corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless Router

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless Router
Brabus

User status: Offline
14th Oct 08 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The signal from the wireless router in my house wont reach to my xbox so i can play online, is there somthing i can buy to 'Boost' the signal? There are no other telephone sockets in my house so cant move the router closer.
Toby
Premium Member

14th Oct 08 at 14:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but it involoves buying a new router or an access point, look for examples with MIMO technology multi in and multi out
or you can look into running it through your electricity cricuit in you house with adaptops that you plug into plug sockest, the latter has some advanatges as its a wired system but is very exspenvie

[Edited on 14-10-2008 by CorsaB4ever]
Toby
Premium Member

14th Oct 08 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=8870&source=froogle

that would be a good router for your needs also gives a quicker connection so less lag on the xbox

http://www.thehightechstore.com/electricinternet.html through the electric circuit
John

14th Oct 08 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

USB extension lead to move the adapter to somewhere it can pick the signal up?

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/112497

the 360 adapter is 802.11g so won't go faster than 54mbps

[Edited on 14-10-2008 by John]
MJFF88

14th Oct 08 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know if its a myth, but something such as a beans tin over the aerial
Toby
Premium Member

14th Oct 08 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

the 360 adapter is 802.11g so won't go faster than 54mbps

[Edited on 14-10-2008 by John]

didnt know that
Brabus

14th Oct 08 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the replys guys, ill try out one of these ideas me thinks, the USB extension would be a good idea but the Belkin saves me having a wire running all the way accross my house. £30, barjin!

want to get it sorted for GOW 2 and COD5

[Edited on 14-10-2008 by Brabus]
Brabus

21st Oct 08 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John, ive been told that the lag on the 360 is pretty bad if the wireless connection is not strong, and also, its £30 for the range extender and £40 for the wireless dongle for the xbox so thats £70,

For £40 i could get a pair of these: what you think?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/741012

Is 85mpbs ok?
John

21st Oct 08 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

85mbps will be more than enough, is there no way you can just route a bit of cat5 tidily?
Brabus

21st Oct 08 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately not as my room is a loft conversion in a seperate double garage slightly away from the house but all the electrics run on the same circuit.

UPDATE: Found the exact ones on ebay £37 delivered:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ADVENT-STARTER-KIT-POWERLINE-ETHERNET-ADAPTER-PAIR_W0QQitemZ280277660938QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280277660938&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

PC world £65 delivered, robbing c**ts

[Edited on 21-10-2008 by Brabus]
A2H GO

23rd Oct 08 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so these are here and working a treat, One thing though, i got one plugged into my router and the other plugged in, in my room, can i plug another wireless router into the other end so i don't have to plug the ethernet cable into my laptop/use my iphone wireless connection?
James_DT

23rd Oct 08 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plug a wireless access point in at the other end and yes, you can have wireless up there too.
A2H GO

23rd Oct 08 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just plugged a spare talk talk router i had in the other end and my laptops not picking up any wireless connections?

[Edited on 23-10-2008 by CorsAsh-Sport]
Brabus

24th Oct 08 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any ideas John?

bearing in mind if i plug the ethernet cable from the wall straight into the laptop it connects perfectly, when i plug it into the router the LAN light is orange, i think it should be green. Therefore the connection is fine its just the router is not transmitting the wireless signal. When i search for the network using the laptop it does not even pick it up, so its not asif its there but just wont connet.

[Edited on 24-10-2008 by Brabus]
John

24th Oct 08 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd have to set it up so that either the router just acts as an access point (dependant on router I think) or give the second router an ip on the same subnet as the first one and it should all work, never set one up that way before but should work afaik.
Brabus

24th Oct 08 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate so, only some routers can be setup as an access point only(if this is the case i dont mind buying one for this purpose) alternatively change the second router so it runs on the same subnet at the original Netgear one. How do i do that? I typed in my IP into the address bar and logged in using 'admin' and 'password' however all the details were for the netgear router in the house. Do i need to install the CD i got with the talk talk router, ie maybe the driver will need to be installed.
James_DT

24th Oct 08 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, no CDs required.
Both routers are probably after the same IP address, so as the first router's taken it, then you'll connect to that.
You might need to turn off the first router to free up the IP for long enough to connect to it, turn off the DHCP server, turn on the DHCP client and set it to Access Point only. Then turn that one off, turn the first back on and then the second when the first one's booted.
A2H GO

25th Oct 08 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im with you up to the 'turn off the DHCP server and turning on the DCHP client, then setting it to access point only', do i do this by typing the IP into the address bar and logging in.
A2H GO

25th Oct 08 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, got this far

Old router:

New router i need to use as WAP:

What do i need to change?
James_DT

25th Oct 08 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Change DHCP Server to None on the Huawei.
The LAN settings bit should enable you to manually set the IP address, or set it to pick it up by DHCP.
There might be an 'Access Point only' option somewhere, but it should work without it.
A2H GO

25th Oct 08 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, so ive changed the Huawei to DCHP 'None' and changed the IP in LAN settings on the Huawei to 192.168.1.200, as this is within the range of the netgear but out of the range on the Huawei(as thats 3-65) Is that right?

There is no option for wireless access point on the Huawei under any of the menus, there is on the Netgear and thats enabled but dont suppose that makes any difference.

Anyway thats what ive done so far and its still not transmitting a wireless signal?

Bit of a ball ache this, was expecting to plug it in and it work Cheers for your help though mate.

[Edited on 25-10-2008 by CorsAsh-Sport]
James_DT

25th Oct 08 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport

Bit of a ball ache this, was expecting to plug it in and it work

That's the theory.
The Netgear assigns IPs in the 192.168.0.x range, so you'll need the Huawei set to 192.168.0.200 and not 192.168.1.200. Regardless of it's IP settings, it should still transmit the wireless signal.

A2H GO

26th Oct 08 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so had a go at setting it to:

But get this:

It will accept the 192.168.1.200 no problems, when i put in 192.168.0.200 it dont like it. Does the netgear need to be conneted when i input this and click save? At the moment ive only got one connected at a time whilst im trying to set it up. I read somewhere about plugging the Huawei straight into the back of the netgear?

[Edited on 26-10-2008 by CorsAsh-Sport]
James_DT

26th Oct 08 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once you've set it to 192.168.0.200 and hit save, connect the Netgear, and then reboot the Huawei and restart your network connection.
You'll then need to use 192.168.0.200 to connect to the Huawei.
Brabus

27th Oct 08 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill have a crack at that when i get in tonight,cheers James.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll