corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Weak wireless internet signal

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Weak wireless internet signal
FozzyGSI

User status: Offline
7th Nov 06 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would i keep losing the signal when im only upstairs from the actual router itself?

Do i need a stronger router? If so what do you lot have yourselves that you would recommend?

Its a BT voyager 1500 wireless router btw.

Whittie

7th Nov 06 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a standard router, you can literally get wireless routers for £30 now, including USB connections if your laptop / desktop isnt wireless enabled, £30 in staples, well worth it if its slow.

I have a D-Link.
FozzyGSI

7th Nov 06 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the D-Link anygood?

Its the home pc thats connected to the router which wasnt originally wireless enabled and im using my laptop to connect to it. The signals fine if im downstairs but gets very week in most of the upstairs rooms. Had the this since we installed it and its getting on my tits now tbh.

Just thought i better ask in case i dont waste my money trying to get it stronger when theres not alot i can do.

Whittie

7th Nov 06 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What speed does it say your getting via wireless?
FozzyGSI

7th Nov 06 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where do find that out?
Skylined

7th Nov 06 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on several things sometimes can be affected by floor's/walls in old houses depending what they're made of.

Try it with the laptop next to the router to check the connectiong is ok to start with.

If that's ok then look at getting a better router. Some of the Netgear Rangemax ones are good i've tested one in a house spanning 4 floors. Looking at £90 + for a good one tho

[Edited on 07-11-2006 by Skylined]
FozzyGSI

7th Nov 06 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for that Whittie and Skylined.
I think il look at getting a better router as the signal is ok next the router itself. If those mentioned worked over 4 floors they should be fine in my house.

Cheers
Bram

7th Nov 06 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trying changing the channel that the wireless is transmitting on, also, put some baked bean tins over the aerials
Dom

7th Nov 06 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would look at changing the channel it works (will be an option under the routers settings, plus on your computers wireless options) on like bram said, just to make sure there isn't any interference etc

Apart from that, it could be a cack router - in which case it might be worth investing it another one (Linksys is really good stuff, but D-Link & Netgear are not too bad neither. Just dont get a Belkin, never found one that works properly ). Also, make sure you get one with an inbuilt ADSL modem

[Edited on 07-11-2006 by Dom]
Teknologikal

10th Nov 06 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check that your antenna can be unscrewed and if so, get a booster from Maplin so you can extend it. The booster screws onto where the old antenna went but gives you a meter or so of extra cable so you can mount it higher for better reception.

New Poll