corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PS3 1.80 Update. Its out now!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PS3 1.80 Update. Its out now!
Rus

User status: Offline
23rd May 07 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Photos
A new slideshow effect (album2) has been added. This is rather like the table top view (where photos appear to be thrown onto the table), but in this version, the photos appear placed into a grid, so that no photo overlaps another. Not sure how useful that is, but its still ok.

Photo printing
Under settings, there is a new “printer setup” option. This allows a printer to be configured and defined how you want to print. In my case (wireless home network), it did not work over the network. It appears the printed needs to be directly connected to the PS3 via a USB (which worked), and currently, it appears to only work for Epson printers. I selected my Epson printer, configured it to print standard sized photos. When you then view a photo, a new icon is available to print the photo. Printing is fast, and the quality excellent.

Photo change
Photos can be trimmed, and reshaped. Under the photo view, you can now select an icon which allows the photo to be resized and trimmed as you see fit, with a view of what the finished photo will look like. When you save the changes, a new version of the photo is saved (with todays date), and the old version left as it was.

Connection to Home Network
On my home server, I have TVersity (a free program) loaded, and my media files already loaded. The PS3, detected this software, and now allows me to view photos, music and video from my server directly, using all the standard PS3 options for music, video and movies (such as the photo albums described above, or music visuals). This feature alone makes it an A+++ release for me. The integration with the server is near perfect, allowing me to view music/photos/video by date, source (artists etc), directory, etc. My server appears just as if it was directly connected to the PS3 – my server is running Windows Server 2003 by the way, but have tried this with XP and Vista as well. Spot on Sony.

HDMI settingsTo support the new upscaling, two new HDMI settings have been added to the display settings. RGB now has an option for standard (as per now) limited colour range, and unlimited colours. Changing this to unlimited makes the games a lot sharper and clearer, and viewing start Wars III looked very, very good indeed. Also, a new ‘super white’ option is available (if your HD-Tv support this). Setting this on effectively ups the white tonal range, making whites look more clean (and the whole picture again generally improves).

[Edited on 24-05-2007 by Rus]
Steve
Premium Member

23rd May 07 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

upscaled dvd's wont look as good as hd dvds, theres a bit of over exageration gone into that statement
Rus

23rd May 07 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never said it will look as good as hd. just improved
andy1868

23rd May 07 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

woop woop
dave17

23rd May 07 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My V+ box upscales to HD, looks very impressive on some programmes. Can only think DVDs will look better.
Rus

24th May 07 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

couldn't get it to connect to my pc this morning will try when i get home.

the dvd upscaling is a HUGE improvment! really impressed with how the matrix looked before hand then after. Of course not as good as blu-ray but still much better.

same thing for ps2 games. its much sharper than before. but unless you put it in fullscreen, it goes box shape regardless of widescreen being on. may have to have a play with the resolutions
ssj_kakarot

24th May 07 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dave17
My V+ box upscales to HD, looks very impressive on some programmes. Can only think DVDs will look better.

Mer some of te channels on the v+ look very nice, ABC 1 ect look great.

Other channels on the other hand look pants.
Richie

24th May 07 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought an upscaling DVD player when I bought the parents 50" LG Plasma, difference is amazing
liveseytowers

25th May 07 at 07:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rus

Connection to Home Network
On my home server, I have TVersity (a free program) loaded, and my media files already loaded. The PS3, detected this software, and now allows me to view photos, music and video from my server directly, using all the standard PS3 options for music, video and movies (such as the photo albums described above, or music visuals). This feature alone makes it an A+++ release for me. The integration with the server is near perfect, allowing me to view music/photos/video by date, source (artists etc), directory, etc. My server appears just as if it was directly connected to the PS3 – my server is running Windows Server 2003 by the way, but have tried this with XP and Vista as well. Spot on Sony.
[Edited on 24-05-2007 by Rus]

I like the sound of this, I always used to say the 360 always had the edge on the PS3 because its a media centre extender and I can watch all my divx downloads on the TV thourgh the 360. The PS3 seems to be getting better all the time.

Does it stream divx OK? I'm guessing that it plays on the PC and creates an RDP session and just displays the screen (ie the film) on the TV?
Rus

25th May 07 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

divx/avi doesn't work. well, i haven't got it to work yet.

converting avi files into mpeg-4 (avc), windows media player doesn't reconize it because its a codec. one problem after another. But all my music and pictures are there
liveseytowers

25th May 07 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rus

converting avi files into mpeg-4 (avc), windows media player doesn't reconize it because its a codec. one problem after another. But all my music and pictures are there

It was the same on the 360 but someone made a media centre plugin that converts the avi's on the fly to mpeg and it works fine now, i recon in time the PS3 will be pass the 360 for functionality.
ssj_kakarot

25th May 07 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liveseytowers
quote:
Originally posted by Rus

It was the same on the 360 but someone made a media centre plugin that converts the avi's on the fly to mpeg and it works fine now, i recon in time the PS3 will be pass the 360 for functionality.

it depends which system gets hacked the first and allows homebrew and what they can do with it tbh.

i.e xbox media centre on the origional xbox, that still pretty much outdoes every new console for capabilities.
Rus

25th May 07 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

someone made a media centre plugin that converts the avi's on the fly to mpeg

my brother mentioned something like that. didn't really know what he was on about at the time. i'll poke him about it as i want to watch films i downloaded on my tv
liveseytowers

25th May 07 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rus

it depends which system gets hacked the first and allows homebrew and what they can do with it tbh.

i.e xbox media centre on the origional xbox, that still pretty much outdoes every new console for capabilities.

That is true, i've not got homebrew but my mate at work bought a xbox just for it and he watches premiership football on it streamed over the web

I've no room for a big ass xbox under my LCD though, they look shite lol
John

25th May 07 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ps3 doesn't need hacked for homebrew
ssj_kakarot

25th May 07 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
The ps3 doesn't need hacked for homebrew

yes but its limited, not like you can load emulators on straight away, people still need to make the stuff, get it running ect.

New Poll