corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Fire!!!!! UPDATE AND PIC......!!!??!!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fire!!!!! UPDATE AND PIC......!!!??!!!
mav

User status: Offline
1st Nov 06 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus christ Jade

UPDATE

Took double socket off wall and all wires behind out, looks like it's only burnt at the neutral hole on socket...

On insepction of plug for the fire looks like it is only burnt around the neautral pin?

Took plug apart and this is what I found.

Not been the socket or electrics it's the plug that has been faulty or bare wires showing. Looks like it has burnt through at the holder that holds insulation down then burnt all the plastic I think going by pic looks like one of the wires was going over holder instead of below...

New plug fitted correctly and plugged into new socket etc and all working ok.....

Not going to have fire on at the moment unless somebody is in living room until I can find out the wattage etc of fire and if ok to run off household plug..

Any opinions on maybe the cause of plug burning out like that???

NOTE the fuse in the plug is still ok aswell so burnt out at bottom...

[Edited on 01-11-2006 by mav]
--Dave--
Banned

1st Nov 06 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James

1st Nov 06 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --Dave--

--Dave--
Banned

1st Nov 06 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some sort of dodgy connection perhaps?

Note how I really don't have a clue when it comes to electrics
James

1st Nov 06 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --Dave--
some sort of dodgy connection perhaps?

Note how I really don't have a clue when it comes to anything

Don't be so hard on yourself
mav

1st Nov 06 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah glad it was the plug burnt out and not the socket/electrics...

mattk

1st Nov 06 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could have been melting over a period of time, melted the earth and neutral together (this normally gives a loud pop, smoke) im no electrician though, im a plumber (in the middle of doing part P)
Colin

1st Nov 06 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

............is the fuse intact??? Is it the correct fuse in it?? Looks well dodgy
mav

1st Nov 06 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Karen said she thought she has smelt something over last few days....

I think as it's been colder over last few days fire has been on more and more of a chance to heat up and start melting the plastic...

Colin the fuse is intact and still working.. so really it's not been an electric problem but the wiring and melting the plastic, my guess too much bare wire showing...
Colin

1st Nov 06 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the fact its melted says theres been too much current & the fuse hasnt done its job

or

Maybe the cables been frayed & caused a short circuit......

Who know......think you have been very lucky

[Edited on 01-11-2006 by Colin]
nickyboy01

1st Nov 06 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something like that should be run from a fused socket, usually a low amp fuse as they run quite a high current and as such have melted the plastic in the plug.

At a guess it was an afterthought and not installed with the correct precautions and may well have had a fault otherwise it would have happened sooner
Jules S
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mav,

Not sure of what the regulations are like north of the border....but electrical installations and modifications down here now need to be certificated to show compliance with our building regs.

Essentially, it's my understanding that these certificates need to be held with the deeds in order for the house to be sold......thats not to say loads of small works will fall through the net.

It might be worth checking that your electrician is NICEIC approved...if he is he should be able to check all the wiring in your gaff and give you an approval certificate when he is finished.

Just a thought
Wrighty_1988

1st Nov 06 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From first glance at the piccy, i cant even see a neutral wire. Earth has also been burnt straight through the middle so at some point the earth was live. Fuse in plug would have only blown if there was a surge in power, or a fault in the fire. Dont know why the live isnt in the terminal, im guessing you took it out. Probs was faulty wiring on the neutral.

mav

1st Nov 06 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this was nothing to do with my electrician???? This was the previous owners handy work..There was nothing in deeds etc about an electric fire??? never seen that...

My electrician is top notch...known him for years and years....

Going to get him to look at it when he is here next week...

I think there has been a frayed wire inside the plug that due to fire getting more use of late it has been steadily heating up and eventually burnt the casing..

Fire has been on for 4 hrs now solid and we have been watching and feeling the plug and it's normal, no heat etc etc...
mav

1st Nov 06 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty_1988
From first glance at the piccy, i cant even see a neutral wire. Earth has also been burnt straight through the middle so at some point the earth was live. Fuse in plug would have only blown if there was a surge in power, or a fault in the fire. Dont know why the live isnt in the terminal, im guessing you took it out. Probs was faulty wiring on the neutral.

I never took live out mate, thats how it was when I opened plug..
Wrighty_1988

1st Nov 06 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the wire doesnt look like it arced up at any point because all the wire looks neat at the ends, fire could (guessing) have caused the plug to shrink slightly and pull the eiwre out, or there is still pieces of wire in the terminal and the wire snapped off. Bit of a mystery.
mav

1st Nov 06 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking at it now there is still live wire inside the terminal...
Mistamist

1st Nov 06 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it looks like the rubber on the wires has peished over time and exposed the wires, heat and moisture will cause this.
mav

1st Nov 06 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It might be worth checking that your electrician is NICEIC approved...if he is he should be able to check all the wiring in your gaff and give you an approval certificate when he is finished.

Just a thought

I'll ask him that when he is here next week...Think i'll get him to look over the whole house...He found some dodgy stuff in fuse box other night..
Wrighty_1988

1st Nov 06 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably snapped off then, so it wasnt the live that caused the problem because it was in position and screwed down tightly. Either it was dodgy wiring or there is a fault with the fire.
mav

1st Nov 06 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M15T XE
it looks like the rubber on the wires has peished over time and exposed the wires, heat and moisture will cause this.

thats what I thought and eventually the heat with longer usuage has caused the burn out.
mav

1st Nov 06 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty_1988
probably snapped off then, so it wasnt the live that caused the problem because it was in position and screwed down tightly. Either it was dodgy wiring or there is a fault with the fire.

yeah..As said above been on for 4hrs constant and no heat from plug at all..What I might do is later take new plug apart and check it.....
Steve
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my wee story for tonight,

i ventured upstairs, wen6
for a piss, wiped my willy with some tissue.

the end

[Edited on 01-11-2006 by Steve]
Jules S
Premium Member

1st Nov 06 at 23:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mav

Just a thought

I'll ask him that when he is here next week...Think i'll get him to look over the whole house...He found some dodgy stuff in fuse box other night..

I was just trying to give you some friendly advice mate

What i posted is very relevant to us in england from april (iirc)

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/PartP.cfm

Make what you want of it....might not be relevant in scotland...i was trying to share some of my knowledge
Adam-D

1st Nov 06 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my living room fire has a sealed plastic plug on it
its an electric one

maybee that pulg was fitted at a later date and is wrong??

surly if it shorted then the breaker in the main house fusebox would have tripped?

is that socket on the wall earth'd properly?
do you have a earth leakage circuit breaker?

i would have the fire and the sockets and brekers tested

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll