corsasport.co.uk
 

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » XE conversion kits


New Topic

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.


Author XE conversion kits
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote


As some people may have noticed on the project forum I have a 1.2 Corsa as a project car. The plan was to fir a C16XE but have since had a change of heart and decided on a C20XE because I miss my old Astra GSi.

I was wondering where the cheapest place was to source the mounting adaptors?
My mate and I discussed it and decided against buying the full kits with all the shafts etc.
We'll get the mounting kit and tie bar adaptors and hubs then fabricate the rest ourselves.
Is it advisable to buy the ARB adaptor blocks?
adam.d
Member

Registered: 7th Nov 07
Location: hartlepool Drives: corsa LET
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need the arb blocks if you want to keep your arb's!. You only need the drivers side engine mount, about 30 ish. You can use astra gte shafts and machine some asrta hubs down to fit the corsa wheel bearing, saves buying propper shafts. I sell the ecotec pipe conversion plates or you'll need a powercap unless you can make this yourself.
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote


I'll be going for the ecotec pipe as I heard they're better than the powercap.
How much do you sell the adaptor, Do they come with gasket and bolts?

How come I only need one mount? Does the F20 mount fit the Corsa with no problems? And what about the rear mount? My corsa is the type 2 16V, I read somewhere about the 16V Corsa's not having a rubber bush fitted that the 8V did have which I need
Ste L
Member

Registered: 3rd Jul 06
Location: Manchester Drives: 106 16v Rallye
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just need a type 2 conversion kit, usually about 30-40 more than the type 1..

the corsa mount's will bolt on the gear box, but the rear need's a spacer,which will be included in the conversion kit


if you need a hand fitting ect, im not that far away

[Edited on 11-01-2008 by Ste L]
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote


Cheers Ste, I may just take you up on that offer
I think Chris Astley does the kit for around 80. Is this what I need? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250202192066&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

Other than that is it just a case of using an Ecotec pipe with conversion plate, Modifying the gear linkage and the driveshafts sorted.
What the best way of doing it? I think Autovaux do 2.0 hubs for around 28. Should I get these and get them machined to take the VW bearing?
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote


Also the XE doesn't come with an oilcooler but I want one. Any idea where I can get a 13 row kit for less than 100? Like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-GTE-GSI-2-0XE-16V-MK1-2-3-OIL-COOLER-KIT_W0QQitemZ150196619368QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10404QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118
Ste L
Member

Registered: 3rd Jul 06
Location: Manchester Drives: 106 16v Rallye
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not running a cooler on my xe when it's fitted, not needed for road use, but if you want to do a lot of track day's it will be


just buy the conversion mount's off chris,
22 spline inner cv's - mk2 cav 1600 bigblock engine - chris sell's them too
and use corsa 22 spline gsi drive shafts

[Edited on 11-01-2008 by Ste L]
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you still get the Mk2 inner joints from Vauxhall? I get trade discount you see
I have a set of Corsa GSi shafts, Are they upto the job? I did hear they are weaker than 2.0 shafts.

[Edited on 11-01-2008 by Terry12]
adam.d
Member

Registered: 7th Nov 07
Location: hartlepool Drives: corsa LET
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ecotec adapter plates I sell fit over the existing studs on the throttle body so you just need 4 nuts. No I don't supply gaskets either but can't imagine they will be expensive. I also make engine mounts and have a bodywork mount here that you would need for your conversion. I've put some pics on if you want any more info send me a u2u.






Ste L
Member

Registered: 3rd Jul 06
Location: Manchester Drives: 106 16v Rallye
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Terry12
Can you still get the Mk2 inner joints from Vauxhall? I get trade discount you see
I have a set of Corsa GSi shafts, Are they upto the job? I did hear they are weaker than 2.0 shafts.

[Edited on 11-01-2008 by Terry12]


well if phill sutton run's then on his 400 bhp let, and it get's hard launches at the pod, etc, and ran at totb too, i think they are strong enough on a standard c20xe

[Edited on 11-01-2008 by Ste L]
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote


Well Adam i'm definitely interested in the ecotec conversion plate. Do you do all the mounts to fit into the Corsa including the rubber mount?
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste L
quote:
Originally posted by Terry12
Can you still get the Mk2 inner joints from Vauxhall? I get trade discount you see
I have a set of Corsa GSi shafts, Are they upto the job? I did hear they are weaker than 2.0 shafts.

[Edited on 11-01-2008 by Terry12]


well if phill sutton run's then on his 400 bhp let, and it get's hard launches at the pod, etc, and ran at totb too, i think they are strong enough on a standard c20xe

[Edited on 11-01-2008 by Ste L]


I was wondering if you could run equal length shafts on the Corsa or it the shaft too wide? Obviously I'd need to fit modded hubs to take the bigger outer joint. Do Corsa XE's suffer torque steer?
adam.d
Member

Registered: 7th Nov 07
Location: hartlepool Drives: corsa LET
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only make the metal mounts + eco plates mate, can't supply the rubber mounts but there readily available. I would advise filling the rubber mounts up with silicone to stiffen them up.
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote


Are the rubber mounts a GM part or after market? Any chance you could u2u me a price for the mounts and eco adaptor? Also do you make the gearbox mount spacer?
adam.d
Member

Registered: 7th Nov 07
Location: hartlepool Drives: corsa LET
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rubber mount I think is standard corsa item, or may be calibra not 100% but someone on here will no for defo. Gearbox spacer I just use washers! works every time. And you have u2u.
Ste L
Member

Registered: 3rd Jul 06
Location: Manchester Drives: 106 16v Rallye
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chris astley 16v chassis mount take a nova rubber iirc


and yes, they equal lengh setup can be used, may need slighly shortening, may not, just depend's on the tollerance's on the car.. it's usually the short shaft thats slightly too long, only a few mm
phil_sutton
Member

Registered: 8th Sep 07
Location: Nottingham
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste L
im not running a cooler on my xe when it's fitted, not needed for road use, but if you want to do a lot of track day's it will be


[Edited on 11-01-2008 by Ste L]


never ran one on mine either
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote


Do you have a temp gauge fitted for the oil?
Ste L
Member

Registered: 3rd Jul 06
Location: Manchester Drives: 106 16v Rallye
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the cooler was only really fitted for the worse case senario, i.e towing a big heavy caravan or trailer etc etc


cant see the oil getting too hot, just from road use

[Edited on 11-01-2008 by Ste L]
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote


Yeah I suppose I can just fit a gauge and monitor things, Could always fit a cooler afterwards if needed. I'm guessing my engine will still have the sandwich plate still on for the cooler pipes though. Can things just be removed?
luke85
Member

Registered: 26th Nov 07
Location: Chesterfield
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adam.d
rubber mount I think is standard corsa item, or may be calibra not 100% but someone on here will no for defo. Gearbox spacer I just use washers! works every time. And you have u2u.


The engine mount used for that kit is from a nova



quote:
Originally posted by Terry12

Do you have a temp gauge fitted for the oil?


I have an oil temp gauge on my corsa LET, Its running 290BHP at the last rolling road visit and I dont have an oil cooler. The oil temp has never gone above 100 degreees while Ive had it and even thin 5W40 is good up to 125 degrees

Also I didnt think you used the spacer if you were Using the F20 gearbox?
luke85
Member

Registered: 26th Nov 07
Location: Chesterfield
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Terry12

Yeah I suppose I can just fit a gauge and monitor things, Could always fit a cooler afterwards if needed. I'm guessing my engine will still have the sandwich plate still on for the cooler pipes though. Can things just be removed?


You can unscrew the threads for the oil filter out of the pump and take the sandwich plate off, then you just need a shorter threaded part from an engine with no sandwich plate on it
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luke85
quote:
Originally posted by adam.d
rubber mount I think is standard corsa item, or may be calibra not 100% but someone on here will no for defo. Gearbox spacer I just use washers! works every time. And you have u2u.


The engine mount used for that kit is from a nova



quote:
Originally posted by Terry12

Do you have a temp gauge fitted for the oil?


I have an oil temp gauge on my corsa LET, Its running 290BHP at the last rolling road visit and I dont have an oil cooler. The oil temp has never gone above 100 degreees while Ive had it and even thin 5W40 is good up to 125 degrees

Also I didnt think you used the spacer if you were Using the F20 gearbox?



I've read somewhere that the rubber is a Calibra item
Apparently it's hit and miss if you need to space the rear mount, All down to Vauxhall engineering tolerances. Also heard spacing it makes for a better gear change though.
Ste L
Member

Registered: 3rd Jul 06
Location: Manchester Drives: 106 16v Rallye
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luke85

Also I didnt think you used the spacer if you were Using the F20 gearbox?


rear mount need's a spacer on any big block box, otherwise it was sit straight
Terry12
Member

Registered: 24th Sep 07
Location: Manchester
User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luke85
quote:
Originally posted by Terry12

Yeah I suppose I can just fit a gauge and monitor things, Could always fit a cooler afterwards if needed. I'm guessing my engine will still have the sandwich plate still on for the cooler pipes though. Can things just be removed?


You can unscrew the threads for the oil filter out of the pump and take the sandwich plate off, then you just need a shorter threaded part from an engine with no sandwich plate on it


Should be cheap from Vauxhall i'd imagine.

  <<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » XE conversion kits 22 database queries in 0.0256221 seconds