corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » External HDD Vs NAS

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author External HDD Vs NAS
Doug

User status: Offline
9th Nov 07 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick question....

I currently have a 500GB Western Digital extenal HDD running through USB 2.0 to my laptop.

I am looking at this one:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131442

Now I have a couple questions:

1- Can I plug that into my laptop via USB still?
2- Are the transfer speeds the same over ethernet and USB 2.0? (i.e. writing a file from my laptop to the drive, will it take the same amount of time over USB and Ethernet?)

Can you sum up the operational differences between what I have posted and something like this:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129813

What can I do with that second one that I cant do with the first one?

[Edited on 09-11-2007 by Doug]
Rob_Quads

9th Nov 07 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It has no USB so no you could not. If your laptop has a network port you could connect it using that, if its a Gigabit port it will be nice and fast.
Dan Lewis

9th Nov 07 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personal use? you will notice massive difference between the 2, i would go NAS if you have the money
Doug

10th Nov 07 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are both NAS ??

yes its for personal use, I don't know if I have a gigabit port, I just have an ethernet port which I believe is 10/100?

In regards to the speed question I meant the scenario as the NAS in another room connected to the router and my computer wired to the router. Would the speeds still be good over normal ethernet cable?
drunkenfool

10th Nov 07 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

USB 2 is 400mbps, ethernet is 100mbps. In reality though you wouldnt notice _that_ much difference unless transferring a huge amount of data, you should get 10mB/s transferspeed over ethernet.
Doug

10th Nov 07 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mistake, The second link I provided should have been this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126886

I was wondering what all the active directory bits were? Any good resources on the web for learning about those bits?
Doug

11th Nov 07 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone?
Tim
Site Administrator

11th Nov 07 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most my team use Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ at home (I just have a separate server PC so that provides NAS for me).

If you have a gigabit network card then I'd recommend a NAS with RAID5 -- you'll get better performance than a single disk, plus you can lose one without losing any data.

Active Directory features means it will integrate with Windows domain authentication. Unless you're running AD there's really no need, but most NAS will have this anyway.
Dom

11th Nov 07 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest, there all pretty much like for like - some have the options of usb so you connect them straight to computer which can be useful.
The mybook and the buffalo support raid 1, which means you halve the storage but it creates a mirror copy, useful if one of the drives fail. The buffalo also offers other raid options like split array etc

As for the active directory, it just means that you can use it on a network where you have MS Server running and have a AD domain setup, which is unlikely in a home enviroment.

easiest thing would be to look for reviews, im sure there are plenty about for most well known nas boxes (ie: mybooks and baffalo nas's).

New Poll