are still draughts coming from that end of the house, bugs the hell out of me

[Edited on 24-10-2008 by dannymccann]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

24th Oct 08 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got expanding foam in my hair last week.

Sticks like cum to a bedsheet.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
dannymccann

24th Oct 08 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice
sigibbons

24th Oct 08 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mix up some mortar and fill round those pipes, sealant or expanding foam will always look cack!
dannymccann

24th Oct 08 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a rented place, im not doing building work for him, if I fuck it up he can find it years down the line when he wont know buggery
myke

27th Oct 08 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's the inside leaf of the wall that's the air barrier. the cavity of the wall will be vented (should see a few air bricks here and there) so if the pipes go through similar sized holes on the inside wall with no sealing then there will still be draughts.
this'll probably be behind the cupboard, so might be hard to see, but if you can get to it then it'll be worth trying to patch up.
dannymccann

30th Oct 08 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea its mainly the pipes for the bath / shower which run underneath the bath behind this sealed frontage (tiled and grouted). As it happens it was when they remoed this frontage the draughts started to get a new pipe in a never replaced it. I can see where the pipes are entering and ive attempted to stuff insulation foam in there but its a pig of a job because the sink leg is in the way and I dont bend like I need to Its ok for now, Ive sorted the majority of it the other day when I patched up the hole in the side of the bath frontage
myke

30th Oct 08 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also if you have pipe boxing elsewhere that leads under the bath and behind the panel, then this will be an air path.
my toilet waste goes through a horizontal box into a vertical box for the SVP. The SVP boxing goes into the vented loft space and the acold comes out the open end of the horizontal box behind my toilet.

might be worth you plugging everything if you have noticable draughts still.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll