corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless broadband set-up.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless broadband set-up.
Tiger

User status: Offline
24th Mar 06 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My knowledge of PC's is ok but when it comes to Wireless networking etc I know very little.

I just want to get the laptop on wireless and use the main PC's internet but as yet have zero wireless equipment. Can somebody recommend or point me in the right direction please.

Much obliged

Ben.
waynep

User status: Offline
25th Mar 06 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first off you need a wireless router, this is the box that connects to the internet and sends out your wireless signal, costs bout 40-60 ish

the router plugs into the dsl phone line socket then into the mains for power and lastly your home pc via an ethernet cable. the router is installed and configured on that pc , you configure it by typing your isp's details into the routers set up page (ie your password / username for your broadband provider)

once the internet is set up wired to that pc you can configure the options of your router to act wirelessly, turn wireless on via the router control panel and give your wireless signal a name and maybe a passkey so no one else can latch on to your wireless signal

to receive the signal on your laptop you need a wireless card, either a usb one or for a laptop a PCI slot one . cost £ 10-25 ish

once you have the wireless adapter card installed on your laptop it will pick up the signal from your router , type the passkey you assigned earlier and bingo it will set up an IP address for your connected laptop and you can now browse the net , proiding that you entered all your user details correctly when setting up the router.

hope that helped, let me know , cheers

waynep.com

New Poll