corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bank Charges...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bank Charges...
K2 GTi

User status: Offline
16th Feb 07 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive already opened a new bank account, well applied, and once I get that everything will go into that one. I'm telling them i'm not paying it, and simply if i'm made to then im going to be claiming it back anyway.

Doubt I'll get away with them reversing the charges tomorrow though.
Steve
Premium Member

16th Feb 07 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not, they are illegal?
Ally

16th Feb 07 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your Address

Banks Address

30/01/07

Dear Sir/Madam

Penalty & unfair charges – request for refund for Account - xxxxxxx SC – xxxxxx

0n 5 April 2006 the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) announced that default charges which are set at more than £12 will be presumed to be unfair and unenforceable in terms of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). Charges above this sum will be subject to legal action by the OFT (press release 68/06 – online here: http://www.oft.gov.uk/News/Press+releases/2006/68-06.htm).

The OFT stated that a charge is not fair simply because it is below this sum, and I believe that a reasonable charge would be 50 pence for the reasons set out below. Please refund my charges as a matter of urgency.

I would respectfully submit that if your organisation does not agree to immediately refund all unfair charges applied to my account, it will not meet the ‘fit and proper person’ test to hold a consumer credit licence under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. In that eventuality, I will submit a 1974 Act complaint to the OFT.

Separately, I am of the view that your charges represent a penalty and are therefore irrecoverable at common law. In the Scottish case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract. This is also the position in English law: Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79.

Your charges do not reflect any actual loss, instead they appear to represent a lucrative profit-making scheme. In particular, charges were applied after I entered into a transaction(s) without sufficient funds in my account. However, payment was declined by you, and therefore, actual loss is the cost of automatically sending me a computer generated letter. I would respectfully submit that is valued at no more than 50 pence.

UK banks have recently given evidence to the House of Commons Treasury Committee on how bank charges are calculated: "The costs are going to pay for all the people we have who pursue debt, collect debt, speak to customers and chase payments. The way these charges are arrived at is by taking these total costs and making some assumptions about the volume that is going to come through to arrive at the individual charges" (2nd report, 25 January 2005, paragraph 50 – online here: http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200405/cmselect/cmtreasy/274/27405.htm).

Accordingly, the charges applied to my account are not a reasonable pre-estimate of the bank’s loss in relation to my account. No-one has had to look at my account or telephone me. No one has had to collect anything. Your charges would appear to represent a device to recover global losses (for example, loan defaulters, bad debt write off, including commercial lending in, and outwith, the UK).

Please refund all charges applied to my account within the next 7 days. I reserve the right to commence court proceedings without any further notice, and to seek an additional award for distress and inconvenience, together with legal expenses.

Yours faithfully

Your name
Dean_W

16th Feb 07 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
just refuse to pay it?

You can't. they'll tak eit anyway. Banks have you by the balls in that sense.
Steve
Premium Member

16th Feb 07 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i know but k2gti is saying they are asking for payment
Half Pint

16th Feb 07 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if every body keeps vthis up then we are going to end up having to pay the bank for out accounts like you do in europe.

if you fred the t's & c's they you'll see theat the cost is justified...
K2 GTi

16th Feb 07 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant send the letter untill I've paid the charges, right? So pissed off though, because If I get charged and have to pay on the 1st, I won't have enough in my account to cover my DD's that will come out the same day, so it'll just be one big circle.
Half Pint

16th Feb 07 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest i've never been charged, maybe i know how to manage my finances
K2 GTi

16th Feb 07 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, wouldI be able to send that letter to Natwest? I closed my account with them after paying back £200 charges, but will they credit it me back to a closed account? Or send cheque?
Jay

17th Feb 07 at 01:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ally

Ta
mav

17th Feb 07 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint

if you reda the t's & c's they you'll see theat the cost is justified...

What they are justified to charge ypu £30 for going 10p over your limit?
Ally

17th Feb 07 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mav i think they are justified to charge £5, not £35

I know blah blah look after your money buy fck it, high charge, legal loop hole, then yes i am going to piss and moan till i get all my money back and learn not to do it again because i can't be arsed with all this hassle
Steve
Premium Member

17th Feb 07 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its cant be justified, justification would be to provide information into how exactly it costs them £30 to handle it
Ally

17th Feb 07 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly, so they are justified for a £5 charge, not a £35 charge
mav

17th Feb 07 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly, a nominal fee of £5-£10 say but £30 is a joke...

Also if they decide not to pay it as you don't have funds in your account they charge you £39 for this pleasure (halifax)
Cosmo

17th Feb 07 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£4.something is what it costs
Twiggy

17th Feb 07 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can i just point out that you signed terms and conditions saying the bank will charge you £X for going over your agreed overdraught. you then go over and the bank charges you....

Dont see what the fuss is about!

If you think the banks charges are excessive dont open an account...

End of the day banks and a PROFIT making company

[Edited on 17-02-2007 by Twiggy]
Steve
Premium Member

17th Feb 07 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

banks are not meant to be a profit making actually
Cosmo

17th Feb 07 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS, they are imposing penalty charges, which is ILLEGAL. Anything over what it costs them in admin fees is classed as this, so you are entitled to the money back.
Carl

17th Feb 07 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twiggy
Can i just point out that you signed terms and conditions saying the bank will charge you £X for going over your agreed overdraught. you then go over and the bank charges you....

Dont see what the fuss is about!

If you think the banks charges are excessive dont open an account...

End of the day banks and a PROFIT making company

[Edited on 17-02-2007 by Twiggy]

good one, you may have noticed all banks have rediculious charges so its not like there is an option, therefore they are taking the piss. Its not as simple as "dont open account" this is the real world where its pretty much impossible to not have a bank account.

Everyone who writes a letter to them to complain should include an invoice in the letter for £30 costs for the pleaseure of you sending them the letter, that would be fair.
Twiggy

17th Feb 07 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
FFS, they are imposing penalty charges, which is ILLEGAL. Anything over what it costs them in admin fees is classed as this, so you are entitled to the money back.

You have signed a legal doc saying you accept charges for XYZ, how is it not legal?

Does not matter how much it costs...
Twiggy

17th Feb 07 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not as simple as "dont open account" this is the real world where its pretty much impossible to not have a bank account.

Errr ok then dont go overdrawn!
Cosmo

17th Feb 07 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twiggy
You have signed a legal doc saying you accept charges for XYZ, how is it not legal?

Does not matter how much it costs...

Becasue the law is Banks cannot impose Penalty Charges, they can claim to cover their admin charges (£5ish) but that is it.
Cosmo

17th Feb 07 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its like me making you sign a contract and somewhere in it I say I can kill you if I wish....wouldnt mean it was all legal and fine for me to do so.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Feb 07 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

contracts dont override law

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bank Charges... 22 database queries in 0.1077828 seconds