corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Fire!!!!! UPDATE AND PIC......!!!??!!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fire!!!!! UPDATE AND PIC......!!!??!!!
RS6

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 06 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bloody hell mav thats shocking are house is 100yrs old + never had anything like that happen

although we had a gas fire fitted, and the guy done a poor job gas leaked out!

we had somebody in for some painting got it checked out and had to have all the floor boards up because the fitter had done such a bad job supposed to be corgi qualifed! his work was shocking could have been gased

[Edited on 02-11-2006 by RS6]
mav

2nd Nov 06 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It never shorted though as Fuse in plug still in tack..

I thik that plug has been fitted at a later date, badly...I reckon there was bare wires inside..My theory anyway.
C2RL R

2nd Nov 06 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nickyboy01
Something like that should be run from a fused socket, usually a low amp fuse as they run quite a high current and as such have melted the plastic in the plug.

At a guess it was an afterthought and not installed with the correct precautions and may well have had a fault otherwise it would have happened sooner

whats a fused socket? ever thought that the plug it was wired into has a fuse in it? plus, low amp fuse coz they run a high current???? wtf are ya on about??? that fire would be rated at 2kW max. normal ratings for plug top fuses are 3 amp, 5 amp and 13 amp. 2kW means it'll draw 8.7 amps tops which is perfectly reasonable to plug in. its a safe bet that there was a
neutral fault in the plug
mav

2nd Nov 06 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate, thats what I was thinking....New plug etc on and all ok....opened it up after 5 hrs of constant use and it's perfect...Looks like a plug fault
mav

2nd Nov 06 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the fire in question

ignore the wall colour, living room been renovated yet
Ally

2nd Nov 06 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats nice Mav, mine is very similar but a cheaper version, the glass panel on the back of mine is a colour changing one, i can have it set to red, orange, yellow, green, blue or purple

What colour u painting living toom?
mav

2nd Nov 06 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye when it's on the glass panel is like a living flame...It's 100% limestone surround

Living room is getting done neutral, creams and coffee etc....
Ally

2nd Nov 06 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, flooring is nice

We hope to have laminates/new carpet next year
mav

2nd Nov 06 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's stripped back floor boards but it's getting replaced when we do living room too with laminate/wood....The stripped floor boards are too dusty ate and bits go in groves etc, specially with 2 kids and that...
Cosmo

2nd Nov 06 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mav
It's stripped back floor boards but it's getting replaced when we do living room too with laminate/wood....The stripped floor boards are too dusty ate and bits go in groves etc, specially with 2 kids and that...

if you think real floor boards are dusty just wait until you get the laminate down...I hate it in my lounge.
mav

2nd Nov 06 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not as bad as stirpped though......least there is no grooves for spilt milk etc to go down
C2RL R

2nd Nov 06 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice fire mate, glad it didnt go up in flames!
baza31

2nd Nov 06 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sthelensr.l.f.c
could have been melting over a period of time, melted the earth and neutral together (this normally gives a loud pop, smoke) im no electrician though, im a plumber (in the middle of doing part P)

Part P fucking bollocks.

I did 4 years training to become an electrician and they let plumbers get this "part p" in a week to do same job around houses?

Personally if i was handing out advice. If you are ever getting anyone to work in your house doing anything to do with electric, make sure they are fully qualified i.e a "proper electrician" not a part p boy. I have been on numerous occasions to sort out problems by other trades who think they can the job.

[Edited on 02-11-2006 by baza31]
mav

2nd Nov 06 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye I've ot a good electrician now he will sort out any mess in the house
baza31

2nd Nov 06 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You might as well mate. End of the day, you could attempt to do the job, theres millions of people who can do electrics/ gas etc which is all well and good untill something happens. I can do plumbing, but i wouldnt touch gas.. you need to know when knowledge meets safety, theres a fine line between which could be the same line between life and death
C2RL R

2nd Nov 06 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
You might as well mate. End of the day, you could attempt to do the job, theres millions of people who can do electrics/ gas etc which is all well and good untill something happens. I can do plumbing, but i wouldnt touch gas.. you need to know when knowledge meets safety, theres a fine line between which could be the same line between life and death

I hate it when people mess with stuff they shouldn't. I have to go round my mates tonite to help him out coz hes taken every light fitting down in his house and cant remember what goes where.

[Edited on 02-11-2006 by C2RL R]
mav

2nd Nov 06 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't do plumbing or gas..

Electric i'm not bad but the simple stuff....Sockets / switches / moving switches extending cabels etc etc...

Part of my job anyway at work electrics.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Nov 06 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mav
the fire in question

ignore the wall colour, living room been renovated yet

i can see a BUSH tv
mav

2nd Nov 06 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No you can't that pic was taken today..

Hitachi baby............
Jules S
Premium Member

2nd Nov 06 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sthelensr.l.f.c
could have been melting over a period of time, melted the earth and neutral together (this normally gives a loud pop, smoke) im no electrician though, im a plumber (in the middle of doing part P)

Part P fucking bollocks.

I did 4 years training to become an electrician and they let plumbers get this "part p" in a week to do same job around houses?

Personally if i was handing out advice. If you are ever getting anyone to work in your house doing anything to do with electric, make sure they are fully qualified i.e a "proper electrician" not a part p boy. I have been on numerous occasions to sort out problems by other trades who think they can the job.

[Edited on 02-11-2006 by baza31]

It's my understanding that plumbers can get a limited part P approval certificate to allow them to Install boilers without the need to call in a qualified electrician.

I might be wrong but im sure I heard that in a recent CPD seminar.
baza31

2nd Nov 06 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your right yes. But turn it the otherway around. I go to move power for a boiler, does that mean i am within my rights to change the plumbing of the pipes? I didnt go to college for four years to just do what a part p qualified plumber can do in a week. Just as i wouldnt try and mess with gas.

Jules S
Premium Member

2nd Nov 06 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
your right yes. But turn it the otherway around. I go to move power for a boiler, does that mean i am within my rights to change the plumbing of the pipes? I didnt go to college for four years to just do what a part p qualified plumber can do in a week. Just as i wouldnt try and mess with gas.

Believe me Baz....I understand where you are coming from.

For a long time its been a problem with boilers, which is (partly) why part P was introduced.

IE....corgi lad can plumb it in....but how can he commission it (and be responsible) when the sparkie wires it up?

Personally i think Part P is good in that respect, no offence, but plumbers know what is needed in respect of electrical supplies to their plant....and as long as the lead designer knows what's what (me) I will make sure the plumbers and electricians talk to each other to make sure you satisfy each others needs.

I shouldn't worry too much about plumbers invading your work....it's probably going to get worse not better in that respect
CorsAsh

6th Nov 06 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of our old houses, when we moved in, discovered the previous owners had been running an electric cooker from a normal socket Took it off and that was nicely toasted.
C2RL R

6th Nov 06 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
One of our old houses, when we moved in, discovered the previous owners had been running an electric cooker from a normal socket Took it off and that was nicely toasted.

Oven, hob or both???
CorsAsh

6th Nov 06 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll