corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Fire!!!!! UPDATE AND PIC......!!!??!!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fire!!!!! UPDATE AND PIC......!!!??!!!
mav

User status: Offline
1st Nov 06 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well....

in our living room our fireplace is a electric living flame fire with limestone surround really nice...But I always thought from the time we moved in it should not be running off a normal household plug...
Well I was proved right tonight....

the electrician was here from 6-9pm fitting lights and sorting out some wiring to hot water and one of the radiators etc...totally seperate issue

About 10pm I was upstairs and Karen started screaming for me..I was like what the fuck, ran down and she had moved her chair into the middle of the living room, place was stinking with smoke....

The plug socket the fire was plugged into went up in flames !!!!! She said she had her eyes closed sitting on the chair next to this socket and whatever reason she opened them and flames were going up the wall....!!!! I quickly killed the electricity to the house...In candle light inspected the socket and it's all melted including the plug to fire and black marks up wall..Least we haven't decorated living room yet...

I always knew the guy that had house before us was dodgy but FFS....I am sure the fire should run from a a spur or fused socket etc...

Socket is isoalted at moment and going to get electrician to look..When he was here early he found some dodgy stuff in fuse boxes that he fixed already...

my wee story for tonight

[Edited on 01-11-2006 by mav]

WATSON

1st Nov 06 at 01:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lucky one mate Chair could have gone up in smoke and the other half could have got burnt

Good job someone was in the house at the time.
jamied

1st Nov 06 at 01:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unlucky dude
shame electrician never spotted it earlier when he was there. lucky really that u caught it early
mav

1st Nov 06 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The suite is leather and is right next to that socket...

Electrician wasn't anywhere near here, if I had thought I should have asked him about it but he had enough to do...

Plug is always pulled when nobody in house or in bed but

we could have been upstairs or anything....

Te fire I'm positive should not run off a simple plug...Must be drawing way to much current for that I think.
Robin
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 01:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lucky you were there
mav

1st Nov 06 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye nightmare...

Found alot of dodgy stuff already that we have fixed electricity wise...

Some stuff the night that electrician found in fuse box was a fire hazard..Loose connections / wires etc....

One fuse panel certain fuses being run from another fuse panel..So if you turn it off and think it's dead was still getting power etc
Robin
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 01:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take it the previous owner wired it himself?

My brother had a similar problem with his house, none of the sockets had switches on, not even in the kids rooms . And they get through about 10 lightbulbs a month. All because the bloke who owned their house before was a plumber, and thought he could do the wiring too.
James

1st Nov 06 at 01:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have bought a Bush

Seriously though, sounds pretty hectic, get it sorted
mav

1st Nov 06 at 01:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ james...

Not sure if it was the guy himself or somebody else he hired but didn't do too well....

I need to get somebody to confirm when I speak to electrician that that fire should not run off a house plug socket without some safety in place.
Icy

1st Nov 06 at 01:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

scary shit
good all of u's are ok
jamied

1st Nov 06 at 02:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FIRE!!!

Ally

1st Nov 06 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eeek, the fire in my living room runs from a plug -> socket

Its a small slivery leccy one, is that ok?
Shelly
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dunno whether you know but anyone installing Electric into the house needs to be qualified in testing too. Part P I think it is called.
Tiger

1st Nov 06 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mav
electrician was here from 6-9pm fitting lights and sorting out some wiring to hot water and one of the radiators etc.

Yep - I see your problem......
Andrew

1st Nov 06 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad your missus and kids are ok Mav, cold have been a lot worse!

I'm sure it should be on a seperate fuse and have a special socket like you do for electric cookers.
Ally

1st Nov 06 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shelly
I dunno whether you know but anyone installing Electric into the house needs to be qualified in testing too. Part P I think it is called.

Yeah, and they have to give you a certificate after all the work is done as well
--Dave--
Banned

1st Nov 06 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf

Ours sounds similar to yours and runs off a plug
blebo

1st Nov 06 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would be checking the smoke detectors as well if the flames were up the wall the smoke detectors should have sounded ages before that.

C2RL R

1st Nov 06 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not too sure about this. I have seen electric fires in many houses that are plugged in. They are usually around 2kW which means they will draw just over 8.5 amps so they can be plugged in. I suppose you should check the size of the elements in your fire.
Melville

1st Nov 06 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its fine for them to be "plugged" in. The problem is when the house wiring cant take the amps and causes a fire.
Kathryn W

1st Nov 06 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody hell! Sounds dangerous, good job the fire didnt get out of hand!
Colin

1st Nov 06 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds very very lucky the whole place didnt go up!!
Colin

1st Nov 06 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ally
quote:
Originally posted by Shelly

Yeah, and they have to give you a certificate after all the work is done as well

On the other hand I done all mine myself & that way I know its been done right not by some half awake apprentice that cant count past 10
mav

1st Nov 06 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
quote:
Originally posted by mav
electrician was here from 6-9pm fitting lights and sorting out some wiring to hot water and one of the radiators etc.

Yep - I see your problem......

eh? electrician was no where near this..

Took off sockets today and no damage to wires just the actual socket...

Flames up the wall but only about 4" up not to the roof etc all smoke detectors are working too....

fire isn't being used till electrician comes back next week to do some other owrk..

not sure on wattage etc of fire as no instructions and was fitted when we moved in.....

I'll see what electrician says...He's no apprentice either..Time served was a commercial electrician for about 5 years..Worked at my work as electrician for 10 years now going out on his own. wasn't nothing to do with him...

Suppose it could have been a fault with the socket thats all...As all wores behind ok....

I am ok with electrics can do alot myself aswell...

Going to replace socket tonight but fire will not be getting plugged in, plugs all melted anyway

found alot of fualts in the house from guy before us....
JadeM
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OMG Mav that sounds terrifying. I have a fear of being burned or drowning

My fear of fire prob. stems from my evil brother terrifying me when I was little, with stories about what would happen to me if the house went up in flames. He managed to talk me into practicing our 'fire drill' when I was 3 and he was 5 He told me to escape from the upstairs bedroom window, and me only being 3 climbed out and was dangling by my fingertips. Luckily a neighbour spotted me and came banging on our door to tell mum and dad. Needless to say his arse was red raw for days afterwards

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll