corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa B 1.0 Build Up X16XE - Coilovers fitted and Billing pics

New Poll
  <<  60    61    62    63    64    65    66  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B 1.0 Build Up X16XE - Coilovers fitted and Billing pics
shaunmods
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Jun 10 at 15:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers everyone

Adam, its under acceleration and and on start up mate. When just driving 'normally' its fine. When I took the car for its first mot after the conversion we noticed that we had overfilled it with oil. So we drained a load of it out so that it was half way on the tip stick. Ive checked the oil again now its been standing and its still at half way. To be honest it has improved a bit since monday when it was really bad. Its still quite bad on start up not not as bad when driving. It still stinks though!

Me and my dad have been talking about what to do. We think that a complete new engine is going to be the easiest and best option for us. I can see that my dad has had enough of the car now after working on it for every weekend for 6 months. I don't think its fair to ask him to give up even more of his time to rebuild my current engine. I haven't got the knowledge to do it myself so we are thinking about buying a new x16xe lump which has a warranty on it incase anything goes wrong and do pretty much what I've done to this one. New head gasket set, cambelt, waterpump, damn good clean up etc and then swap it over in a weekend and hope for the best.

It still drives fine though so I can get to work. Having to walk to college though because it wont go over the mountain style speedbumps they've made oops. Just hunting for a good x16xe lump now

As for my choice of drying equipment.... I had a go with thegsi's drying towel at pvs and I want one! So much easier!
AlexW

16th Jun 10 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not what i would chose but i can understand.

Even with a warranty it could go pear shaped in 2months, or 6months.
skankaman

16th Jun 10 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods

Having to walk to college though because it wont go over the mountain style speedbumps they've made oops.

They rele are stupidly oversized i jus mount the curb on the 1st set and then go for the sideways approach on the second lot. Gutted for you about the engine though m8 was lookin forward too seein it out and about. Keep up the good work though
Crana

16th Jun 10 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my x16xe done the same mate the rings went it's kick in the balls, I feel your pain
shaunmods
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by skankaman
quote:

Having to walk to college though because it wont go over the mountain style speedbumps they've made oops.

They rele are stupidly oversized i jus mount the curb on the 1st set and then go for the sideways approach on the second lot. Gutted for you about the engine though m8 was lookin forward too seein it out and about. Keep up the good work though

They're ridiculous arent they! My 106 used to scrape going over them with people in the back. I got told off going on the pavement like everyone else does so I stopped doing that. The corsa had no chance. I tried going over them sideways but the cat was just getting stuck on the bump
garyrsts2

16th Jun 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check the compression in the cylinders and you will soon find out if you need rings lad
AlexW

16th Jun 10 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is a good point, check the compression, then poor about a teaspoon of oil into the bores and check it again.

Just so your certain!
garyrsts2

16th Jun 10 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brains come from northern ireland boys a wee compression tester isnt hard to use lad and another way to notice if you dont have a tester is take all the plugs out and turn it over youl notice tha a good set of rings blow out alot of air, a bad set wont but best get a compression test.
Jamie-C

16th Jun 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by garyrsts2
brains come from northern ireland boys

Too true
AlexW

16th Jun 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah yeah
NovalutionGSi

17th Jun 10 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Cheers everyone

Adam, its under acceleration and and on start up mate. When just driving 'normally' its fine. When I took the car for its first mot after the conversion we noticed that we had overfilled it with oil. So we drained a load of it out so that it was half way on the tip stick. Ive checked the oil again now its been standing and its still at half way. To be honest it has improved a bit since monday when it was really bad. Its still quite bad on start up not not as bad when driving. It still stinks though!

Me and my dad have been talking about what to do. We think that a complete new engine is going to be the easiest and best option for us. I can see that my dad has had enough of the car now after working on it for every weekend for 6 months. I don't think its fair to ask him to give up even more of his time to rebuild my current engine. I haven't got the knowledge to do it myself so we are thinking about buying a new x16xe lump which has a warranty on it incase anything goes wrong and do pretty much what I've done to this one. New head gasket set, cambelt, waterpump, damn good clean up etc and then swap it over in a weekend and hope for the best.

It still drives fine though so I can get to work. Having to walk to college though because it wont go over the mountain style speedbumps they've made oops. Just hunting for a good x16xe lump now

As for my choice of drying equipment.... I had a go with thegsi's drying towel at pvs and I want one! So much easier!

I would say mate that it is fine, it will stink while its burning off the rest of the exsess oil, once thats gone it should be ok, mine was exactly the same, i only "topped" it up due to a leaking sump plug, since then i've changed the sump, filled the oil correctly and its not been a problem since, but i would go with a quick compression test (i'm sure your dad has one!) then decide.
I personally wouldnt go brand new, that i expect to be hellishly expensive. when the crank went on the original lump in mine i picked one up with 50k on the clock with every thing on there for £200-250 delivered. then if you've saved money there, you could go with hydrulics/air shocks to get you over those speed bumps!

oh and the drying towels dont scratch your paintwork like a shammy would as it has a slight pile to it so any dirt that may have been missed is "lost" in the pile.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 15:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leak down test is your answer
shaunmods
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got back from taking it for a good drive and to get some petrol and its seems better again. Today there was no smoke on start up This time it was just under hard acceleration when pulling away from roundabouts fast and booting it etc. As you guys have suggested we are going to do a compression test at the weekend to see what that shows. Fingers crossed!

Steve, what's a leak down test bud?

[Edited on 17-06-2010 by shaunmods]
Matt L

17th Jun 10 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hope its nothing bad once its all sorted, you'll have to speak to job (jibjob) about organising a photoshoot (he wanted one with you + andy?) and then ill do one of just your car if you wanted.
NovalutionGSi

17th Jun 10 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ready does sound exactly as mine bud. do the test and i'd say it will give you good compression on all 4, its most probably the excess oil from over filling it just working its way out.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 23:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A leak down or "cylinder leakage" test is similar to a compression test in that it tells you how well your engine's cylinders are sealing. But instead of measuring pressure, it measures pressure loss.

A leak down test requires the removal of all the spark plugs. The crankshaft is then turned so that each piston is at top dead center (both valves closed) when each cylinder is tested. Most people start with cylinder number one and follow the engine's firing order.

A threaded coupling attached to a leakage gauge is screwed into a spark plug hole. Compressed air (80 to 90 psi) is then fed into the cylinder.

An engine in great condition should generally show only 5 to 10% leakage. An engine that's still in pretty good condition may show up to 20% leakage. But more than 30% leakage indicates trouble.

The neat thing about a leakage test (as opposed to a compression test) is that it's faster and easier to figure out where the pressure is going. If you hear air coming out of the tailpipe, it indicates a leaky exhaust valve. Air coming out of the throttle body or carburetor would point to a leaky intake valve. Air coming out of the breather vent or PCV valve fitting would tell you the rings and/or cylinders are worn.

A leakage test can also be used in conjunction with a compression test to diagnose other kinds of problems.

A cylinder that has poor compression, but minimal leakage, usually has a valvetrain problem such as a worn cam lobe, broken valve spring, collapsed lifter, bent push rod, etc.

If all the cylinders have low compression, but show minimal leakage, the most likely cause is incorrect valve timing. The timing belt or chain may be off a notch or two.

If compression is good and leakage is minimal, but a cylinder is misfiring or shows up weak in a power balance test, it indicates a fuel delivery (bad injector) or ignition problem (fouled spark plug or bad plug wire).
shaunmods
Premium Member

20th Jun 10 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Compression results are in guys:

Cylinder 1 - 60PSI on single stroke, then rising up to 100PSI
Cylinder 2 - 70PSI on single stroke, then rising up to 100PSI
Cylinder 3 - 70PSI on single stroke then rising up to 100PSI
Cylinder 4 - 75PSI on single stroke then rising up to 115PSI

Which according to the Haynes manual means the piston rings have gone. Everytime we moved the compression tester from one cylinder to another the thread was covered on oil so I can see why its smoking like a bitch

Anyone got a good X16XE lump for sale then?

[Edited on 21-06-2010 by shaunmods]
Corsa_Scotty

20th Jun 10 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Such a shame youve needed to get a new engine mate. The current one looks spot on!
AlexW

20th Jun 10 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id still repair yours, Your have a good engine at the end, be mint.
MarkSport

20th Jun 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id do the same tbh, just change the rings in yours mate
Ollie_B

20th Jun 10 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can change the rings with the block in the car mate, it really isn't hard...
Dale

20th Jun 10 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shaun at least strip yours down, if the block/bores are fine just fit rings to it..... be loads cheaper and you know its a good engine......
swill_omnibus

20th Jun 10 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah just change the rings and while there a few other bits just so you know it's 100% then
Griffiths1991

21st Jun 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
Id still repair yours, Your have a good engine at the end, be mint.

This, you could buy another x16xe and the rings will go in that after a couple of months id fix the one youve got.
shaunmods
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Broke it again

I was on my way to my mates house last night and thought I'd open it up a bit. I fancied seeing how it handled since fitting my new polysport bushes so I dropped it down into second as I was coming up to a roundabout and gave it some welly. It started to spin the wheels up as I come to the exist then BANG! I pulled straight over to see what the hell happened. I first thought I'd blown the engine so I got straight out the car to look for any holes in the block. I then noticed the car was still running so that ruled that out Smoke was coming out of the bay from the gearbox side so I then thought the diff might have gone or something. I got on the phone to my dad to come and tow me home and while I was waiting I walked back down to road to see what bits had come off. I found a chunking metal O ring which I didn't have a clue what it was.

We got the car home and had a good look under it and saw that there was grease/oil all over my exhaust so we instantly thought CV, it explained the smoke anyway. A quick check with the good old Haynes manual confirmed it and showed the bit that I found in the road.

The poor car sat at the side of the road waiting to be towed home

and the offending item

So I'm back to walking around again

[Edited on 23-06-2010 by shaunmods]

[Edited on 30-06-2010 by shaunmods]

<<  60    61    62    63    64    65    66  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa B 1.0 Build Up X16XE - Coilovers fitted and Billing pics 23 database queries in 0.0298979 seconds