corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My budget track car *** now for sale**

New Poll
  <<  23    24    25    26    27  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My budget track car *** now for sale**
SteveoBC
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Apr 14 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few days off this week so some general maintenance to be getting on with, had a delivery from the postman with the following
Oil, oil filter, fuel filter, new spark plugs, new gear linkage bushes, new brake fluid cap, both new front bearings and 2 new discs (still waiting for my mintex pads to come though)

Rate autovaux, those boys post fast and know XE corsas, so much easier to deal with than brain dead vaux parts guys

Bought a new induction hose aswell and some new connector bars for the rollcage

Spark plugs being fitted and new hose fitted

Then spent some more time under the car changing oil and filters

Then did some tidying up of loose wires, also one of the cable ties holding my fan had snapped and at some point a bit of the housing had touched a hot manifold and melted so sorted that out, then it pissed it down so called it a day

Tomorrow's jobs
-change discs and pads (so long as my pads turn up)
-change gearlinkage bushes and adjust alignment

Friday
-general wash inside and out
-repaint some of the arches black as some are peeling
-get passport renewal for nurburgring sent off

Saturday
-taking car to my local fabricator to weld some base box sections and install the rollcage at last

[Edited on 02-04-2014 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 04-04-2014 by SteveoBC]
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brake day today as my pads turned up in the post this morning, and a set of replacement discs which I have a feeling are warped
So wheels off

Caliper and carrier off

New discs and mintex race pads

Bit of copper grease and back on

So that was on side done

Moved round the other side and did the passenger side

Then removed the gear linkage again and replaced the bushes again and was trying to adjust it...but managed to over tighten the bolt on the gear stick side so spent ages re-tapping the thread and was in the middle of refit but then it pissed it down, trying to get it done tonight but can't see it getting done as it's still chucking it down,might have to finish tomorrow, in the meantime can still paint the wheel arches at the least

[Edited on 03-04-2014 by SteveoBC]
M Sutton

3rd Apr 14 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good mate jelous your going to the ring!
SteveoBC
Premium Member

4th Apr 14 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished off the last bit of work today....or so I thought

Had to go do some chores in town, send off passport renewal, dry cleaners, bank etc

Then finished of wrestling with this bastard!

Finally got the linkage working correctly and tightened up after I rounded off a bolt on pinch clamp yesterday

Then thought, brilliant, best go for a test drive, got the wheels on when to move off the drive with a nasty grinding noise, had a look inside the wheel to find this

....bollocks!

So rushed round to my sisters house and borrowed my brother in laws angle grinder and shaved a bit off the caliper and now no grinding and plenty of clearance now

Job tomorrow remove passenger seat and cart the car down to Bicester for roll cage install
SteveoBC
Premium Member

5th Apr 14 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the cage dug out of the garage today and carted the car off to the fabricators in Bicester and left it there for a while for them to get the cage bases welded in

So over the last 3 days got all my bits and pieces done, new discs and pads, all serviced, new fluids and looking in good shape for combe at the end of the month, will use that as a shake down session and then I have May to sort any niggles out before the nurburgring, all in all a very productive few days, only thing I ran out of time now was painting the arch liners black again but that can be done whenever, so in good shape
SteveoBC
Premium Member

10th Apr 14 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Roll cage is fitted!! At long last

Picked it up tonight and got some quick snaps of it when I got back home, instantly the car feels more rigid, definitely an improvement on the handling, can't wait for combe at the end of the month

djgritt
Premium Member

10th Apr 14 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it going Banana instead of White at some point?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

10th Apr 14 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
Is it going Banana instead of White at some point?

Possibly, just wanted it get it in there for the minute

Paint can be done whenever, more than likely after nurburgring

[Edited on 10-04-2014 by SteveoBC]
Col004

10th Apr 14 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good fella. Enjoy the nurburgring mate. Best place on earth
Joey 1.6 sport

11th Apr 14 at 06:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good steve when you going nurburg ?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Apr 14 at 07:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joey 1.6 sport
Looking good steve when you going nurburg ?

25th June mate with Novaneil and his buddies that usually come castle combe, come back Monday the 30th late but booked the tuesday off aswell as i will be knackered
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Apr 14 at 08:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Col004
Looking good fella. Enjoy the nurburgring mate. Best place on earth

cheers Col, cant fucking wait bit of a personal achievement for myself aswell, bought this car for £150 and saved it from the scrap pile

loads of people at work were like
"it'll never see the road, let alone the track" etc etc blah blah

So far done numerous track days, pvs shows, RWYB days, always wanted a crack at the ring, cant think of a better car to take
Col004

11th Apr 14 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well in mate. All credit
Joey 1.6 sport

12th Apr 14 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool I'm going nurburg 1st may till the5th with birchyboy of here and few other mates should be good as they all have gopro so plenty of footage ))
SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For those I don't have on facebook or didn't go, thought id show some highlights from spring action day at castle combe from this weekend

On track car behaved brilliantly, much more stiff with the roll cage but brakes worked really well, only slight complaint was the car has developed a small mis-fire/splutter at half rev when pottling along in 3rd-5th sometimes- noticed on the way to the circuit(suspect spark plugs so will change these again or check the gaps)

at full chat though, never had a problem, still a few minor tweeks and rattles to find and remove but all in all very pleased with the performance, oh and noticed on the go-pro footage there must be something rattling around in the cabin (didn't hear with the helmet on haha)

first time using my new gopro out on track, quality is spot on, battery life is rubbish but brought spares, and controlled the recording using the wifi enabled app on my phone, very easy to use
vids from sessions:
both best viewed in 720p

session 1 red flagged halfway through as a 200sx went bang, but got sent back out again- upon restart, went for a lunge on a corner that I thought I could make but timed it wrong, so kinda cut off a Volvo- bit of a dick move, I'll hold my hands up to that , and a r33 that braked waaay too early I nearly rear ended, then later on decided to park on the right side of the track, apart from that great fun and scaring the crap out of my mate Georgia who has never been on track before and tagged along for the day (listen carefully you can hear her screaming a bit haha )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AkjAVcuTTE

session 2;
went out just after a massive downpour so the track was soaked, 2nd ever wet lap in the corsa, took it steady for a bit following an 1800 fiesta, then got bored and went for a pass, only to then do a massive drift in the wet at the last corner before the pits but found my limit and gave me a chance to chase him again after he went past me lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uubQZ9YVRNw

pics from the day courtesy of djgritt

[Edited on 28-04-2014 by SteveoBC]

johnny86
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 18:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice thread mate. Don't suppose you have a pic of your dashboard to give me a few ideas
SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnny86
Nice thread mate. Don't suppose you have a pic of your dashboard to give me a few ideas

Should be able to see some on pg10 & 15 bud

Pg 8 has me building the gauge housing

johnny86
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top bloke thanks mate
carl roper

28th Apr 14 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cars a real credit to you pal, just goes to show you don't need to spend mega money to have a fun competitive car.
djgritt
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked great on the day, and was going well too from what we could see trackside!
SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Looked great on the day, and was going well too from what we could see trackside!

Thanks for the u2u reply Dave,

Cheers, yeh was pushing hard all day, this is nearly ready for nurburgring now

Pics are epic mate, really chuffed with them, probs get a couple framed I think
SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by carl roper
Cars a real credit to you pal, just goes to show you don't need to spend mega money to have a fun competitive car.

Thanks Carl, still amaze myself how far the car has come over the years, little improvements here, bit of trial and error there and use castle combe as a test bed to get faster and faster lol
djgritt
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
quote:

Thanks for the u2u reply Dave,

Cheers, yeh was pushing hard all day, this is nearly ready for nurburgring now

Pics are epic mate, really chuffed with them, probs get a couple framed I think

Glad you are happy with them - every other time I've tried to get pics of it, they've come out pants, so I'm just happy some are clear!
SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No very happy with them, not an out of focus/blurry one in sight
SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol found someone else's on an evo forum
Proper skiiidddzzz haha

Wheeee!

<<  23    24    25    26    27  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My budget track car *** now for sale** 23 database queries in 0.0302241 seconds