corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » So, I'm going to build a track car

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author So, I'm going to build a track car
AK

User status: Offline
5th Mar 08 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Yeh I agree with AK, also it now sounds like you want to build a 'Show' track car, rather than a 'track car'.

Is Broster's a 'show' track car?

Its done 1 trackday that I know of and blew up... ages ago. What would you call it at the moment?
broster
Premium Member

5th Mar 08 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
quote:
quote:
Yeh I agree with AK, also it now sounds like you want to build a 'Show' track car, rather than a 'track car'.

Is Broster's a 'show' track car?

Its done 1 trackday that I know of and blew up... ages ago. What would you call it at the moment?

at the moment id call it a paper weight
jr

5th Mar 08 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it would have dont alot more though, if it hasnt have died with jamie at the wheel

I think alot have missed the point

Robin now has access to alot of tools, time, ramps, knowledge and discount/free stuff, he is goning to want to build something using all these, and not just buy a standard 106 rallye etc, no matter how sensible this may be
Fad

5th Mar 08 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just can't understand why it has to be old rwd and need building?

why not buy a cheap fwd hot hatch and just enjoy it untill finances become better?
jr

5th Mar 08 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read above

rob can get mega cheap duratec stuff, prob build one much much cheaper than brosters engine, and cheaper than any xe, good engine is

and RWD as its not FWD and gay

and most RWD car are older

[Edited on 05-03-2008 by jr]
Fad

5th Mar 08 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont care how cheap he "says" he is getting the bits and labour I bet my bottom dollar it will in the long run be MUCH MUCH more expensive than buying something decent in the first place.

Maybe I could use Broster as an example in this case?

RWD may be cool but I think your missing the point of a track day car if your main conern is trying to look cool infront of your mates.

Robin the above is not a dig at you in any way but as you mentioned yourself you cant really afford aall singing and dancing car and I do know you love your cars that are "different" and retro but in this case I do belive its all about buying something usable and getting some track time and then later on when your finances settle build something cool. Otherwise your going to end up with an Acid dipped concours track car that'll you'll be scared of pranging?

[Edited on 05-03-2008 by Fad]
jr

5th Mar 08 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there will be no labour, if i was working in a similar postion id be doing the same thing
Fad

5th Mar 08 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James lets be fair you dont do the sensible option ever
jr

5th Mar 08 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true mate, true
Fad

5th Mar 08 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But you can see AK and Paul J's points though?

But then again all I see in this scenario is the same poor excuses people make when they say they can't afford quicker cars so they slap loads of filler on it only to end up costing shit loads more than insuring a better car.

*holds up hands* I been there too.

[Edited on 05-03-2008 by Fad]
AK

5th Mar 08 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly... been there... made the mistakes etc

FWD isnt gay either.... its what the driver does with it. RWD is deemed to be 'cool'... I for one know that I can drive a FWD or 4wd car quicker on track.... and I'm not a RWD virgin.

Like all the folk that say a skyline GTR drives itself because it is 4wd. Aye.... you've never driven a standard one then

An old shell is going to cost a bit to buy..... if its in good condition. If it isnt it'll cost a bit to sort out.

Maybe a focus shell? Plenty of decent kit out there for them, and they are new enough to be fairly rust free. RWD that if you have too.

Either way this CAN NOT be a cheap track car unless you build it in your shed from weld and scrap steel.

If your getting a lot from your work for free good on you.... go with what they give you. If it is a demo car, ask them what they want to show case, and get them to pay for it

You must have an idea of what car/shell you want to start with
jr

5th Mar 08 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adam, the FWD gay bit was in refrence to allmost all of SVM's replies, not actully what i think
jr

5th Mar 08 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rob, theres a fullg caged (to timeattack and EDS spec) R32GTR shell for sale, buy that £800
AK

5th Mar 08 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where?
jr

5th Mar 08 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in virtully everything he writes, i thought fad and robin may pick up on it

i wouldnt be throwing £££ and the corsa, if i didnt belive that it culd be quicker than a similar speced E30 etc
Robin
Premium Member

5th Mar 08 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fad, do you know how much Mark has spent? It'll be FAR less than you think.

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
I dont care how cheap he "says" he is getting the bits and labour

I don't understand that Labour is FREE...

[Edited on 05-03-2008 by Robin]
jr

5th Mar 08 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about a duratec powerd puma, or Ka
ainsley_brader

5th Mar 08 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If you watch this vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fmxP5iaD0s&feature=user

[Edited on 05-03-2008 by Paul_J]

Didnt that magic tree annoy you?
Robin
Premium Member

5th Mar 08 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
FWD isnt gay either.... its what the driver does with it. RWD is deemed to be 'cool'... I for one know that I can drive a FWD or 4wd car quicker on track.... and I'm not a RWD virgin.

An old shell is going to cost a bit to buy..... if its in good condition. If it isnt it'll cost a bit to sort out.

Maybe a focus shell? Plenty of decent kit out there for them, and they are new enough to be fairly rust free. RWD that if you have too.

Either way this CAN NOT be a cheap track car unless you build it in your shed from weld and scrap steel.

If your getting a lot from your work for free good on you.... go with what they give you. If it is a demo car, ask them what they want to show case, and get them to pay for it

You must have an idea of what car/shell you want to start with

Are you missing the point completely?

It's not a demo car, but seeing as I work for JAMsport, a track car which belongs to me will have JAMsport stickers on it, like Jamie's, Mark's and Paul's, who also work for JAMsport.

I won't be getting anything paid for for me, it'll all be coming out of my pocket, but remember that working for a company like this means certain perks.

They're not offering to build me a car, I want to build a car and it makes sense to show off the bits we can sell, so JAMsport make more money from people who see the car.

I'm not looking for a cheap track car, I'm looking for a car which doesn't cost me shitloads to buy in standard form. There's no point in me waiting months to buy a £5000 car, to pull it apart and replace EVERYTHING, is there? I might as well buy a cheaper car and spend the same money on the aftermarket stuff for it, giving the same net result.

I'm not going to go for stupid power, I'm talking about 250bhp in a lightweight car, something which I can have some fun with. I don't want a FWD car, because the Duratec engine (which I want to use for the reasons mentioned above) would be better driving the rear wheels, than the front. Not only that, it's easier to get an alien engine into a RWD car than it is into a FWD one, there tends to be more space.

I could quite easily go out and get a 205, strip it, cage it and whatever, but I'd end up spending the same money on it as I would on something else, so I'd rather start out with the drive format I'd prefer to have from the outset. Also, Paul's car is a 205, there doesn't need to be another one on our show stands...

I do have an idea of the car I want to use, it's been mentioned in this thread.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Mar 08 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
But you can see AK and Paul J's points though?

But then again all I see in this scenario is the same poor excuses people make when they say they can't afford quicker cars so they slap loads of filler on it only to end up costing shit loads more than insuring a better car.

*holds up hands* I been there too.

That's exactly the point though.

I can't afford to spend £5k now in one go, but I can afford to spend £10k in the long run, over a longer period.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Mar 08 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
it would have dont alot more though, if it hasnt have died with jamie at the wheel

I think alot have missed the point

Robin now has access to alot of tools, time, ramps, knowledge and discount/free stuff, he is goning to want to build something using all these, and not just buy a standard 106 rallye etc, no matter how sensible this may be

Fuck me, someone gets it
Fad

5th Mar 08 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Fad, do you know how much Mark has spent? It'll be FAR less than you think.

[Edited on 05-03-2008 by Robin]

We had a brief discusion and its still way to deep for my pockets no matter how good the discount on parts etc. However cheap it may be in comparison the RRP i am sure its still a bloody lot on a Corsa. (its not a dig at modding corsas before i get flamed)
Pop

5th Mar 08 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Supercharged 206's are coming out anywhere from 230-300 bhp depending on the spec.

That isn't a shameless plug about 206's, it's just another option. 306 GTi6 could be another option.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Mar 08 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If any of that soudned a bit harsh, I'm sorry, it's been a long day

I can see what you're all saying, but you seem to be missing the point somewhat.

I'm after something which is right, not something which is working sort of ok yesterday.
jr

5th Mar 08 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do i get anything free for understanding you

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » So, I'm going to build a track car 22 database queries in 0.2296999 seconds