corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Identify XP version from product key?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Identify XP version from product key?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
11th Jul 07 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a product key on a sticker - need to know which ISO this is so it'll activate - is there a way of finding this out?

Tried with a 2002 SP2 image and it installs but doesn't activate.

I'm assuming this is legal as I have the reg
John

11th Jul 07 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it on a system?

If so most likely oem.
drax

11th Jul 07 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SP2 keys differentiate from the standard install as far as I know
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Jul 07 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah its a Toshiba laptop, completely legitimate bought new but just running slow hence the reinstall.

I'm guessing my ISO is a bit new for that code. Need it without the SPs I think.
John

11th Jul 07 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OEM discs are different from retail/corp/etc etc disc.

Where you get a toshiba oem disc I dont' know.

OEM discs normally check the bios and you don't need a key for install.

If you phoned microsoft they would probably activate it though, people seem to get copies with a key from google activated no problem.

Try phoning tosh for a windows disc.

I know with dell they aren't supposed to give them out but if you bullshit a bit and be nice you'll get one.
James_DT

12th Jul 07 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have the wrong kind of key, it'll tell you it's invalid at the install process. And non-SP keys still work with SP2 discs, I have an original non-SP copy of XP and I use an SP2 disc for reinstalling.
The key on the bottom of my Dell wouldn't activate after a reinstall (and turned out to be a different key to the one it had preinstalled, which didn't activate either), so it might be worth just ringing the number from the activation window and speaking to someone.
Brett
Premium Member

12th Jul 07 at 06:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last time I called, it was all automated and I couldn't get a free number like I had done previously

Let me know how you get on Ian, because i'm in the same boat
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jul 07 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got another ISO which I'm going to try in a bit, see what happens.
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Jul 07 at 00:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update, got the OEM ISO but it still didn't activate. Phoned the number and got a code and it worked.
Brett
Premium Member

23rd Jul 07 at 08:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Update, got the OEM ISO but it still didn't activate. Phoned the number and got a code and it worked.

Was it an automated line?
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Jul 07 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, freephone as well. The activation window gives you a big long number, you type that in in groups of six numbers, then it asks a few more questions like have you installed this on more than one computer and did you buy it OEM or retail, then it gives you the activation number.

First time around it said 'how many computers have you installed this on', so I pressed 1 on the phone, except 1 was 'more than one computer'. Needed 2 for only one computer

Got there in the end though and it didn't cost me any more because their answers were in the wrong order
Brett
Premium Member

23rd Jul 07 at 13:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, maybe I pressed 1

Might try that tonight

New Poll