corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Pensions

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pensions
Cosmo

User status: Offline
11th Aug 08 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Dont forget the effects of inheritance tax peoples

Ways round that too

Invest in properties.

Still get taxed on that.
Robbo

11th Aug 08 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly, iht just becomes cgt
VegasPhil
Premium Member

11th Aug 08 at 22:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking of opting out of mine and taking my money back.

Loads of older people I know have been fucked over with their pensions.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Hammer

11th Aug 08 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going forward i'd say being more creative with the way you invest would be your best bet. As with anything though big gains carries big risk so it's not a uniform formula to get the most out your money, no one has a right and wrong answer really.

I'll die young though so i'm not really giving a shit about pensions and planning
AK

12th Aug 08 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took on out at 23 i think

(had one prior to that though)

one from 23 till 26 - paid in about 6%, company matched it - so around 16k.

current one (which includes previous one)... company pays 200 a month, i pay whatever... currently 200.
Kerry

12th Aug 08 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a final salary pension what ever that means
Dean_W

12th Aug 08 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Example....if you pay in £100 a month into a pension do you get £100 a month back?
Robbo

12th Aug 08 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, because it should grow as the pension company invests it on your behalf.

Kerry - final salary pension schemes are fairly self-explanatory... if you stayed at the comopany until your retuirement, then you would receive a pension every year equivalent to your final salary... in reality you wouldnt cos ud take some lump sum tax free and a reduced annual pension but still

The bad news is no-one generally allows entry into a final salary scheme anymore and those in them alreayd will be migrated to defined contribution schemes as time passes (Put £100 in, watch it grow, get that back) as no-one can sustain final salary schemes anymore... hence protests you hear about pensions (ie royal mail)

[Edited on 12-08-2008 by Robbo]
Robbo

12th Aug 08 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, dying before returement age DOES NOT mean you lose your pension, it goes to your defined beneficiary

The only thing you lose (besides your life lol) by dyign prior to reaching retirement age is the amount you paid in NI
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 08 at 11:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, Robbo, I was thinking that. My Grandad dies and she get his BA pension (its omgz big).
Robbo

12th Aug 08 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yesh, no-one should lose their pension through passing away (although IIRC there are certain tiems when this could technically happen) but as said, NI contributions (so your state pension) do disappear... although IIRC your spouse gets something in return
Conway563

12th Aug 08 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started paying in to one when I started my new job in may. Only pay 2% which the company matches but can't afford more than that at the moment.
By paying in to it though I actually take more home a month than if I didn't have one.
Also set it up so that if I die it all goes to my daughter when she's 18
Robbo

12th Aug 08 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anythign you can afford is better than nothing at all, if only to get the tax break and take advantage fo the free money that comes form the employer
Twiggy

12th Aug 08 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been paying in since 19 ish at one point i was paying in 15% when single and no comitments (my employer also put in 15%!!) now i put in 6% and employer 9% i am now 24

[Edited on 12-08-2008 by Twiggy]
stubbsy05

13th Aug 08 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started at 17 with the following:

6% of my salary matched by employer.

Moved companies at age 21 and now been here for 2 years on following:

4% of my salary and company pays 12%

[Edited on 13-08-2008 by Alex.S]
Fee

13th Aug 08 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't remember the exact rules...or what they relate to

But if you die before you start taking your penion your beneficiaries will get a pay out.
If you die after you retire and have started taking your pension, they dont

There are ways around IHT....so many exemptions
It just depends who you want to leave your stuff to and how well prepared you are
Kerry

13th Aug 08 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
The bad news is no-one generally allows entry into a final salary scheme anymore and those in them alreayd will be migrated to defined contribution schemes

yes final salary pension is no longer available with RBS and the people that were already on it got offered a payrise to come out of it and onto the new scheme. I however stuck with it so I will get final salary pension when I retire (still dont know what it means )
Robbo

13th Aug 08 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well you won't, a) you won't be there when you retire and b) they will forceably migrate you in the 30 years before you retire m'dear

As I said, a final salary scheme is as it says on the tin... your annual pension is the same as your final salary Or, usually less because you take some of it as a lump sum tax free upon retirement... as said though, these are drying up and people are being offered incentives to leave them... but in the comign years people will be forced off them as the companies literally cannot afford to pay them
Kerry

13th Aug 08 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im pretty sure mines gaurenteed!!
they already did the migration process when they stopped the scheme and i fully intend on staying with the company long term unless something major changes in my life
neoquip

17th Aug 08 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

started my private pension back in 1992 when i was 18.
£30 a month.

two years on in 1994 the pension company told me if i want to keep on top of inflation i should be now putting £120 a month in!!!! (thats in 1994!!)
so i just increased it to £50 a month and decided not to put any silly money into it.

now in 2008 I had the valuation predictions what the pension will be worth when I'm 65 (in 2039) at the curren rate i'll have a lump sum of £39k and a yeary pension of £3400.

now ask yourself if a private pension is worth it?

I'm now planning of stopping any more payment into the private pension and instead I'll put the £50 a month in an ISA.

As i can access the funds in the ISA when ever I want. The money in the pension can't be touched.

IMO Unless you have a company final sallary pension with say.. BOOTS, NHS, the Council, I don't see a private pension working unless your sticking £800 a month away for somethinng you might live only one year into seeing.

with pensions, the total amount you put away over the period of time you've had it will be the amount you get back as a lump sum.
So you might as well look at other savings plans like an ISA.

Or... Property!
as I have.

just my thoughts btw.
Tim
Site Administrator

17th Aug 08 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funnily enough (as I'm a soon-to-be Dad) I saw an interesting article the other day. Shows you really should start your pension earlier rather than later, which I'm glad I have...

If I pay £1200 a year in to a CTF for 18 years, and top this up with £3000 gifts in to a unit trust, then assuming 6% growth a year they'd have about £500k by their 18th birthday. Stick that in the bank for the next 42 years and again with 6% growth would become about £5.7m at 60 (although inflation would mean that's not as amazing as it sounds).

Plus you can also apparently start a pension for your kids from birth (£3600 a year including tax relief), so you could easily make them a millionaire in their 30s
bishbosh

17th Aug 08 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean "£3000 Gifts"?

Tim
Site Administrator

17th Aug 08 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just that... a gift.

I believe you can give up to £3000 a year completely exempt from capitals gains/inheritance tax.
Robbo

18th Aug 08 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Tim is correct, you can gift each child £3k per year exempt from IHT (Cash is always exempt from CGT)

Thats from both parents btw
Tim
Site Administrator

18th Aug 08 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So sounds like a great way to sort your kids pension before they even hit adulthood...

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll