corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Money Day: Credit Card Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Money Day: Credit Card Question
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Oct 07 at 11:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I buy alot of things for work out of my own pocket and then get paid back in cheques later on in the day/week etc.

Someone has suggested that I get a credit card and use that to buy things, then when I get the cheques back pay the cheques into the credit card account.

I have a cheque within a week normally, so they will be cleared within 12 days say.

Will I get stung by credit card charges (% on purchases?) or not? Like when the "honeymoon period" runs out?

Cheers
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th Oct 07 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

credit cards work like this.

You run up a bill in 30 days, a statement is issued then you have x amount of days (normally another 30 days?...) to pay it back. Within that x amount of days you must pay back either the min amount or more.

Every month I get my statement, I pay it off immediately.

Its good to use on purchases you KNOW you can pay off because it helps you build a good credit history.

Like me, I've never had a credit card until this year, I now use it for petrol (which I can always afford) and my travel expenses which get refunded back to me through work.

[Edited on 10-10-2007 by willay]
Conway563

10th Oct 07 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're going to be doing it the way willay does then it would be a good idea to have a look at a cashback credit card. You don't get any 0% offers but if you're paying it all off it doesn't really matter.
Capital One are doing 4% cashack for the first 3 months
John

10th Oct 07 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you haven't had a card before I wouldn't apply for the Capital one card as they are very harsh and will most likely reject it.
willay
Premium Member

10th Oct 07 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

talk to me about this cash back thing, what is it exactly? should I be using one?
John

10th Oct 07 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you pay off every month in full then yes.
You quite simply earn cashback on purchases.
Think the capital one card is 4% for the 1st 3 months then 1% after that, egg money is a flat 1%.

It's not loads of money but its certainly better than none.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com
pow
Premium Member

10th Oct 07 at 13:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what I thought, start building a credi history, plus have an emergency card for uni next year.

I need to make sure im not paying the % extra on purchases though, like in 6 months time when the offer runs out, I dont have to pay 6% on every purchase, even though im cashing in cheques 10 days after ive paid for it
John

10th Oct 07 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any card you get just set a DD up to pay off every month in full.

Never have the interest problem.
willay
Premium Member

10th Oct 07 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

applying to capital one
pow
Premium Member

10th Oct 07 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gunna go see my friend in Nationwide
Andrew

10th Oct 07 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got some credit card cheques where i don't pay any intrest for 9 months per cheque. It's per cheque, so 9 months intrest free on each cheque. My 6 months intrest free on the card has expired but i bank with Lloyds TSB and really happy with the service they provide so cba changing.

I use the credit card when i'm short per month. Then pay it off when i get paid. Things like getting stung by a bill unexpected. That way i don't pay overdraft fees or intrest on the credit card. It really is about managing finances to your best imo.
pow
Premium Member

11th Oct 07 at 07:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So as long as its paid off in time, I wont have to pay any interest?

Dad said to me last night, keep all of the cheques that work "reimburse" me with, then take themm all in with the bill
ssj_kakarot

11th Oct 07 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If you haven't had a card before I wouldn't apply for the Capital one card as they are very harsh and will most likely reject it.

i got one off them when i was a student and it was my first card, dont think there hard they just put a £500 limit on at the start.

[Edited on 11-10-2007 by ssj_kakarot]
ssj_kakarot

11th Oct 07 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why dont you just see if your bank with give you a intrest free overdraft?
John

11th Oct 07 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you get that specific card?

They will give you otehr cards no problem but not that specific one, my information is from MSE.

Cashback is better than an interest free overdraft
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Oct 07 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never had a credit card before, a loan, or anything - yet noone at all will touch me.

Halifax (my own bank) said my credit rating sucks too much.

Only thing i've had go against me are stupid instances of being overdrawn by £2 and getting stung by a bank charge.

Its pissing me off, as apparently - the more I apply and get rejected, the worse my rating gets

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jambo

11th Oct 07 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

EH?! They are famous in this country for doing card that people with low credit history can get....

I got my capital one card when i was 18 and i had poooooooor credit.

Reccomend them tbh good customer service. Intrest is high though
John

11th Oct 07 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you have the particular money back card we are talking about at the moment, again, go and read all about it on MSE.
dannymccann

17th Oct 07 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im interested in these cahs back cards. im a 2nd year student and have had my student CC for nearly a year and use it as much as i can, paying full balance by DD at the end of every month. few months ago i tried to apply for a cashback card (from egg i think) and they rejected it, obviously leaving some sort of black mark on my record somewhere. just wondering whether it would be stupid to try and apply for the capital one card in my situation?
Bram

17th Oct 07 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just finished the first month of my first card with capital one.

Its a special card to improve your credit rating, use your card and pay off your bill in your first 4 statements and they'll up your credit limit straight away!

Going to do this then look at a cashback card
pow
Premium Member

17th Oct 07 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Waiting for my Nationwide one to arrive

New Poll