corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car cutting out, juddering, loss of power....Need a help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car cutting out, juddering, loss of power....Need a help!
Dom

User status: Offline
   17th Nov 07 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I apologise first as this is going to be a bit of an essay, but need a clue as to what it can be before the car gets taken into Vauxhalls on Monday (as I know they are bound to rip me a new arse whilst telling me that it's because my CV boots are split )

Had a problem with the car for the last year or so with the car (once a month or so) loosing power when pulling off from the round about. But after that it would drive perfectly well - no juddering etc.

About 3 weeks ago I serviced the car and it was fine, until a week ago when I pulled into tescos for five minutes and came back to the car not wanting to start - was trying to turn over but just didn't want to fire. Left the car for a few more minutes and tried again, it fired up. Thought it was a bit odd but I put it down to maybe a bit of dodgy fuel. Never thought anymore of it and continued to use the car, as it drove perfectly (no weird noises, loss of power etc).

A few days later I pulled up to the local shell garage, filled the car, went in, paid, came back out and the car wouldn't start. After about five minutes I rang the rac to come out and sort it. Whilst on the phone (maybe 4 minutes or so) the car started. Told the operator not to worry and drove to work as normal with the car performing just as it did before hand.

This continued to happen and on Wednesday I had enough and just got the RAC to come out and have a look - whilst stuck in a Maplin's car park
He turned up after 30 minutes, turned the key and it fired up. At which point he told me he hasn't got the faintest idea what it could be, especially as the engine management light was on. After trying to get his computer to connect to the car (which failed) he left and just told me that it could be the coolant or camshaft sensor on it's way out but thought it was odd that it wasn't registering as a fault.

On Thursday it decided to cut out whilst travelling up the slip road off the A10. Before leaving the A10 I felt a little judder, realised it wasn't good news and got off the A10, braking up the slip road whilst change down, put it into 2nd, went to pull off and it completely died. Managed to pull over just off the roundabout with no power steering etc and tried to start it, nothing. As usual, after about 5-10 minutes it fired up. I drove off and the car seemed to drive perfectly well, travelled the mile or so to work. Got back to the car about 6 hours later was fine whilst driving the 45 miles home.

Now tonight the cars done the same - first I felt it judder a little (revs dropped a tad and then picked up) then a mile or so later the engine management light flashed on for a few seconds and then flickered off, and whilst braking for a roundabout the engine tried to cut out - luckily I managed to apply a load of revs and keep the engine going.
Whilst nursing it home, it cut out three more times, each time the car would give a little judder or so a few miles before it completely cut out. Usually this was when the revs where low (clutch in and braking for roundabouts etc). Hazards went on and the car wouldn't start for 5-10 minutes.

Now the cars booked into Vauxhalls for Monday morning and getting put on the diag. machine. But i'm worried that it won't get picked up, as nothing seems to be registering (usually the engine management light comes up if there is a fault with a sensor etc). And if it doesn't, then Vauxhalls are going to have to try and replicate the situation. At which point, I can see the final bill being the same price as the cars worth

So has anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Like I say, the cars had a full service and it was running perfectly well for a few weeks afterwards.

Cheers all,
Dom

p.s - the cars a T reg (1999) Corsa B 1.2 16v (X12XE i believe).
eazy187

17th Nov 07 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i knew it was going to be the X12XE just by the title
mine is starting to do this, car cutting out when your pulling out isnt fun
used to have to warm up for a few mins or it would bog down, new AFM sorted that
recently started again, another AFM has stopped the need for warm up but now is very similar to what you describe
Dom

17th Nov 07 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so replace the AFM "might" solve it but chances are it isn't that?

thing is though, i would assume that if a sensor was failing then it would register a fault, which it doesn't seem to be doing
eazy187

17th Nov 07 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it only came up as a fault when you put the engine under load ie. a hill or about 60mph
light never came on in the mornings
Dom

18th Nov 07 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump...anyone got any ideas?
Richardhhha

18th Nov 07 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the AFM is very common on the 1.2 try going down a scrappers and picking one up should only be a couple of quid from there and see wether this helps
Dom

19th Nov 07 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

found out it was the crank sensor - £120 + Vat + £50 diagnostics, the robbing bastards

cheers for the help though guys
Miles_SXi

20th Nov 07 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea... I had the exact same problem! Quite funny actually.... Used to Stall in the middle of massive roads & I'll just sit there for a bit lol & then start up and pull away again.. Interesting seeing peoples reactions.

One problem I still have now though however is that loss of power on pulling away... 1st gear, sometimes just dies before carrying on so I just quickly whack it into 2nd.

You still get that?
pow
Premium Member

20th Nov 07 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

THAT is AFM, what Dom described first off isnt.

New Poll